Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Good turnout for the opener on Saginaw Bay. 22+ boats I believe. Except for a slight nip in the morning, the weather was incredible. I've never seen the bay so calm. You could see from shoreline to shoreline. Impressive weights brought in as well. 22lbs took 1st (can't remeber the team names), and top 5 were all over 19lbs. We had a great day fishing, just couldn't find any of those big females. Ended up with 17lbs. Unfortunately that was a few spots behind Mini (who had to bring in a ringer this year, Bass Pro, to start kicking my tail again
).

Had fun, looking forward to Erie in 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
You are cracking me up

Tom is a pretty good stick, and I will admit they were biting his Stick-O better than my tube......what a fun day. But if I had a dollar for everytime he said "You find em, youre better at it than I am!" LOL

Mini

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wished I could have fished with you guys, sounds like the weather held up good for all (that don't happen much for Doug's tournaments NO RAIN ) never seen flat water there yet. Glad to hear every one had a good time.
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
What a great day it was!! It was awesome to finally fish a tourney with Mini...after 5 years of friendship it was the first time we fished a tournament together. You would have never know it!! Mini did the driving and the netting!!! LOL Oh by the way Mini the quote was "you find em' I'll catch em"

What a great weather day! Could we get that lucky next weekend???

I was impressed with the weights. 5 boats over 20lbs on Saginaw Bay was not what I expected. Lots of good sticks in that group!

Too bad our best spot got muddy on us with that North wind on Friday! Oh well that's why it's called fishing!

Alex........sounds like we might have a challenge going on???

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
That was an awesome day, it seemed like we had shared a boat for years......!

Ok I will admit you did catch more, but that magic Stick-O had more to do with it than anything else....lol

I will talk to you soon,

Mini

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, I am vary impressed!!!! I saw the comments about 22#'s to win and all the 19#+ limits and assumed it was a 6 or 7 fish team event. I went to the GNT site and it's only 5 fish....WOW! That's great for the Bay. At least it's great compared to what I normally catch there!

Any stories or general observations anyone would like to share? Did the winning teams fish the islands, weedbeds or bays? GPS coords are appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Well considering that I went to plan number 3 due to the muddy water on spots 1 and 2, we didnt do so bad. Fish were caught all over the place.....heck I had a spot less than a mile from AuGres River mouth. Too bad it was so muddy. I had another fish on a bed that was close to 6.5 pounds.....again chocolate milk the morning of the tourney.

Mini

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback Guys!

With the last minute changes in ramp locations I was concerned about participation. A few years ago we had a tournament that had around 60 boats, in one day we had 2 boats run on the sand bar at Sand Point and another take his lower unit off by North Island. After that we suffered a major lose of anglers. Many Anglers wanted to go out of the west side and I didn't listen to their wants. Participation dropped to 15 boats last year and that was a real eye opener. I stayed hardheaded for way too long and it showed. This year we did as the Anglers wished at the last moment by switching from the east side of the bay to the west side and we were rewarded with an increase of 7 boats.

I appoligize to those of you that fished with us in the past and have learned from my mistakes. Hopefully, many will come back.

Myles and Davis broke our Saginaw Bay record with 5 fish that weighed a Lake Erie........22.20 lbs. Erin Boedigheimer and Jeff Mitchell had 21.22 Jim Baker and Kyle Greene had 20.73 and Ron Spitler and Frank Lepera had 20.11

These are Lake Erie WEIGHTS! All but a few had a big fish that went over 3.5 lbs and the big fish of the day was 5.01. Eleven of the teams were at a 4 lbs average.

Next tournament is Lake Erie out of Sterling State Park and that date is June 12th
Michigan Water that is open only! Basicly Michigan waters are The most southerly tip of Celeron Island. This will be exciting!

If you have that day open, come and join us. We will be at the ramp around 4:00 a.m. and will be blasting off real close to 6:00. The tournament is a 9 hour event, 5 fish limit for the team and by the bar set by these Sticks, you'll need 20.00 lbs LOL

Greater North Tournaments
Doug

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Doug @ Jun 1 2004, 06:10 PM)...All but a few had a big fish that went over 3.5 lbs and the big fish of the day was 5.01. Eleven of the teams were at a 4 lbs average....
Gee, thanks Doug. If I didn't already feel bad enough for bringing in a measly 17lbs.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Bass Pro @ May 31 2004, 11:23 PM)Too bad our best spot got muddy on us with that North wind on Friday! Oh well that's why it's called fishing!

Alex........sounds like we might have a challenge going on???
Looks like a day of fishing with Mini has rubbed off on you already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts