Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think Ive found a boat.... before I buy it I want to know what fisherman think. Its a Bass Tracker Guide V special 25hp Mercury Single Console. Its aluminum and Deep V. Is that a good fishing boat???

Its my first boat I hope its a good one..

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
All depends upon how good of condition the motor is in. If the motor's good and the price is right, it should be a good rig for ya!

·
Registered
573 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jun 21 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All depends upon how good of condition the motor is in. If the motor's good and the price is right, it should be a good rig for ya!

He pretty much said it

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You might be disappointed if you plan to spend a lot of time on LSC. Just not big enough if you plan to do some serious fishing on the big water. Just fine if inland lakes are ore your thing, or if you are disciplined enough to pick your days for LSC based on the wind and waves.

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Jun 21 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You might be disappointed if you plan to spend a lot of time on LSC. Just not big enough if you plan to do some serious fishing on the big water. Just fine if inland lakes are ore your thing, or if you are disciplined enough to pick your days for LSC based on the wind and waves.

Good luck!

Well I am not really big on going far out on the lake. What do you think if you stay withing a few hundred yardsof shore? or what are some good local inland lakes? The guy I might purchase it from says he take on Erie sometimes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jun 21 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How long & wide is the boat ?????

Oh yeah I forgot that ..duhh Its 16' long and the width well I am not sure.. its not listed, but it looks really wide. About as wide as any full size tracker Ive seen

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I fish out of a 14'5" semi V with a 25 HP tiller. Winds under 15 & waves a foot or less I have no probs. Anything more than that it gets uncomfortable to fish. Always launch close to where you plan to fish (do as I say not as I do
). Pick your days.

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jun 21 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How long & wide is the boat ?????

That's the biggest question. If it's 14 foot or something expect it to be a roller coaster and not much fun on the rougher days.
I myself have used boats that are 21' and I'm really happy because it can handle just about anything that a sane person would be out in.
If you go with something in a 14 - 16 range just be selective, jimmy's rents them out all the time without problem but these guys do tend to stay closer to shore, within a 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so. If it's smaller err on the side of caution and be safe about it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 21 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah I am not big into going way out on the lake. I like to see shore.

It is usually rougher closer to land because of the boat traffic.

LSC is a nasty lake sometimes. If you follow Zib's advise you can do just fine - provided you pick your days.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
There's guys that ask this same question, but kinda in reverse; in that they ask if a 14'-16' boat will work on LSC. And it's kinda been covered pretty well here in this thread. Pick your days and be prepared for the worst and it'll work. Guys fish LSC in kayaks. You just gotta use common sense, and not bite off more than you can choose.

But no matter the price, get the motor checked- compression, bleed down, lower unit pressure, shaft run-out, etc. Get that done because no matter the price or the hull, if the motor is shot (or weak and close to being shot) then you're already behind the 8 ball.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ask if he is the original owner and if he can show you the regular winter check list and how it has been done, boat motor and trailer. Also how old is the water pump if it has been replaced by who and when, just because it “pees” with a garden hose and muffs does not mean it has a good water pump. If you are buying from someone who does his own maintenance and does it right you might get some extras like a shop manual. Ether way ask to take it to a good mechanic for the once over as Esoxfly said. Bass Tracker has been around for a while and they make good boats. Finally take a coast guard aux safety class you will get a discount on insurance and some good information. After you do all your homework go out and have some fun!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
There are advantages to having a smaller rig. Like not paying $160 for gas for each outing and having to roud up a crew to pitch in for gas if you're not rich.

A 25hp motor will get you across the lake at a decent clip without costing 2 arms and a leg.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(homer form omer @ Jun 21 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ask if he is the original owner and if he can show you the regular winter check list and how it has been done, boat motor and trailer. Also how old is the water pump if it has been replaced by who and when, just because it "pees" with a garden hose and muffs does not mean it has a good water pump. If you are buying from someone who does his own maintenance and does it right you might get some extras like a shop manual. Ether way ask to take it to a good mechanic for the once over as Esoxfly said. Bass Tracker has been around for a while and they make good boats. Finally take a coast guard aux safety class you will get a discount on insurance and some good information. After you do all your homework go out and have some fun!

Well I will for sure take the safety coarse, good idea thank you. As far as checking the motor... My dad wants to see it run, besides that I am going out of state to check it out. I am not sure if I can do all this testing. I am getting a good deal. the guy sounds like he has another boat , thats why hes selling this one. He says it runs strong, its been winterized every year, He is the original owner.He is also not negotiating on the price. to me if he knew he was selling crap he might say or best offer.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 22 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As far as checking the motor... My dad wants to see it run, besides that I am going out of state to check it out. I am not sure if I can do all this testing. I am getting a good deal. the guy sounds like he has another boat , thats why hes selling this one. He says it runs strong, its been winterized every year, He is the original owner.He is also not negotiating on the price. to me if he knew he was selling crap he might say or best offer.

Get it checked. Simple as that. ESPECIALLY if you're going out of state to get it. If it's worth the drive, it's worth the hour it would take to have it checked and the $100 it'd cost you. It's up to you, but check it now, or find out later. I've seen it happen way too many times. I bought my boat long distance too, so I'm not saying to do anything that I've not done myself.

As far as him being solid on price, I'd not take that to mean anything other than he needs the money. The best way to tell if he really honestly thinks he's got a good boat is if he's willing to pay half of the price for a mechanic to check it out. If he knows he's got a good motor, he'll be only too happy to have it done and help you do it; meet you there with it on the trailer or whatever. If he wants to sell it, and he knows it's good, he'll do it. If he balks or says, "yeah, it's good, I had it checked last year, we don't need to check it again...." walk away. These are standard things you do when buying a boat.

Then when you get there, check the transom and the engine's motor mounts. I know it's an aluminum boat and only a 25 hp, but cracks happen, and that's where they'll be. Check the trailer as well; it's the single most over looked part of a boat purchase.

Where's it at? What are you paying for it?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
As has been stated get it checked out. When I bought my boat last year. I went to harbor freight and bought a compression guage for like 15 bucks and did my own compression check on the motor before I bought it. And as jeff said if he balks at the idea of having it checked out then it might not be worth the trailer it is sitting on. Good luck if you do get it. Hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you go early in the morning its not bad. 10 to 11 am on the weekends is when all the traffic starts thats plenty of time to have a good day fishing. if that boat is all you can afford then get it. my brother has one of them and i like his

1 - 20 of 22 Posts