Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was fishing in marine city today and got alot of big goby.some of them were 7 inches. peple in Mi told me that if u caught that fish u need to kill it..its bad and so on.so isearch in internet and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goby
its very famous fishing for goby in Azov sea in Russia, u can get this fish in beer bars too. its very tasty and easy to get. i used just golden colour hook and brought home whole bi bucket of them.
its even stone monument in one city fr this fish. some people grill them in tomato sauce. i grill them in flour and they perfect for beer:)bones are so tiny. so im surprised that americans dont like this fish.
i just can add that fish i was caught in Russia was more light colour and without black spot on fin

·
Registered
583 Posts
While it could very well be a good eatin' fish, the bottom line is that they are invasive to the waters in North America, thus disrupting the 'natural' food chain here. They are to be killed not because they are 'junk' per se, but simply because they are not native to these waters. A small change in the aquatic eco-system can have HUGE negative impacts on our North American commercial fishery, as well as sport fishing, which we all enjoy.

For the record, I will NOT find out personally if they taste yummy or not!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats some interesting facts about gobies. Anyway even if they are in invasive species you will never see the end of them in the Great Lakes. This is because the SCL is a highway for freighters carring these fish. Nice post

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Katerina, While you bring up valid insight about this fish. It is in our country a garbage fish and is negative in all it does here. It ruins the entire lake by being an invasive species. While we may be never able to get rid of them fully I hear that the sturgeon, musky, and pike have taken quite a liking to them and have decided they are to be eaten on site, just like I have taken a liking to them and kill them on site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.