Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commented about getting a GPS to help find the dumping grounds a few weeks ago and the responses for a GPS sold me, but I don't have a clue which one to buy...fellow anglers would be the best critics in my opinion. I know you can push a button to mark a spot, but can you flag a spot with more than just a dot on a screen on any models - some info perhaps? I'd love to hear any feedback good or bad on what you own. We found an awesome drift in front of the 400 Club yesterday and seemed to lose it after a couple great drifts - muskie chasing a bass I was reeling in, a very large, scarred pike (on the ultralite!), a couple bitten off rigs...LOTS of action.

·
Registered
347 Posts
garman hand held. You can set your course drive to it and track your progress, little hungary thought uses 2 aa batteries and eates them pretty fast save money dont run it all the time just when you are moving and get a shore mark to drive to and shut the unit off as you drive

·
Registered
958 Posts
I bought a humminbird 595c-GPS and I really do love it. With the push of a button you can mark spots, you can also mark a spot to drive to (move a cursor). It has the capability of adding a data card for depth contours as well.
It's a great little unit.
it gives you, boat speed, water temp, lat & long, there is a 3D chart view, split view sonar & chart, zoom on the sonar & the chart and more. It truly has everything I want/need except the depth contours. Haven't decided to track down the data card yet but thinking about it.
The only thing I dont like is the 20 degree angle if I decide to go out into deep water.
Real easy to install too
One thing I forgot to add is that you can display a trolling grid to really work a spot, nice feature if you're into trolling

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
All of the major manufacturer's have basically the same functions.

If I were you I would take advantage of the free learning seminars at Bass Pro Shops. You can get a "101" type class on GPS and then shop the different brands all right in the store.

For what its worth, I use Lowrance. They are the leaders in sonar and GPS technology in the industry.

Good luck and check www.basspro.com for more information and class schedules.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Robalo97 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have only ever owned Garmin units. I think they are great. Currently using a Garmin 498 with fishfinder.
I have the same one on my Mako. It's the best unit I've owned BY FAR! They have newer ones now that are better. Garmin is the way to go. My .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts