Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a couple of years since I've been to Goose Bay. I had a smaller boat at the time, now I have a 280 Sea Ray. I was wondering what the depths are like getting in there, I do remember it being on the shallow side but the water is up since I was there. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I can't give you specifics...but there are big boats in Goose bay every nice weekend.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Here are a couple other charts that will help you with the route and good locations to anchor. I hope to maybe get a raft up going in there soon. Always a great alternative to Muscamoot Bay.

Map Ecoregion World Font Rectangle

Map World Font Rectangle Parallel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have been touting that area of the lake for quite a few years. Mostly to get people away from Muscamoot Bay to let the fish have spawning habitat back. It has now been all but ruined in that area of Muscamoot, I would hate to see it happen in Goose Bay too.

As far as Goose.....yes there is enough water to get in there with almost any vessel. Just be aware that this ALSO is a spawning area for many different types of fish on St Clair. Just pick up your trash PLEASE and tread lightly.

Oh and dont get too far south of the route that Convincer posted. There is a tree in the water (been there for years) that sits about 3 feet below the surface in 6 feet of water. Please dont try and move it....

There MANY places on the lake that will support raft offs of smaller sizes....the same warnigns come with those too. Almost all of the areas that people look for (hard sandy bottom free from weeds/rocks/debris) to raft up on is the same type of habitat that fish look to spawn on. Again, please tread lightly.....

There is actually a route to get into Fischer Bay too....but there isnt much water in there for boats bigger than about 22 feet (depending on draft of course).

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Mini, you really make me feel guilty for going into Goose Bay

I don't think we have anything to worry about with the Muscamoot crowd moving into another bay. The majority of that crowd is almost afraid of the rest of the lake. Even on the busiest day on the lake, I have never seen more than 30-40 boats within Goose Bay. Typically only see a dozen or so in there. I would have to agree that the condition of the lake and the spawning traditions have drastically changed within the past 50 years with the expansion of the freighter ships, and the greater amount of recreational boats trashing the waters. Not sure there is much we can do about it except prevention of pollution.

The lake is beautiful. Enjoy it with out trash. Enjoy Goose Bay.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 22 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mini, you really make me feel guilty for going into Goose Bay

I don't think we have anything to worry about with the Muscamoot crowd moving into another bay. The majority of that crowd is almost afraid of the rest of the lake. Even on the busiest day on the lake, I have never seen more than 30-40 boats within Goose Bay. Typically only see a dozen or so in there. I would have to agree that the condition of the lake and the spawning traditions have drastically changed within the past 50 years with the expansion of the freighter ships, and the greater amount of recreational boats trashing the waters. Not sure there is much we can do about it except prevention of pollution.

The lake is beautiful. Enjoy it with out trash. Enjoy Goose Bay.

I agree and thanks for adding.....no need to feel guilty, I know you do your part.

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 22 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been touting that area of the lake for quite a few years. Mostly to get people away from Muscamoot Bay to let the fish have spawning habitat back. It has now been all but ruined in that area of Muscamoot, I would hate to see it happen in Goose Bay too.

As far as Goose.....yes there is enough water to get in there with almost any vessel. Just be aware that this ALSO is a spawning area for many different types of fish on St Clair. Just pick up your trash PLEASE and tread lightly.

Oh and dont get too far south of the route that Convincer posted. There is a tree in the water (been there for years) that sits about 3 feet below the surface in 6 feet of water. Please dont try and move it....

There MANY places on the lake that will support raft offs of smaller sizes....the same warnigns come with those too. Almost all of the areas that people look for (hard sandy bottom free from weeds/rocks/debris) to raft up on is the same type of habitat that fish look to spawn on. Again, please tread lightly.....

There is actually a route to get into Fischer Bay too....but there isnt much water in there for boats bigger than about 22 feet (depending on draft of course).

I know exactly what tree you are talking about, years ago when we were diving out there we found it and thought it would be a boat killer. Back in the marsh there is an old pontoon boat also. (amazing the things people leave).

·
Registered
235 Posts
We were out there yesterday looking for that Tree and with the high water we can't seem to find it this year. Last year we tied a plastic bottle to it. if any one knows WHERE it is now, Please tie a Clorox (or even an oil jug) bottle to it. it's off of the Octagon House w/ the green roof by the smaller North cut out.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(petep @ Jun 22 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were out there yesterday looking for that Tree and with the high water we can't seem to find it this year. Last year we tied a plastic bottle to it. if any one knows WHERE it is now, Please tie a Clorox (or even an oil jug) bottle to it. it's off of the Octagon House w/ the green roof by the smaller North cut out.

I am going to try and make it out on the jetboat this week and I will attempt to look for it. At that point I can possibly mark it somehow. Just want to make sure what ever we mark it with cannot easily be removed by mother nature.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have some coordinates for each end of the tree, but I think we are talking about a different tree. It is fairly close to the middle channel. I have never seen a jug tied to it in the past 10 years or so.

And yes the fish know where it is. small smallmouth and rockbass right now....lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 22 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have some coordinates for each end of the tree, but I think we are talking about a different tree. It is fairly close to the middle channel. I have never seen a jug tied to it in the past 10 years or so.

And yes the fish know where it is. small smallmouth and rockbass right now....lol

I think you are right, the one they mentioned is up in the shallows right behind the broad cut, there has been a clorox jug on it for years and it is is much shallower water.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I am not a big fan of Goose Bay unless I am looking for quiet....
don't get me wrong..it IS beautiful....but I like to be where the action is

if you are looking for peace and beauty...Goose bay is the place for you !

as Mini says tho...would hate to see it get trashed

why anyone would foul this beautiful lake is beyond me.....yet you see it...day after day....

really wish peeps would THINK about it.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Last season Goose bay could have been named Bug Bay.
It got pretty bad a few times. Course the moot was that way this weekend. Gave the bug zapper tennis rackets a workout.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jun 22 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Last season Goose bay could have been named Bug Bay.
It got pretty bad a few times. Course the moot was that way this weekend. Gave the bug zapper tennis rackets a workout.
yes it was!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts