Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brought the brother- in - law`s rhino out for it`s last trip on the hard water.
went out far to the left at metro to start the day. fished in 4 ft of water and
managed to catch 50 fish, but no real good size, 7" and 8" being the biggest.
not to happy we decide to head over to Gino's to finish out the day.
we see the van on the ice and figure well it`s last time out for everybody that wants to fish here. so why not join the crowd . we set up at the outer edge of most the people
re adjust are stops for the much deeper water. now every body catching fish, and
we start to hook into some much nicer size perch, one being 12" .
then bro-law voice changes , " this ani`t no perch " I immediately start pulling up all the lines out of the holes, and give him some room to play this thing. now we have 8 inch diameter drilled holes in the ice.
when we get a glimpse of this fish after fighting it for 5 minutes , we starting to think how are we going to land this beast. thank goodness for the drag on such a little real. the pole is bent completely over and he`s fighting this fish with only 6lb test. we realize a gaff would be real nice about right now. small group of guys can only watch, nobody has a gaff. then Rob caught his chance and reached down and yanked him up from the gill plate.
his biggest northern through the ice ever. funny thing we were fishing for perch.
after all the excitement, lighting struck twice and now i have one on, only this sorry
angler is only using 3lb test. my 60 seconds of heart pounding thrill ended with a snap !

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great story. Nice work. When I was out Friday I saw two muskies my first 15 minutes. That cleared out the perch for a good half hour. Not a big deal. I had a beer and they came back. I kept thinking, what if they would have grabbed my line. It was a thrill just to see them trying to eat the perch that were going after my minnow. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Was your buddy in the jeans trying to find you guys for a while yesterday around 3:30? We watched some guy in jeans and a hoody, holding just a minnow bucket, talking to his buddies on his cell trying to find them. We must've watched him for over an hour, he seriously must've walked from gino's all the way to the point at metro and then way the hell out there. A few too many "pops" perhaps? Was hilarious.

Oh yeah, nice fish.

·
Registered
240 Posts
QUOTE(yellownitro @ Mar 7 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>brought the brother- in - law`s rhino out for it`s last trip on the hard water.
we see the van on the ice and figure well it`s last time out for everybody that wants to fish here. so why not join the crowd . we set up at the outer edge of most the people
re adjust are stops for the much deeper water. now every body catching fish, and
then bro-law voice changes , " this ani`t no perch " I immediately start pulling up all the lines out of the holes, and give him some room to play this thing. now we have 8 inch diameter drilled holes in the ice.
when we get a glimpse of this fish after fighting it for 5 minutes , we starting to think how are we going to land this beast. thank goodness for the drag on such a little real. the pole is bent completely over and he`s fighting this fish with only 6lb test. we realize a gaff would be real nice about right now. small group of guys can only watch, nobody has a gaff. then Rob caught his chance and reached down and yanked him up from the gill plate.
his biggest northern through the ice ever. funny thing we were fishing for perch.
after all the excitement, lighting struck twice and now i have one on, only this sorry
angler is only using 3lb test. my 60 seconds of heart pounding thrill ended with a snap !

A buddy and myself were out near the van on sunday also did you shout "there goes the 3lb test" after it broke? we heard a fellow shout something like that and we laughed a little because both of us lost pike this season on small test too. Come to think of it i think i saw your rhino

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(tai @ Mar 9 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(yellownitro @ Mar 7 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>brought the brother- in - law`s rhino out for it`s last trip on the hard water.

A buddy and myself were out near the van on sunday also did you shout "there goes the 3lb test" after it broke? we heard a fellow shout something like that and we laughed a little because both of us lost pike this season on small test too. Come to think of it i think i saw your rhino

that was me . .. heres the van that everybody was taking about..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.