Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good location in LSC near the Detroit River for anchoring out for an afternoon? I've done a lot of boating in the Anchor Bay area and there seems to be no shortage of spots to spend an afternoon swimming and picnicing. This summer, I'm keeping my boat in Detroit and I'm not really familiar with that part of the lake. Any suggestions on areas I can go to near Detroit for swimming and picnicing? Someone mentioned an area in front of the Ford house. Is that true??

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I dont know around that area if theres many "secluded" areas or bays, but around where the middle channel markers start theres Sand island, which is real nice, but supposedly the water is gona be up this year so I dont if sand island will be showing, it should be a little, on weekdays its nice, on weekends its very crowded and popular, plus its right off the middle channel so its a busy area, then theres goose bay which is nice, not usually busy, and if you are running on a little boat or a skiff you can even go into fisher bay for some peave and quiet, thses are kinda in the anchor bay area, across from anchor bay and I'm sure you already know of them, and off of strawberry seems to be like a really popular spot now, I'm sure once you get the boat in the water a ride aorund the area a little you'll be able to find some palce that will suit you for anchoring, it doesnt nessecarily have to be a bay or anything

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There's some good spots in and around Bell Isle, Peche Island, too. But it gets shallow around Peche, so be careful. There's also a nice marina in Belle River, not too far from Detroit.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
i like going to this really cool place near the opening to the livingston channel called "barge bay". very cool. we anchored and slept in there last year and had a great time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, a lot of people anchor in from of the "Art Van" house, which is between the Ford house and the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club. It's nice and sandy, but fairly unprotected, so you rock a bit depending on the winds.
On the Canadian side, people anchor in front of the "big white house", which I believe is on Pike Creek. It's not too far from the Detroit River. It is also nice and sandy, and it is often calmer on that side of the lake.
Technically, you need to call in to Canadian customs before you anchor.
Peche Island is really nice. You DO have to call in first, either at Lilly Kazilly's restaurant or at the marina just across the river. Peche island now has toilets, picnic tables, and a decent seawall. There are paths all over the island. Really nice to explore (kids love it)

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Ford's Cove (which is further up, almost to St. Clair Shores) is a great, quiet place to anchor and have dinner. Follow someone in or use a chart 'cause there's some rocks on both sides of the unmarked channel into it. But once you're in, it's really nice!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ Apr 30 2004, 04:59 PM)Ford's Cove (which is further up, almost to St. Clair Shores) is a great, quiet place to anchor and have dinner. Follow someone in or use a chart 'cause there's some rocks on both sides of the unmarked channel into it. But once you're in, it's really nice!
My Wife's family goes there alot!!! Nice!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Where is the Livingston Channel and Barge Bay?

G

·
That section of chart shown above is down in the Detroit River near Lake Erie. The land on the right is Canada, on the left is Grosse Ile. The protected bay in the center at the bottom is Crystal Bay and is open to the south.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts