Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE(StillRob @ Sep 2 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i caught a 3 pound goby and mounted it, pics soon!

OK-call me crazy, but 2 weeks ago, my youngest son caught a goby that was 8 1/4" long in Erie while perchin. Since the fishin was slow and he hadn't caught any perch yet I declared it a "keeper". My oldest son reminded me tha we don't keep anything we don't eat..to which I replied taht I was gonna filet it and fry it up. So, I filetted it and it has really nice pure white meat. We fried it up with the perch and it tasted.................great!

No kidding!

It was very good-really mild-and nobody died from eating it!

OK, now you guys will probably have me banned from the forum or something

·
Registered
790 Posts
From the 2009 Michigan Fishing Guide

It Is Unlawful To:
Possess or transport any
live transgenic (genetically engineered)
organisms or the following nonnative fish: bighead carp, black
carp, large scale silver carp, silver carp, grass carp (white amur),
members of the snakehead family (Channidae), bitterling, Ide,
Japanese weatherfish, rudd, tench, Eurasian ruffe, tubenose goby,
or round goby
. To do so may result in civil fines up to $10,000.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
QUOTE(team houston @ Sep 3 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Key word being LIVE.

The adjective "live" only modifies the first half of the conjunction "or", therefore; it would be illegal to transport or possess the goby dead or alive.

BTW, the original post is BS, however, the reason I posted the excerpt from the fishing guide was that someone mentioned that they kept a goby and cooked it which would, in fact, be illegal.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Sep 3 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(team houston @ Sep 3 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Key word being LIVE.

The adjective "live" only modifies the first half of the conjunction "or", therefore; it would be illegal to transport or possess the goby dead or alive.

BTW, the original post is BS, however, the reason I posted the excerpt from the fishing guide was that someone mentioned that they kept a goby and cooked it which would, in fact, be illegal.

Best read it again. I read it to be "possess OR transport any LIVE. Nothing about dead. To me it reads the possesion or transporting dead is OK. It was comfirmed by the DNR that we can use and possess DEAD ones. Posted an e-mail awhile back that answered many common questions about gobies and the use and possession.

Found it:

Response (Lynne Thoma) - 10/10/2008 12:42 PM
Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Can you put a gobie back in the water dead or alive?
Yes...in fact you should not be in "possession" of live gobies. This is defined as having a live gobie(s) in a bucket, zip loc bag, live cage in the water, using a live gobie for bait, etc. If you hold a gobie in this way - longer than it takes to just take it off the hook and release it....it may be interpreted by a conservation officer as "possession of a live gobie" and you could be ticketed. Basically, we are trying to prevent gobies from being moved into inland lakes - so that is why no one should "possess" live gobies.

2) What do you do when you catch a gobie?
You have two choices: 1) you can kill it and then possess it (take it home for garden fertilizer, use it for bait, try filleting and eating it [we have actually had people ask if they can take them home for consumption], etc.)....OR 2) immediately release the gobie back to the lake.

3) Can you use dead or live gobies for bait?
See above.

4) Can you kill them and put in trash can, or feed to seagulls?
Technically, yes - but you may not "litter". This has been a problem in a few areas when anglers catch gobies and just throw them out on land where they die and decompose - causing bad smells and unsanitary conditions. You can kill them and dispose of them properly - bagged and in the garbage. Scattering them on the pier or beach for sea gulls is not advised - it creates an artificial feeding zone for gulls where they congregate in unnaturally high numbers. This is associated with high volumes of bird droppings and unconsumed fish - all making for unsanitary and smelly conditions - all of which could be regarded as offensive by shoreline communities. If you kill them, we suggest you bag them and either dispose of them in the garbage or use them as mentioned above.

5)Basically I thought when you catch a gobie, you cannot put back in the water dead or alive, and dispose of properly.
Steve - we have been made aware that there was at least one sign posted along the shore of Lake St. Clair which directed anglers not to return gobies to the lake. This sign actually had the letters "DNR" on it - but I assure you that this was NOT our sign - and it inferred an incorrect message. Gobies need to be handled as I've described above.

This was also comfirmed with the biologist and CO I talked to.

·
Registered
278 Posts
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Sep 3 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(team houston @ Sep 3 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Key word being LIVE.

Scubagay, don't quit your day job. LMMFAO You are one funny efer, the best part is that you really think you're right AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.