Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is 9 months old and I get her for free I have never trained one before gonna hunt rabbit and pheasasnt, hopefully use her to track a deer. I was gonna get a redbone coonhound but it did't work out.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I got started early with my german short-haired pointer. one thing that was very effective with him was when we played fetch, I had a long rope tied to his collar. that way he had no choice but to bring the toy back to me every time. each day I had to force him to bring it back a little bit less. by about the forth or fifth day, no rope required! also, while you train him to fetch, make sure you keep repeating "get the bird" or "gimme the bird" or whatever commands you intend to use for fetching and retrieving.
this time of year is tick and flea time so make sure you protect your new hunting partner when you take to the woods. Dr. Theurkof at North Gratiot Veterinary is a good friend of mine and he can take care of that along with any needed shots and vaccinations he may need. tell him I sent you. (alan) he will treat you good!
I wouldn't use him for tracking deer, it is illegal to hunt deer with dogs, plus I've heard of alot of deer hunters that have no problem shooting a dog in the woods during the deer season.
if you would like to get out and run him in the woods or a field, let me know. I have plenty of room behind my house in chesterfield, or we could go to gilbert's and you can run him with my dog. I've been hearing pheasant calls out there this year and I'm ready to take my dog out for some practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Top Gun @ Sep 10 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got started early with my german short-haired pointer. one thing that was very effective with him was when we played fetch, I had a long rope tied to his collar. that way he had no choice but to bring the toy back to me every time. each day I had to force him to bring it back a little bit less. by about the forth or fifth day, no rope required! also, while you train him to fetch, make sure you keep repeating "get the bird" or "gimme the bird" or whatever commands you intend to use for fetching and retrieving.
this time of year is tick and flea time so make sure you protect your new hunting partner when you take to the woods. Dr. Theurkof at North Gratiot Veterinary is a good friend of mine and he can take care of that along with any needed shots and vaccinations he may need. tell him I sent you. (alan) he will treat you good!
I wouldn't use him for tracking deer, it is illegal to hunt deer with dogs, plus I've heard of alot of deer hunters that have no problem shooting a dog in the woods during the deer season.

Thanks Alan, I will go see Dr. Theurkok and I might take you up on the offer I have hunted deer since I was a kid, this will be my first year hunting upland birds.

Thanks Again
if you would like to get out and run him in the woods or a field, let me know. I have plenty of room behind my house in chesterfield, or we could go to gilbert's and you can run him with my dog. I've been hearing pheasant calls out there this year and I'm ready to take my dog out for some practice.

·
Registered
735 Posts
its is illegal to hunt with dogs, but perfectly legal if, after you have taken a shot at a deer and hit it, and you need help finding it, to use a dog to help track the deer. i saw a article in Woods and Water about it. i believe it is a new rule from last year?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(soule @ Sep 10 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its is illegal to hunt with dogs, but perfectly legal if, after you have taken a shot at a deer and hit it, and you need help finding it, to use a dog to help track the deer. i saw a article in Woods and Water about it. i believe it is a new rule from last year?

I'd be too afraid that any DN'Rs you run into may not believe you are only tracking. plus, you still got the other deer hunters that are willing to shoot your dog. many of them actually believe it is legal...

·
Registered
654 Posts
you have a high energy dog there, and one of the best bird dogs. 50ft rope during field training. start slow and very patient and consistent. many walks on leash to bond. basic field training books help alot. later , more intense training is available. lots of love and firmness with training. im excited for you, miss my beloved birddog dearly. your longtime friend will last you a lifetime long after shes gone. best of everything to you and your new best friend

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(DaveS. @ Sep 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you have a high energy dog there, and one of the best bird dogs. 50ft rope during field training. start slow and very patient and consistent. many walks on leash to bond. basic field training books help alot. later , more intense training is available. lots of love and firmness with training. im excited for you, miss my beloved birddog dearly. your longtime friend will last you a lifetime long after shes gone. best of everything to you and your new best friend

Thanks dave, she's fitting in good here, working on basic stuff now sit,stay,heel, she is responding well.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I am one of those hunters that will put a dog down for running deer but only if it doesn't have tags and it looks like it is a wild dog that someone just let go to run free in the woods. I have done it once up north when I lived there but the dog was running deer in the swamp where I hunted. If a dog has tags or looks like it is well cared for I don't think about putting him down. My dog never leaves the house without tags and she doesn't look like she is starving but she's not a hunting dog either. Dobermans probably would be no good for hunting anything but cats.
And yes it is highly illegal to run deer with a dog. And in my opinion if you have to use a dog to track a deer after you shoot it, you are doing something wrong. I have shot a lot of deer and the farthest any of them has gone was 400 yards from where I hit him. And that was bow hunting. And only cause the arrow went clean through and the hole dried up and the blood trail had disappeared but I found branches he broke and came over the hill and there he was laying down in a ravine.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
and english pointers are one of the best on land bird dogs in my opinion. pheasant, grouse, woodcock, great animal for all birds shot on land.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
QUOTE(DaveS. @ Sep 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you have a high energy dog there, and one of the best bird dogs. 50ft rope during field training. start slow and very patient and consistent. many walks on leash to bond. basic field training books help alot. later , more intense training is available. lots of love and firmness with training. im excited for you, miss my beloved birddog dearly. your longtime friend will last you a lifetime long after shes gone. best of everything to you and your new best friend

VERY well said Dave - amen to all that, missing my girl very much too and it's been over 5 years since I had to put her down.

I am aware of a book by Larry Mueller called "Speed Train your own Bird Dog" which gives pretty basic straightforward plans from when they're pups... also I'd recommend checking out Len Jenkins - he's a trainer (I worked with him in 1990 with my Brit, he did great) and also an author I believe. He's down in Maybee (Monroe area) and has land and birds and I think even has a preserve now by Hillsdale. I preferred to train my own dog with some expert guidance - I've not seen good success when people have "sent" their dogs to be trained by someone else.

How about a picture of your new pal?

·
Registered
654 Posts
super,,,,,,, ive noticed the same thing about outside training. the dog /owner relationships usually is missing that certain something that we want from our gundog. i bred trained and hunted 3 generations myself, with the aid of books tapes and advice . staying commited and consistent always payed off. , gundogs and guys, gotta luv it

·
Registered
210 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am one of those hunters that will put a dog down for running deer but only if it doesn't have tags and it looks like it is a wild dog that someone just let go to run free in the woods. I have done it once up north when I lived there but the dog was running deer in the swamp where I hunted. If a dog has tags or looks like it is well cared for I don't think about putting him down. My dog never leaves the house without tags and she doesn't look like she is starving but she's not a hunting dog either. Dobermans probably would be no good for hunting anything but cats.

What a ridiculous post? i hope that is a joke. Who the F**k are you to shoot a dog chasing a deer???? Many dogs will take chase to a deer while bird hunting, small game, escape from the house, etc. I can tell you one thing if someone shot my dog in the field my knee jerk reaction will be to blast that jack a$$ in the face...maybe not with the bullet but at least the butt of the stock

Like I said I hope this was a joke...if not you've got some serious problems...

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(fantastixvoyage @ Sep 16 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am one of those hunters that will put a dog down for running deer but only if it doesn't have tags and it looks like it is a wild dog that someone just let go to run free in the woods. I have done it once up north when I lived there but the dog was running deer in the swamp where I hunted. If a dog has tags or looks like it is well cared for I don't think about putting him down. My dog never leaves the house without tags and she doesn't look like she is starving but she's not a hunting dog either. Dobermans probably would be no good for hunting anything but cats.

What a ridiculous post? i hope that is a joke. Who the F**k are you to shoot a dog chasing a deer???? Many dogs will take chase to a deer while bird hunting, small game, escape from the house, etc. I can tell you one thing if someone shot my dog in the field my knee jerk reaction will be to blast that jack a$$ in the face...maybe not with the bullet but at least the butt of the stock

Like I said I hope this was a joke...if not you've got some serious problems...

First Of all read the whole post. If a dog escapes from a house I am assuming it looks like it is being cared for and would have tags on it. If a dog is in the field hunting I am once again assuming that it is well cared for and has tags. Before you light up a fire by not reading and just typing away. step away from the computer takes your pills come back and read the whole thing. And furthermore I have never had a dog take chase to a deer more than once after it was properly punished not to do it. It never did it again. I have had bird dogs, rabbit dogs and **** dogs. And they all new what chasing a deer entailed a severe butt whooping.

·
Registered
210 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am one of those hunters that will put a dog down for running deer

I did read the rest but the above was all I needed to read. Like I said, who are you to put anyone's dog down??? I'd be really suprised if its legal to do so unless you were in danger not to mention unethical as all hell. I'd love to see you explain this one to a hunter or young boy that comes around the corner after you decide to pump lead into their dog because you "thought" it was a wild dog.

As far as training, I agree very easy to break. But for the dogs sake lets all hope it doesn't make that mistake around you, sounds fatal!

Anyways, where's the pics of the pup??? And keep us posted on its progress, cool to see a dog come to life around birds.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well fellas, good points on both sides. But to each his own. I can fully understand bowtie's point of view tho. We were out rabbit hunting and a couple of stray beagles started coming at us barkin away and frothing at the mouth. Obviously left by their owners for who knows how long (very unhealthy looking), they didn't stop coming at us till I pointed the 870 at em. They fleed howling but looking back we probably should've put them down. Hard to do being a dog lover, but sensability has to come first.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(Jason W @ Sep 10 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>She is 9 months old and I get her for free I have never trained one before gonna hunt rabbit and pheasasnt, hopefully use her to track a deer. I was gonna get a redbone coonhound but it did't work out.

thanks

I'd suggest talking to the gentleman we just got our pup from. He breeds and field trials English Pointers, and was raising some very good looking dogs. I'd suggest emailing him from his site:

http://www.blueslygundogs.com/

Top right corner of his front page says it all. The man is not out to make a killing, but loves his bird and waterfowl hunting. His name is Justin Smilowski (smile ow ski) and if he can't help you himself (being that he lives near the track down in brooklyn) i'm sure he can direct you to who can around here. He field trials this side often he said.

Good luck to you and your new friend. Get some pics up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.