Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
got her for 700 needs the basic tune up and some good old tlc but me and stubs are not gonna rush to put it in the water i want everything to be on the up and up. i say the latest 3rd week in aug.. you will see us out there the motor has 943 hours on a 77 sea ray srv 220 it has a 305 merc in it but the person who owned it befor us painted over the nice white paint job and did not prep so the red is coming off and the white is still smooth some tricks on how to get that nasty paint job off with out messing up the paint under neath thanks for any info and as we move along i will post pics

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE(allaboutfishing @ Jul 12 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>got her for 700 needs the basic tune up and some good old tlc but me and stubs are not gonna rush to put it in the water i want everything to be on the up and up. i say the latest 3rd week in aug.. you will see us out there the motor has 943 hours on a 77 sea ray srv 220 it has a 305 merc in it but the person who owned it befor us painted over the nice white paint job and did not prep so the red is coming off and the white is still smooth some tricks on how to get that nasty paint job off with out messing up the paint under neath thanks for any info and as we move along i will post pics

Sweet allaboutfishing!

If you need any help/suggestions just ask/post, the peeps here are great. I did a on plane post in the boathouse yesterday and in one day they helped me correct/figure out the problem.

S.S. Rube

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Nice boat. Good Buy. Now I don't know what type of paint they used but if you are looking for some advice. Give goof off a try if that doesn't work use actual stripper on a cloth and be careful. if the stripper is left on for too long say good bye to the paint underneath. It will be trial and error. But it can be done just try rubbing it off with stripper or goof off. If neither one of those work then get ready for the real labor intensive stuff. SANDPAPER. Maybe a 150 or 180 grit. But only if you plan on repainting it go to the sandpaper. Other wise try some stripper or goof off on a fine to medium scotch brite.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone and bowtiehater28 i will give that a shot the goof off and if it works alittle then ill let the water take some off but got the points in, new wires,plugs,coil, rotor condensor in and had to clean up a few things and she fired right up after sittin 2 years now i still have a few things left to do on the motor then its getting her legal after that in the water she goes

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Good Luck with her hopes to see you out there soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i hope to have in the water by the 3rd week in august and dirty we will race and ill smoke ya.... first you have to get over 15 mph then we will talk lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on the boat , by the looks of the picture its red antifoul paint it will flake off from time to time.what i would do is buy a inexpensive orbital sander hit any spot that are coming off tape water line off and recoat i use kush bottom paint and recoat every other year or when it needs touch ups

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
For 700 bucks, it'll be fun just to work on. Get her sea-worthy will be the bonus in the bag. Good luck with the renovations.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all thats left is small stuff know ill be out in a few weeks gonna give her a good buff job and a good clean up inside then comes the rod holders and life jackets ect... but i will be out soon thats all that matters and thanks for all the replys and tips

·
Registered
159 Posts
B.O.A.T. Break out another thousand. Congrats! I suggest tow insurance from boat us. Its cheap and since it's new to you if you have a problem they'll tow you in for nothing. Insurance is about 56 bucks.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Berroughs @ Jul 20 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>B.O.A.T. Break out another thousand. Congrats! I suggest tow insurance from boat us. Its cheap and since it's new to you if you have a problem they'll tow you in for nothing. Insurance is about 56 bucks.
Good suggestion!

Congratulations!
Those are nice solid boats.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(allaboutfishing @ Jul 16 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>all thats left is small stuff know ill be out in a few weeks gonna give her a good buff job and a good clean up inside then comes the rod holders and life jackets ect... but i will be out soon thats all that matters and thanks for all the replys and tips

I think I have some of those orange life jackets in my attic. If you're boat's a 22, you could easily hold 8 folks so min. 8 jackets. I'll check and that's one less thing you'd have to buy. Only trouble is we may have gotten rid of them at the last garage sale.

I'll let you know and congrats dude!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
i gave him all the saftey sh*t off my old boat this weekend since my new boat had it all with it. he has no exuse why it wont be in the water very soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts