Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at Big Muscamoot today. Going in no problem, got to the South Channel Lite and headed north along the rows and rows of boats to meet our friends. Coming out, whew! Thought I was following my course in, but came out too much west of the Channel Lights and hit bottom. Whats the best way in? Thanks for all the answers to my questions. This board is so frickin helpful!!!!
Also, if I kicked up mud and stuff, what do I need to check on my boat? I have i/o twins. Already checked props, look good. Ran fine after we finally got into deeper water.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Check your impellers - if you sucked up mud, it can clog your water pumps. Did you notice any high temps? I assume not, since you said the boat ran fine after you hit the deeper water. Still, you might want to check the impellers - better to change'em at the dock than bobbing around in the middle of the lake...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
just have to be care full and go slow , and raise out drive up some when your going in thats all i do , , and watch for mud kicking up . was at gull island last sat and got stuck there , not comming in but after anchoring for the day when ready to leave boat didnt want to move at all , , luckly some nice people we met pam and ed and another person saw us trying to get out and helped push boat off sand bar , wont try and get so close next time this was on the south side of island .better to brave the cold water for a few more yards then mess something up . . still learning ,as allways. be real crefull if you go to seeway next to gull a freighter came by and scked all water out out boat was almost beeched when water came back in tossed our boat like a toy in a pool , and it a 24 ft , live and learn ,, i guess and try and pass it on when we do . to help others ,

G

·
When I go into the moot, I head in through the buoys south of the lights and from there head back with the 2 lighthouses lined up behind me. I run in on plane and come off when I get passed the condos(?) where the shore is undeveloped. I punched in the spot where I came off plane last time and can get it off the gps tonight. Going in this way, I never stir up any sand when I drop off plane. Now when I leave from the exact same spot, I stir up a lot of the bottom, but since I know I'm deep enough, I think it's just the prop wash stirring it up. For the first couple of seconds on take-off, the props are pointed down some and while they may not be in the sand, they do mix it up quite a bit.

If you idle too far out towards the lighthouses, you may as well idle the whole way out. It gets a little thinner which makes it hard to get on plane without hitting bottom.

Seaway is a whole different issue. If it's crowded, you need to set 2 anchors or you will swing like crazy around the one when a freighter passes. We were there once last year when one passed and we knew it would be bad. About 20 minutes before, a jetski with 2 people pulled up and they put out a cooler and towels and were laying out in the sun near the water. I waded out to check the back anchor and the kids were putting on life jackets (they like to ride the wave down the beach). I looked up and the 2 people were not moving at all. They seemed to be amazed by why the water had receeded but were totally oblivious to the 1-2' wall of water coming down the beach. I walked up and asked them if they had ever been here when a freighter went by and they said no. I told them they had about 20 seconds to pick up the cooler and their towels or they would get washed away. Anyway, I guess the point of that is that it is good to pass on what you know and help people out, even when the potential entertainment value seems almost irresistable.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jun 23 2003, 11:01 AM)even when the potential entertainment value seems almost irresistable.

Your a good man Bill....I might of just sat and laughed.

G

·
LOL Rerun. You gotta know that the devil on my one shoulder was screaming at me not to say anything. If I had a video camera, it might have gone a different way...

·
Registered
718 Posts
bill272...what a guy, what a guy. I've seen people try to beach it there before. If we didn't tell them what would happen, they'd be calling Mich. Salvage

G

·
This guy was lucky because he did anchor the jetski instead of beaching it. I haven't seen anyone beach there yet, but did see someone anchor in too close and it was resting on the bottom for a half minute or so when the water got sucked away. I can't imagine what would happen to a beached boat, it would just get pushed down the beach wreaking havoc and pulling up anchors. I've been out with one anchor and tried to hold the boat in position with a line off the back and the pull of the current is amazing. Oh, another PSA here - Don't go there with one anchor and expect to hold your boat with a line off the stern. It's a good idea on paper, but a bad one in the water.

·
12,052 Posts
When I go in I follow the deeper numbers on my chart plotter / GPS. I go up near to the old lights, then turn into the bay, then curve to the right, then to the left. There is a 3 on the plotter, which makes a perfect place to get off plane and take off. Look on the chart where the deeper numbers are and where is is marked here. I draw 36" with NO adjustment. Another note, I would never think of trying to go in not on plane.

Attachments

·
12,052 Posts
I brought up maptech cruising navigator and loaded the chart for that area. Printed screen, then edited in paint shop pro. Have to work on the path part.

G

·
Here's the coordinates where I came off plane last week, which is pretty much where I usually do, but I've never plotted it.

N 42 32.842
W 82 40.323

Here it is on a chart...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts