Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
you shoulda seen this bucket of gills this guy had at beacon cove. was over a month ago though. i got a few in the marina by ginos but that was also like a month ago. both spots have gills at certain times. might be worth a shot

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE(kseven @ Feb 18 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>went out by gino's monday caught 25 10 to 12 inch sunnies 100yards southof gino's 200yards out

not to be rude here...but I am kinda tired of people posting that they have caught tons of 10 to 12 inch gills....
when in actuallity a 8 in gill is VERY big...even for lSC...a 12" gill could be a record and is FAR from a normal occurance. Many guys who target gills above other fish rarely see a 10" fish. In the gill world there is a massive difference between numbers of 9" and number of 10" fish. a 12" is a trophy and a true fish of a lifetime. It woudl be akin to saying...
"I was out the other day and landed 5 8lb smallies...no big thing."

measure your gills...dont guess...and take pictures with a ruler

do a search at this site.
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/MASTERANGLER/MasterAngler.asp

yes 12" gills are a possibility...but even amongst master anglers they are not the norm...and you certainly dont fill a bucket with them.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Feb 18 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kseven @ Feb 18 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>went out by gino's monday caught 25 10 to 12 inch sunnies 100yards southof gino's 200yards out

not to be rude here...but I am kinda tired of people posting that they have caught tons of 10 to 12 inch gills....
when in actuallity a 8 in gill is VERY big...even for lSC...a 12" gill could be a record and is FAR from a normal occurance. Many guys who target gills above other fish rarely see a 10" fish. In the gill world there is a massive difference between numbers of 9" and number of 10" fish. a 12" is a trophy and a true fish of a lifetime. It woudl be akin to saying...

yes 12" gills are a possibility...but even amongst master anglers they are not the norm...and you certainly dont fill a bucket with them.

DUDE!!! your kayak must be one heck of an ice breaker to be out catching illegal 8lb smallies!!

Just yanking yer chain you know I got nothing but love fer ya

Hey was this you??

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Feb 18 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kseven @ Feb 18 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>went out by gino's monday caught 25 10 to 12 inch sunnies 100yards southof gino's 200yards out

I hear ya'. It's just funny how some people show up on the forum and within in their first 5 posts, it's some BS post like this bucket full of monster "sunnies". They don't fool any of us.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Feb 19 2010, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol thats an awesome pic!...wonder what the heck they were doing?

I have no idea what he was doing but he does not seem to be successful with what ever it is

·
Registered
329 Posts
QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Feb 18 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kseven @ Feb 18 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>went out by gino's monday caught 25 10 to 12 inch sunnies 100yards southof gino's 200yards out

yea i agree i think posts like these are no doubt BS!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We caught some nice ones in Compass Pointe 2 wks. ago. No 10-12" but a few 7-8". Tried the same spot last weekend but with the lower water levels it was dead. I wouldn't bother going back there until the water came back up. I agree with a few of the posts about the 10-12" gills or sunnies. Not saying its impossible but in all my years of targeting gills, I've never seen one that big.

We're probably going to try Prince Lake in Bald Mtn. Rec. area tomorrow for gills, sunnies. perch and crappie. We did real well there in late Dec. - early Jan. and I hear they are picking back up again. Not huge ones but lots of action and plenty big enough to filet.

Speaking of the water levels, I heard from Joel at Pro Bait in Port Huron the the water levels there are up 3 ft. They've got 6 icebreakers working in the lower St. Clair River to try to break up the ice jams. It will be very interseting to see what happens when the the river finally cuts loose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE(Perchaddict @ Feb 19 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And a few of these

nice catch was it this year? The first couple weeks this year i limited out four out of the first 5 times i went out on bluegill, sunnies and spec. but i haven't had any luck since . The water seems to be down 2 1/2 feet now from where i caught them earlier in the year..Betwwen brandonburg and cotton.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(Perchaddict @ Feb 19 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's what 10 inchers look like

Now those are definately some nice gills. 8-9" definately, even larger if you've got huge hands. And that bucket of sunfish and crappie, now that's a good day for sure.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I love Bullgills second only to smallies!

finding and catching the big ones is no easy feat on most lakes...LSC just seems to have a huge population of big ones!

If I ever catch a 11-12" you better believe that baby is gonna get me a master angler and a mount or replica will be made! (depending on how C&R I feel at the moment =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Feb 19 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love Bullgills second only to smallies!

finding and catching the big ones is no easy feat on most lakes...LSC just seems to have a huge population of big ones!

If I ever catch a 11-12" you better believe that baby is gonna get me a master angler and a mount or replica will be made! (depending on how C&R I feel at the moment =)

I agree, even a 10 inch gill is huge, but 12 inchers are potential records. Thats like saying you got a limit of 16 inch perch. Sorry, but that's is near impossible. I've pulled 5 limits of gils this year, and my biggest was about 9 inches and barely fit thru the hole! If people are really getting 10 t o12 inchers they need t opost the pics and get master angler as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I know what you mean, people getting 10-11" perch and calling them 14" Jumbos LOL They always look bigger coming out of the hole but believe me you will know when you have a 14" perch..... Put a tape on them and measure instead of estimating..

·
Registered
735 Posts
popcans/water bottles/hands arent rulers. It might be "hand sized" but that means different things to different people. A Hand sized gill for me is 8"

where a hand sized gill for Sirfishalot is probably 10"

use a ruler like so....if you wanna claim the length of any fish

perchaddict where did you get the top 2 gills?
they look somehow different to me..like hybrids of some sort

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.