34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 Bass Tracker Kevlar 1710
1986 90HP L6 With Power Trim
550 Max Weight and Gear
4 Person Limit (Hope other three are Tiny LOL
)
4500-5000prm range

She ( S.S. Rube AKA S.S. Rube Goldberg) will get up on plane in calm sees very quickly, by myself (Im a big guy 320lbs) or with my fishing buddy (150lbs soaking wet) aboard. In windy, rough, or calm seas she will get to 2000-2300 rpm and stay there for a while. I then have my fishing buddy get up front while i adjust the power trim ( which raises the RPM) and she will slowly get on plane. In rough seas it takes much longer and sometimes will not get on plane at all (bow like a sail). When on plane she will do about 30 mph at 4000-4300 rpm.

My mechanic worked on/fixed
1) New stator
2) Rebuillt carbs.
3) Rebuilt fuel pump
4) New gapless plugs
5) New bulb and hoses
6) Spliced some cracks in wiring from battery
7) New fuel seperator filter
8) New in line fuel filter
9) New/rebuilt prop old style 13-17 (freebee) replaced beat up new style 13-1/4-19

My next area to look at, I think is cylinder compression and then the coil packs.

I am afraid to take my kids out if i can't get them to safety in a hurry. Me and fishing buddy will wait out the weather but I never put my kids in harms way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!

S. S. Rube (MAI)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
17 footer with a 90hp on it should plane no problem. My 20' with a 50hp will struggle if there is a lot of weight in the rear. Can't think of anything you haven't looked into. Check the bilge pump? No water in the bilge?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(snowman @ Jul 11 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>17 footer with a 90hp on it should plane no problem. My 20' with a 50hp will struggle if there is a lot of weight in the rear. Can't think of anything you haven't looked into. Check the bilge pump? No water in the bilge?

Thanks for the reply Sowman. I always pump out before taking off. Also have the live well valve closed so no extra weight in them.

S.S. Rube

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would recommend checking the coil packs and compression. Sounds like a spark or compression problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far peeps. Keep them coming. Me and my fishing buddy are headed to the palms launch now. Flag and say hay if your out.

Thanks
S.S. Rube

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Is this a new prob? If not, and it's always been like that, might want to try a set of Smart Tabs.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/

I have a set on my 18' bow rider, and they are worth their weight in gold. Not to mention, the company that makes them are top notch in customer service!! You won't find a better bunch.

Of course, definitely make sure you have a good running engine first.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Slow down for a minute...Let's assume your motor is fine..With that setup you shouldn't need any tabs..That boat should jump out on plane....

The on Plane RPMs that you gave is that WOT??????
What is your Prop to Pad height....The difference from your prop shaft to the pad of your boat..Should be somewhere between 2-4 inches on that boat to start with..
How is the gear dispersed in your boat???
Is your motor trimming all the way in when you launch???
Are you running a stainless prop....The RPM numbers you gave seem a little low so I would see if you can get some props to play with....I would think that boat should be able to turn a mercury 19P, but I am not that familiar with a 90 horse on that boat...

What is a basstracker Kevlar?? Is that a Glass boat???

I would definetly take a look at the compression numbers, but don't sink a bunch of money into things until you check the cheap and easy stuff first......

Try this site for some up to date answers from guys that know what they are talking about...More than I do anyway...

Bass Boat Central

I would be willing to bet that you can fix it with propping adjustments...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My opinion is that the set-up is fine for calm seas and not in "rough" weather. Thus it is not a mechanical problem. You have a fairly light boat and it will catch some wind and waves and be pushed a bit by LSC rough conditions. You can do some things however to improve a little.

1. You need to first of all make sure you are trimmed all the way down when trying to get on plane. In rough water, it is very important to trim 100% all the way down when nailing the gas or you'll struggle to plane. That's just how it is.

2. Try a 4 blade prop instead of the three blade prop that I assume you are using. My bass boat loses about 2 mph off of top-end with a 4 blade, but handles the rough stuff better than a 3 blade, and absolutely jumps out of the hole regardless of the weather.

3. With all due respect, you have too much weight in the back to begin with. Move some stuff towards the front. Anchor, tackle, anything. You need to play with the weight balance, especially with you being over 300# yourself back there plus a 90 hp motor on that hull. You have a light-hulled boat with significant weight in the back. It may work in calm weather, but I can see why this would cause some issues when the wind kicks up. You stated that you and the buddy weigh 470# and the boat is only rated for 550# so you have in essence maxed out the capacity of the boat by the time you put gas in it, put a tackle box in, and step on board.

4. The bottom line is that a 17' bass tracker is not a great choice for rough LSC conditions and you may need to end up either buying a bigger boat or leaving your buddy home on rough days.

Hope some of this helps and let us know how you end up!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
QUOTEIn windy, rough, or calm seas she will get to 2000-2300 rpm and stay there for a while. I then have my fishing buddy get up front while i adjust the power trim ( which raises the RPM) and she will slowly get on plane. In rough seas it takes much longer and sometimes will not get on plane at all

Thats exactly how my boat behaves if its heavy aft. I was assuming that you have not changed anything, prop, gear load and distribution, new kicker, etc...and this "slow to plane" is something new. If the boat seems fine with just you in it its got to be load/weight distribution. Verify what rpm you should be running and make sure you get there with just you in the boat. If the prop is correct and original you probably don't really want to run on plane when its that rough anyway.
Make sure the bilge is empty when the bow has lifted. Mine always pumps out more when the nose is up. A little water can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Little guy, I think you and I are on the same line of thinking. Yes a 4 blade prop most likely will help, but I stand by my $110 self adjusting tabs as a very helpful addition as well. Not in place of all of the other suggestions, but as another tool to use.

I seem to be one of the only boats on LSC that runs them - they are absolutely the best money I have spent - yet people always hit me up at the ramp wanting to know about them......

But I am not a salesman for them, just speak from experience....

·
Registered
761 Posts
As another victim of a small boat I advocate the Smart Tabs. I put them on last week and she is a totally different boat. Whatever you decide to do regarding your planing issue, I would still highly recommend them after you get everything else worked out.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
9) New/rebuilt prop old style 13-17 (freebee) replaced beat up new style 13-1/4-19

this is where I'd start first. go back to your old prop (if you have or your mech. does) and see what it does.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 11 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>9) New/rebuilt prop old style 13-17 (freebee) replaced beat up new style 13-1/4-19

this is where I'd start first. go back to your old prop (if you have or your mech. does) and see what it does.

Agreed. You just lost a lot of low end with that switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peeps:

Moto yes it is a glass boat. The on plane rpm are what i get at full throttle. Went out last night and she got up fine. Fished for a while then went to grassy with wind at bow and could not get up, got soaked with waves on the way. Came back from grassy and she got up fine. Went out this morning and had no problem at all getting up. I think I may have come up with somethiing today. We started to get going at maybe 1/2-3/4 throttle and trim all the way down, got the rpms to about 3000 before i gave it full throttle and she got up pretty good. The water was pretty smooth this morning though.

Islander and Cadmonkey I will give it a try. It is pretty beat up. But i will take it to the guys in Algonac and have them repair it. When i had them repair the old style one, the guy said I would have better performance with the new style 13-19. He said it could be repaired.

Little Guy and Snowman i did what you guys suggested with the weight transfer today. Took out my large cooler and big tackle box. And like i said above it helped.

Nitwit, Gary454 and Bowtie i will those things a try it the repair of the 13-19 doesnt help.

Thanks to all!!!

S.S. Rube (MAI)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(S.S. RUBE @ Jul 12 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peeps:

...We started to get going at maybe 1/2-3/4 throttle and trim all the way down, got the rpms to about 3000 before i gave it full throttle and she got up pretty good. The water was pretty smooth this morning though.

Islander and Cadmonkey I will give it a try. It is pretty beat up. But i will take it to the guys in Algonac and have them repair it. When i had them repair the old style one, the guy said I would have better performance with the new style 13-19. He said it could be repaired.

is your prop alum or stainless? switching the old one, if alum, to a new stainless in the same size will change things also.

find someone to borrow one from in the old size thats brand new or reconditioned, then switch between the 17 pitch and the 19 pitch and try a couple runs up wind and down. changing props is bascially like messing with gear ratio's in a car, your gonna have a differant results with low end grunt (torque out of the hole) and top end speed, typically one is a trade off for the other.

sounds like your new prop might be too big...diamter and pitch...it (the new prop) should theoratically get you more top end speed on your boat but to get on plane you need to follow reggies's advice in this video, using trims tabs. IF you have power trim tabs, do you?

reggie explains a lot in the end of this video....

·
Registered
526 Posts
As a small boat owner (15' BR w/ 50 hp merc) I had very similar problems in rough weather+no power trim so I had to lift motor and move the pin to adjust the trim. I bought a doelfin ($35), what a difference it keeps the bow down but you still have to be careful in rough water with a boat thatsize, with the trim all the way down a wave frome the side can really pitch the bow to the side,
but I agree with the post about your rpms, a prop with to much pitch wil never spin up to make rpms and is very hard on motor/lower unit, just guessing your rpms should at least get 5000, however your tachometer may have different settings which will give you a reading that is way off from the actual rpm's.

If a doelfin or similar whatchamacallit doesn't fix it I would go to rose marine and bite the bullet, they will tell you whats going on and give you different options, they are competitive price wise and there work is top notch, good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 12 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(S.S. RUBE @ Jul 12 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peeps:

...We started to get going at maybe 1/2-3/4 throttle and trim all the way down, got the rpms to about 3000 before i gave it full throttle and she got up pretty good. The water was pretty smooth this morning though.

is your prop alum or stainless? switching the old one, if alum, to a new stainless in the same size will change things also.

find someone to borrow one from in the old size thats brand new or reconditioned, then switch between the 17 pitch and the 19 pitch and try a couple runs up wind and down. changing props is bascially like messing with gear ratio's in a car, your gonna have a differant results with low end grunt (torque out of the hole) and top end speed, typically one is a trade off for the other.

sounds like your new prop might be too big...diamter and pitch...it (the new prop) should theoratically get you more top end speed on your boat but to get on plane you need to follow reggies's advice in this video, using trims tabs. IF you have power trim tabs, do you?

Thanks Cadmonkey. What does Cadmonkey stand for, Im Cad/Cam programmer.

S.S. Rube

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Jul 12 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a small boat owner (15' BR w/ 50 hp merc) I had very similar problems in rough weather+no power trim so I had to lift motor and move the pin to adjust the trim. I bought a doelfin ($35), what a difference it keeps the bow down but you still have to be careful in rough water with a boat thatsize, with the trim all the way down a wave frome the side can really pitch the bow to the side,
but I agree with the post about your rpms, a prop with to much pitch wil never spin up to make rpms and is very hard on motor/lower unit, just guessing your rpms should at least get 5000, however your tachometer may have different settings which will give you a reading that is way off from the actual rpm's.

If a doelfin or similar whatchamacallit doesn't fix it I would go to rose marine and bite the bullet, they will tell you whats going on and give you different options, they are competitive price wise and there work is top notch, good luck.

gldnrcher it does have one of those watchamacallits. It is and old one, just kind of a flat plat aluminum.

Thanks

S.S. Rube

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

[/quote]

Thanks cadmonkey informative video.

S.S. Rube

1 - 20 of 25 Posts