Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E-Trex legend GPS unit that I have used for about 5 years that just died. Quit receiving or picking up satelite signals so I can't find or mark my favorite fishing spots on the lake. Now I am looking for some input for a good GPS unit to replace it. Looking in the $200-300 range.

I did get my recent copy of trailering magazine from Boat U.S. and there is an ad in there from West Marine for a Garmin Oregon 400c GPS regularly priced at $499.00 on sale for $299.00. I was wondering if anyone has bought or used one of these/ If so, what's your input on this one?

Thanks to all in advance, Propwash

1,036 Posts
I have had the Garmin 76Cx now for over two years. Its a totally submersible, waterproof hand-held unit with color screen. I absolutely love it. Very accurate and has access to all the great Garmin base maps. They run a little over 300 (380 last time I saw one) but check the after Christmas deals at Cabelas. They usually have some great sales. And I love the portability of the unit. Its nice to be able to take it off the boat and use in the car or in the woods.

I recommend the blue chart maps offered by Garmin for LSC. Includes all marinas, very accurate locations on buoys, channels, and bottom structure.

·
Registered
962 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Dec 8 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Go to Woot.com....you can thank me later.

They have a $400 unit on there right now for $99 (if there are any left). (EDIT - Woot.com deal is over....sorry)

Other than that I would recommend Lowrance with a Navionics electronic chart chip.

they are having a woot off today keep watching it may be back

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looking forward to the feedback on this post . First time boater/fisher this year and already had one interesting ride back to Crocker in the dark. The lake took on a much different look after dusk. Found my way back but it was not easy.

I'm looking for a decent fish finder / GPS as well.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you go with a Lowrance H2Oc you can use the same cards in your handheld that you use in your boat...If you jump in your buddies boat you can just throw your Mapping card into your handheld and away you go....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts