Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 days and counting to the kick-off of the new season.

Who is making the roadie to Sandusky this weekend? next weekend?

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still need to get my boat. They just finished spit shining today. Im planning on driving down to TN (yes TN) to pick it up on Thur/Fri. Likely spend the weekend getting it rig'ed back up (and kissing the family goodbye till the fall
). Head down to Sandusky Mon, Tue, & Fri to get the line wet. I'm not sure if Dave will make it out of work or not.

What's your plan?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Looks like Friday in Kzoo for DnR's open house, then drive to Sandusky and meet up with Don (he got his boat today and mines not here yet
) for Saturday possibly Sunday fishing. Home on Sunday eve, at least thats MY PLAN. I will talk to Don later this eve........I could be talked into staying an extra day or two.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably be flying solo Mon/Tue. If you stay the extra days, your welcome to ride with me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Erie Rules… I like that handle, I 'm pretty sure that it's going out of Brinkley's I think that is how you say the name of the launch, It's across from Cedar Point a very nice ramp.
Mike
www.erieanglers.com

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, it is at the city of Sandusky's ramp. Suzie Bickley was the wonderful lady who ran it in the past.

The Sandusky Boat Launch facility is run by John Polidan, it is located at 101 Shelby Street in Sandusky, Ohio.

Doug

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great launch and John at the ramp was a great help out there today. Sandusky Bay is pure mud, from top to bottom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Paul and I drove down yesterday (Saturday). The bay, and the lake were muddy. We only caught one smallie all day. Not good. We'll need a lot more than one fish to stay out of last place.

See you no the water.
John

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
It was as expected. Huge weights. The big fat smallies are on the prowl. Steve Clapper protected his backyard with a winning weight of just under 23lbs. A couple others in the 20lb+ category, but most were in 17-19lb+ range. Awesome wieghts by all. It came at a price though, the lake was rocking with heavy NW winds in the morning. 6+' swells as you made your way out of the bay. It was gut check for those of us that decided to make the trip. We were boat 17 so I purposely hung back to see what everyone would do. Half the people bailed for the bay and the other half went for it. In our approach all you could see was the decks of boats. I didn't know bass boats were suppossed to run vertically?? We made it out but mechanical problems limited us to only 1-hr of fishing time. Given the circumstances we felt it was best to play it safe and idled back to the ramp which took up most of the day. Disappointing for us, since we felt like we had a chance to do well going into Saturday. But we'll be back, it's all part of the game.

Now is the time to get out to Sandusky for some exceptional smallie action. I can only imagine what the 5-10 tournie is going to bring as the water continues to warm and the smallies fatten up even further. One of us Michigan boys is going to have to protect our trail!!!! See you all there.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Very well said Alex, but were they only 6 foot swells? Seemed like to me they were closer to 10 footers....

BTW we finished 11th with 17.68, 4.45 big bass....

Final results were:

1st - Clapper and Mangus 22+
2nd - Trombley and Stewart
3rd - Chamberlain and Dixon
Big Bass - Darren Lear 5.7lbs

I just got some pix from John at the ramp and I will post them shortly.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could have been. Anything over my head is big enough. I was too busy trying battle through, I didn't get the tape measure out.
It was certianly an "erie" sight as we approached the mouth. Anyone planning a trip to Cedar Point can save their money, I take em' out next time she blows!! Ride of your life.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I know I've screamed a lot louder running a bass boat out of that mouth than I have on the roller coasters nearby.

Alex, how did the sending unit thing work out? :-0

How many boats braved the cold water and 15 foot waves? (My back is hurting just think about it.)

One last comment: Do any of you think between years of no closed Ohio bass season and egg-gobblin gobies that you caught all the last bass left out there?? It sounds like things are winding down. (Okay, yes I'm bad. Sorry.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did you know that the tournament last Saturday that 1st 2nd 3rd place winners was all I.S.G. Pro Staff
Clapper of Ohio, Trombley of Indiana, and Mike Chamberlin from Michigan all fished in different locations.
I wonder if there is something in that I.S.G. THAT CATCHES FISH.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.