Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have known for about 3 weeks that I was going to be let go
.... Thought maybe some thing good would happen but no such luck. I was let go today SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I will not bash GM and say they aren't good I might even buy a car from them (although now it will be based on best american car deal going on at the time) I had 9 great years with them and there is no way I could have had the schedule I had with other companies, so to them I am greatful. I was able to work 3 days a week since my son was born and that was the greatest thing that could have happened. I am very lucky that I get a severance which is better then nothing.

My heart will go out to all those employees that didn't or don't know that they were going to be let go. It was hard enough knowing so I can't imagine what it would be like to walk in today and be told you have to pack up and leave. I am lucky to have a great husband who has a job right now so I am not stressing beyond belief but sooner or later I will need to enter the work force and that scares the $hit out of me.

Well hope we still have a couple more weeks on the water - - -

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Good Luck Jen when you are ready to start out there but Enjoy the time for a few weeks.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I'm really sorry to read/hear this, Jen. I know it must have been a tough 3 weeks for you before the final day. Good luck in whatever you do in the future.

p.s. In Mich. I always thought we that worked for the school systems or one of the Big 3 would be safe from this and now it seems we are the first losing our jobs.
I watched a special on HBO on the closing of the truck plant in Dayton and it brought tears to my eyes listening to all of the employees. They were like family to each other, as I'm sure a lot of your co-workers were to you.

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
Jen, sorry.
Send me a resume, or I can email you my cousins address.
He is a snr technical recruiter @ venator.

Relax until new year, is what I say, if you can.
Look, but don't worry.

Things will break.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I also have 9 years in at GM and I am sitting on pins and needles waiting to see what happens by the end of the month. Problem is I am the main bread winner and without coming up with another job in the next 6 months I will start to lose what I have.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
So sorry to hear the news.

I had over 8 years with my company and was let go last July. I spend an honest 40 hrs per week working on finding a new job. I would spend 50 but I take care of our 6 month old baby at night while my wife works the midnight shift to keep us afloat. It is worse than the media proclaims. My advise would be to not wait to start looking. You must network as much as possible. You should set up a profile on LinkedIn and connect with me and everyone else you come across in your daily life - even the bank teller that cashes your severance check. It is 90% probable that you will not get a job by just applying thru Monster and such. Not to say that you shouldn't apply that way. I have applied for over 100 jobs that way and have gotten one interview, but no offer yet. The best leads I have are those gotten through my connections. Don't waste your time on jobs that you are truly not a good fit for, you won't even get a call. You need to know someone that knows someone that has a friend that is hiring. Even the govt jobs. I applied for a job a few months back and there were over 1800 applicants for that position. I do not tell you this to scare you or make you feel worse, but I am being brutally honest. Make sure you have someone professional critique your resume. Make sure you have a concise but detailed "sales pitch" and use it on everyone you meet. It gets very depressing to keeping telling everyone your situation, but you must do it. It is staggering the amount of good people that are searching for work. If you want any honest advise, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to tell you everything I have learned in the past 15 months.

Best of luck to you - you'll be fine, it just takes time and a lot of effort.

Kurt Preibisch

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 15 2009, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You should set up a profile on LinkedIn and connect with me and everyone else you come across in your daily life - even the bank teller that cashes your severance check. It is 90% probable that you will not get a job by just applying thru Monster and such.
Agreed on LinkedIn. I even have some recruiters in my network.

And Dice.com has a lot more technical jobs. Last year when I was forced to look for work I checked them every day. The job I have now I found on Dice.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Sorry Jen, hope you find a job soon. Enjoy the extra time with the kids.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Sep 15 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Michigan is in such a crapper. Has been in the crapper longer than any other state in the union.

Which, I hope, means we are the first one out.
FIFO??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.