Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a boat and plan to purchase a GPS/Fish Finder Combo. Do most of you prefer the combo units or separate units? I'm looking at the Lowrance LMS-360, but hear a lot of good things about Garmin. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. I'll be fishing primarily lower Lake Huron and the St. Clair River, if that affects your response. Thanks in advance. Glenn

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I dont know about combo fishfinder/gps units, but in anything else I buy, I prefer separate units. If you have the real estate for mounting them, I'd get separate. Why? Well if the GPS goes south, I still have the fishfinder...etc.. May be just me, but thats the way I think.

G

·
Before I bought a GPS, I was told by many people that garmin had way more detail and information on there chart cards for the price. I don't remember the exact figure, but I think it was like $250-$300 bucks for the amount of information on Lowerance, and Megellion for the amount that you get on the $150 card that garmin offers. I was shown all this in a store. And, it really made a lot of sense.

I didn't care for the other brand's screen displys either. Garmin is very easy to use (control wise).

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Glenlaker,

I have been in a few discussions on this very subject reciently since I was in the market for a new sonar unit. Far and away most people I talked to or exchanged E-mails with agreed with Spider. The reasons given were:

1 One down, both down
2 Too much info filling one screen
3 Functions of sonar can be limited when screen is filled with GPS info, ie, split screen usage
4 Number 3 conversly applied to GPS

There are some advantages I guess to having both in one unit like saving space but, I think the disadvantages out weigh the advantages. Just my 2 cents and that is about all it is worth.

Jim

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Glenn; since you asked. Guess the answer is somewhere between affordability and what you need it to do. Space claim aside; I have a LMS160, it's a combo and is the older version of what you mentioned. You can still buy the 160 at a cheaper price than I paid. It was recommended by a friend who had one and I am very happy with the unit. You can make the screen read anything you want. Has never let me down, gotten me home and put me on fish. Great unit. Support from Lowrance is outstanding. I broke a bracket and they sent me a replacement for free. That was even after I told the rep that I had dropped the unit and broke the bracket and was willing to pay for a replacement. Superb customer support. GPS is the greates thing since sliced bread. I have no idea how I survived as many years as I did without it. You will love it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Glenn,

I was in the market for a GPS/Chartplotter and am looking at Fish Finders and possibly a radar unit. As Spider says, I am lucky I have planty of dash space and agree 100% with the above reasons.

The more info you put on the same screen the more hectic it can become when needing a certain screen in a hurry.

More info, the harder to read the screen.

IF ONE UNIT GOES DOWN YOU STILL HAVE THE REST. Think of it ithis way. You have a GPS/Fish Finder combo and you are fishing a ledge. A ledge that is shallower than your draft. As you are fishing, the Fish Finder goes out AND so does your GPS. As you try to figure out what happend.....THUNK.....STOP. If seperate, you can always continue to fish by watching your depths.

Just my expereince,but I vote strongly for the seperate units.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts