Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After draggin' a$$ all over the place we finally found an amazing boat for almost nothin
21 foot center console with kicker!!

I'll post pics tomorrow. We just got back from picking it up & it's 1:15 am
All the advice you guys gave me on my other post was perfect.
No I'm gonna make a few mods like bow mount trolling motor 101 pound, gotta add another battery, but I think it'll be worth it. The guy even threw in 4 trolling rods/reels.
It's a 90' but the guy OBVIOUSLY took amazing care of it he happily showed us everything about it and wouldn't stop talking about it.

Trailered it from commerce to 15 & ryan and I barely noticed it was there.

Now I gotta get rid of my other beast
http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/1223231156.html
If you're interested let PM me. Its a great boat especially for the price.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
No! Post pics tongiht!!!!! Some of us are still up!!!!! We gotta see it!

What make and model is it at least? Motor?

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 16 2009, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No! Post pics tongiht!!!!! Some of us are still up!!!!! We gotta see it!

What make and model is it at least? Motor?

Ok, OK hear we go

It's a 90 VIP 210 - 20' 6"
It came with a new stereo system with cd, & mp3 plug in
Snap in upholstery on the front deck, seat in front of console all in great condition
little 8 horse johnson kicker
a 150 johnson v6 as the main power
canvas for the t top
canvas weather enclosure - good condition
garmin fish finder
lowrance gps/fish finder
dual batteries
small bait/livewell (good enough to bring home dinner in!)
umpteen life jackets
we fired up the motor - it started right up & ran good but the money we paid for it I might repower ( advice appreciated on this!)
bearing buddies & brakes on the trailer
It does need a wash down pump - he never used it and it went bad, might need new bilge pump as well - a friend left it on for about an hour and he thinks it might have burned up.
older anti fouling paint on the bottom of the hull
transom good & solid
Once we get this thing registered & plated we will be hitting LSC today

Price - $500

We were looking at boats that were 15+ New & used
The guy was absolutely sick to get rid of it but he couldn't use it where he was moving to today. It absolutely had to go. After a couple of minutes of talking to him you could tell he truly loved the boat. He had pics all over his garage of trips in it. I feel for the guy BUT.........
Woohoo!!!

Boat Boat trailer Watercraft Vehicle Wheel
Hood Tree Naval architecture Wood Plant
Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky Automotive exterior Fixture
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tree
Plant Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Sky Shade Beam Composite material Roof

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wow, you did steal that boat!

Get the biggest TM you can afford - 101# if you can find room for the extra battery.

As for the repower, get the most ponies you can afford. A 225 would be nice on that boat. If you call around enough, you can sometimes find a dealer that has a loose motor that is a year or so old but new and still in the original crate. You can knock off some serious $ if you play your cards right.

Nice Find!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Very cool!!!

What's the max hp rating? Whatever it is, go with that if you repower. Always max it out.

And if I were you, I'd not clip the bow rail; I'd pull it all the way off. You don't need it and it'll just get in the way. As far as installation, install everything you can further back, behind center if possible. I've got two batts in my center console, and two in an aft compartment. You don't want anything heavy like that banging around the front of your boat.

Well done. Looks like a killer!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
OMG $500?!?! Either it ain't gonna float or you just won the lottery! That's great, I hope it works out and you certainly "saved room" for the add-ons and repairs at that price, I'm so jealous I have a bellyache!

I've never heard of clipping a trolling motor to the rail, I would think you could get one mounted to the bow area somehow... Is there an open area inside the transom where you can put a battery "shelf" or something?

I hope to see you on the lake soon... if you see a royal blue Robalo cuddy zooming right towards you don't freak out! lol I wanna check it out - way to go dude!

Ok, ok... I'll give you $750 for it - that's a good profit in less than 12 hours!
lol

·
Registered
735 Posts
holy cow man! thats some amazing luck to find and get that boat for that much. I have been searching craigslist for a month now and I plan on paying a couple hundred more for a motorless 16' bench style aluminum with trailer....and you get THAT for $500!!!!!!

ARGHHH!

lol Happy for ya though...grrr

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Esoxfly I like the idea of completely pulling the rail and installing the TM. I do have room in the center console to mount batteries (right next to the amp for the radio!)

Has anybody installed a bowmount TM themselves? I'm wondering if I can get a away with doing it myself...not sure about that though. OR can someone point me in the right direction for a place that will do the install for me (terrova 101 54" shaft with auto pilot/co pilot, batteries too! might as well get them all done at once)

superman I was talking about cutting the rail not attaching the TM to it. I doubt that would work at all.

Just for $hitts & giggles I'm even thinking about mounting a seat in the front, removable of course. Debating on that one though.

I have to do some research and see what the HP rating is on it. the guy didn't have any other info on it. It's got a 150 now so I'm thinking that is pretty close to what it can accept. I'm not extremely worried about the power since I RARELY go over 35 anyway.

I'm taking downriggers off the other boat & gonna mount'em on the very back end of the gun'als with ball buddies. When I'm done this will be a fishing machine!!

I still can't believe that he sold it for that price.

If you happen to hear the faint sound of death metal from across the lake that would be me
....Sorry if I assault your ears.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Damn what a steal!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Jun 16 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Damn what a steal!

No chit, at first I thought it was a typo. Good luck she looks nice and oh will it fit next to the garage

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No it wont fit But surprisingly the ole' lady really likes this one and has no problem with it sitting in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jun 16 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Esoxfly I like the idea of completely pulling the rail and installing the TM. I do have room in the center console to mount batteries (right next to the amp for the radio!)

Has anybody installed a bowmount TM themselves? I'm wondering if I can get a away with doing it myself...not sure about that though. OR can someone point me in the right direction for a place that will do the install for me (terrova 101 54" shaft with auto pilot/co pilot, batteries too! might as well get them all done at once)

Installing a TM is cake. You can do it yourself, of if you're close, I can even help you do it. Just make sure the bow will take one. If it's just glass, and there's no "pad" for a TM, it may not be structurally sufficient for one. Like my boat has a trolling motor "transom" on the front. It's got a special pad for mounting, where the glass is three times as thick as the rest of the boat, just like the main transom is structurally different glass than the rest of the boat. If you mount the TM on a bow that's not meant for it, imagine mounting it to the side of the hull or the middle of the floor because that's what it'd be like; mounting it on thin glass not designed to support the lateral stress localized on the mount bolts.

You can see here from my swap out (from a Maxxum to a Terrova) that my boat has a pad for a trolling motor. That whole pad is two or three times as thick as the rest of the top cap, specifically for handling the stress of a trolling motor.

Bumper Air gun Automotive exterior Gun barrel Shotgun

Or put it like this- Hulls and floors and boats in general are designed to accept stress over a large area. Think of it as them taking big waves with no problem (and even a big enough wave with enough speed can destroy a hull), but not being able to handle hitting ice or a log or something in the water. Waves contain immense amounts of engergy, but hit a piece of ice just barely on plane and you'll tear a hole in your boat. Mounting a trolling motor is that piece of ice; it's localized stress on a single point. That's why most fishing boats will have some sort of reinforced bow top to take a trolling motor. Make sure your's does.

Oh, and get the 60" shaft. 54" won't be enough for that boat, 60" would be pushing it. I have the 60" on mine and I'll about pull it out of the water on rough days. Get the 60", no doubt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Oh, and there (legally) should be a plate on the boat somewhere stating max hp, persons and capacity. Should be readily identifiable and visible, in fact I think I see it on your console in the pic; the yellow plate looks like it. Some are back on the transom, mine is right on the side of the gunwhale.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When you remove the front railing, don't just fill the holes.....

Do some research and see what diameter of hole you would need for mounting rod holders. If might be able to drop in some recessed rod holders/ mounting bases and you'd be one step closer to trolling with planers for walleyes, muskies, and steelhead.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Wow that was a steal for that boat. She is a beauty and a heck of a find. Hope to see you out there soon.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
man everyone is getting a new great boat i need to get another one ok maybe just a bigger one now how do i hid it from the boss sweet sweet boat man i'm jealous

1 - 20 of 60 Posts