Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the 2nd one I've had to replace in the last 3 years. That's about 200 hours runnig time since the last on war replaced.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be that makes it wear so quickly? Maybe an alignment problem?

I got a quote from my marina for $1700, I think that's a bit steep and I'm gonna shop around anyway. Any idea what a fair price would be? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
That gimble ring is supposed to be aligned and retourqed every 100 hours. That could be why the ring is going out. Beacon Marine did mine last year. Cost me around 1600.00 bucks. I would recommend them, they did a great job on it.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask that it be checked at the end of each season, because that's what I was told--I hardly ever put more than 100 hours on my boat in a given year. I think that the most was 120, and that was back out east where I lived much closer to my boat and got out on her during the week.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(NoCode @ Aug 3 2004, 07:31 PM)for future reference.....

how do you know it's bad????

Lots a play in the steering, very difficult to contol at no wake speed. If you physically grab the out drive you will feel the 'play' as you move it back and forth. With a new drive, or gimbal ring the drive will 'flop' maybe 10-15 max degrees. A worn out one, like mine wags back and forth I'd guess +/- 25 to 30 degrees...

The lesson here is that if you own an older boat like me, and you think that it's harder to steer at idle speeds than it used to, then, most likely you have a loose or worn out gimbal ring. You wont feel it on plane, only when you're going slow.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The gimble ring must be lubricated every hundred hours. I'm amazed that things like this don't always get done, even during outdrive service. Sacrificial zincs are also routinely ignored.

If you just had a replacement, and the same place has been doing your yearly maintenance, then I think I'd have a word with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts