Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a doe tonight out of my stand got a good blood trail even though it was a misdirected shot. I clipped a little limb right in front of me and caused the shot to hit her in the neck there is a lot of blood. Decided to track her in the morning as she sounded like she dropped after about a minute of running. It was to dark and my eyes aren't what they used to be for tracking. She had dropped a lot of blood for the first ten yards or so and then it went into droplets. My arrow is covered from one end to the other with fur and blood.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
good luck and keep us posted. don't forget to take a camera out there too!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have a good amount of experience in trailing bow-shot deer and would offer to come with and help but I have some things in my schedule this AM that I cannot re-arrange. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I hit her in the shoulder I did find her but she isn't dead or wounded that bad the arrow caught her right square in the front right shoulder blade. It only skimmed her neck. We found her in a field laying down and she got up and took off. We went over to where she was laying and there was no more blood. It looks as though she lost all the blood at the point I hit her at. She lost about a half a cup and then she stopped bleeding she laid there all night from the looks of it and she didn't have but a few more drops of blood. But did get a nice surprise upon going back to where my stand would be. Standing right directly in front of my stand was a six point about a 15 inch spread. Looked like about a 3 or 4 year old buck. Couldn't get a shot as he was in the thick brush. So I let him go on and figured I would get him this evening if he comes back in. And yes I have spotlights, but haven't hunted this area for very long so I thought it would be safest for me to do it in daylight. It is cold enough out that there deer meat wouldn't go bad overnight.

·
3,236 Posts
Plenty cold last night to let it lay. You definitely made the right decision considering the facts you were dealing with. Going after them early only results in a pushed and lost deer. Now go get another one.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back in and boy what a afternoon/evening for hunting. Wind, cold, and more wind but the deer were moving and I think the boys are starting to get into rut. They are going nuts right now. I saw the six that I saw earlier in the day when I was looking for the one I missed and he was chasing a doe around the field near my stand. He never got more than 50 yards from me but neither did she. he was making one heck of a ruckus. running, grunting, running, grunting. Looked like he lost his mind. Just wished he lost it closer to my stand. LOL

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
the bucks are diffently getting stupid right. now i seen a nice spike dead right on 175 and big beaver the other day. bowtie ill be out that way friday after work hopefully youll be out there to help me with my deer

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be out there friday. Got to get as much hunting in before opening day of gun as possible. I will be out there everyday from now till nov. 15th. And then it those bucks I have been seeing won't have the luxury of being 50 yards away. It will be bang, down he goes.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Good luck y'all. Hope the rut is on like you say. Did not see anything tonight. Headign to Jackson this weekend. Hopefully there are a few "dumb" bucks out there. Guys have been seeing about 9 different bucks there, all young though. Should get something this weekend. Freezer is pretty low!!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me freezer is empty. No more fish No more deer. If I don't get one quick going to have to buy a cow and butcher it so the old lady won't shut the freezer down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts