Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
My nephew and I prefished the Grand on Saturday. Yesterday we went out on Clair for some walleye for dinner. We were trolling the north end of the dumping grounds with crawler harnesses with Gulp worms. My nephew caught a 36" Muskie. We were listening to the radio chatter. I think there was a Muskie tournament going on. Guys were complaining about how slow it was. We laughed about not trying to catch Muskie and catching them. I boated a nice chunky walleye. My nephew lost two more fish. Just came unbuttoned. Then it happened. I was watching my rod tip and it started to twitch pretty good then it just went down slow. I thought for sure I had weeds. Picked up the rod and pulled. Felt a heavy tugging at the other end, then the line just starting going out. Going going going. I was fishing with 12lb Cajun Easy Cast on a medium action Gary Roach Berkley Lightning Rod. Light tackle for sure for what I was about to catch. The fish stayed down for the longest time. I started to think Sturgeon. Then it came near the surface fifty yards behind the boat. I could not make out what it was but did see that this was one HUGE fish. Had my nephew pull in all lines and we stopped the trolling motor.
It was another 15 minutes before we got a look at this fish. A giant Muskie. Well over 50" and 6" across its back easy. Almost 12" top to bottom. A head the size of a small gator. Eyes the size of quarters. The fish swam diliberately and slow. I just kept steady pressure. What else could I do. Once the fish saw the boat the fun began.
Several charging leaps out of the water. Sounded twice more. I could not believe the crawler harness was holding. It surely would not last much longer. 40 minutes total fight time had the fish gliding up next to the boat.
The biggest Muskie I have ever seen. The largest fresh water fish I have ever caught. A once in a lifetime fish. Possible record class.
I had no net that would handle that fish and I did not want to harm it. Too big to handle by hand without hurting it. I definitely did not want to lift it out of the water. I grabbed the leader to make it a legal catch and then snapped the worn mono leader from its mouth. The fish glided back to its home.
No camera in the boat, no tape measure, nothing.
Just a witness and a memory of the biggest Muskie I have ever seen.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Fantastic Story: HOLY MOLEY---Your commended for not hurting it. Bob is proud of you and wait till he hears this story. Are you still shakin? How did you sleep? Lite line for that fish and you got it. Took your time didn't horse, and you got a memory burn. Goes to show you when your fishing there's lots of surprise's.

h2o<--says WTG!!!! Grrrrrrrr 8

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am still pumped about the catch.
I see I probably would have won the tournament with that fish. But thats me. Always catch the big fish before or after the tournament or when "NOT IN THE TOURNAMENT".

·
Registered
216 Posts
My wife and I had a similar experience this weekend while bass fishing. She set the hook on a fish and started reeling it in when it turned and peeled 100ft of drag. It stopped for a few seconds then peeled out more drag. After fighting the fish for 15 mins. We where directly over it and she was finally lifting it up to the point we should just about see it and POP. I thought the line broke until she reeled up a 13" smallmouth that was almost ripped in half. Never did see the musky, but there is no doubt it was huge!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Wags,...get a replica made!!! Man I would!!..NICE FISH!!!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Now that is a great story! Enough details about what, when, and where without giving GPS co-ordinates or reuining the story.

Thanks for sharing that. What fun!

·
Registered
35 Posts
great story, i got ripped behind the st. clair light on friday pulling in a crank bait to clean weeds. not near that size but still fun. i pulled the hooks from him while he was still in the water never handled him. might have been 36-40 inches.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be more than happy to give the GPS coordinates of where the fish hit. It is an 8' platue just south of the cement channel marker on the northwest end of the dumping grounds. There seems to be alot of muskie in there right now. I have a waypoint right on it.
Who wants it?

·
12,052 Posts
Sounds like a typical fish story to me.

I saw the tournament winning fish at Idle Hour Saturday night on Fearles' Viking. 53-1/4" long. $14,000. Almost enough to make me start fishing.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Good job Madwags. Catching that fish must have been the thrill of a lifetime. Now you have to invest in a digital camera for the next one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts