1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I'll be there this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Guys, After the Grand gets you frustrated - Stop by Gun Lake on the way home. I'll be there all week and would be happy to show you that there is some great fishing in Western Michigan.

Seriously - I hope the Grand treats you well - Good Luck.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey Mark,

If the Grand frustrates you then your welcome to join us.... Out of the many tournaments I have fished there in the last 5 years I have only once not weighed a limit.

I for one like the Grand it holds some huge smallies.

4-pounders are frequent and often.

Good Luck on Gun ...... now thats a lake that frustrates me ,,,,,,,,,,,, Jet skies ..........ewwww!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
FRL, you must be talking about another Grand River.

I don't remember a whole lot of 4 pound smallies I've seen weighed in at Riverside in the past couple of years, especially that came out of the Grand, and not South Haven/ Macatoilet (sorry Phil)/ Muskegon/ or White. I think out of 100+ boats last year in the BFL there was one 4-pounder (not caught in the Grand), but I'm old now and I do forget things sometimes.

All this talk about limits and frequent big smallies is getting me more excited about coming over to the dark side…er, I mean the Grand than I was earlier. Thanks. (Now, would you fall for a trick if I challenged you to prove it by taking me out and showing me were those all big smallies live on the Grand? Someone else was telling me about this the other day, but I was thinking I don't really ever remember seeing him weigh in smallies.)

I hear rumors about schools of big Grand River smallies, but in the last 7 years I've only seen 1 tournament won that way - they weighed 5 keepers out of a possible 7 bass limit on a really tough day the big water was closed. How often are tournaments being won over there with smallies only that didn't come out of South Haven (White's been disappointing for several years now)? Just curious.

·
Registered
927 Posts
what kind of weights usually take it up/over there? i have never been there but i am going up tonite. not really sure what to expect. but if i cant catch smallmouth, i will gladly take some green pigs instead.

i hope i get a boater with some experience on the river for next weekend. but if not, i hope shes blonde and long legged

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I've seen anywhere from 11 to 16 pounds win in the last few years. Last year was less than 12 pounds to win. A couple years ago was about 16 pounds, but it dropped quick to 13 and down. There were a decent number of limits 2 years ago. Not too many last year. A lot depends on how runnable Lake Michigan is.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(djkimmel @ Jul 24 2003, 11:48 PM)I've seen anywhere from 11 to 16 pounds win in the last few years. Last year was less than 12 pounds to win. A couple years ago was about 16 pounds, but it dropped quick to 13 and down. There were a decent number of limits 2 years ago. Not too many last year. A lot depends on how runnable Lake Michigan is.
AND how much grass was allowed to grow in the River....

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You're right Mini, but we already know the answer to the grass question from another board. They have declared all-out, global thermonuclear war on aquatic plants over there, so the answer is NONE. Therefore, I stick to my statement as being the last major variable left - how runnable will Lake Michigan be...

My back is hurting already just thinking about it. Maybe FRL will tell me where all those big smallies are in the Grand? I'm getting too old to take too many more 'Perfect Storm' beatings. When the waves get big enough to surf a 21 foot bass boat down the face, they're too darn big!

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey djkimmel,

I took madman over there to show him those big smallies and I was unable to back it up, but I know they are there. We was having alot fun boating fish after fish. With a few solid ones to boot. I can tell you this much - NO ONE will be running Lake Michigan in that wind.

madman convinced me I should sign-up as a boater on the Grand and I may just do that. ( I talked to BFL about it today and there is still time) ... If I do .. and all goes well .. I'll show you what I'm talking about.

I'll give you some solid advice for the Grand - stay in the middle of the river channel, and watch for stumps in Indian Channel, I lost a lower unit out there a few years ago that way. Make sure your insurance is paid in full. Be real carefull it's easy to beach your boat down there. I know this body of water and I still knicked my prop while there last weekend.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
So it looks like what you're saying is fish stumps in the middle of the river?... OK. Got it!

I saw some AWESOME breakers coming into the mouth of one harbor over there off Lake Michigan. I watched 6 different boats try to go out. COOL! A 28 footer made it to the mouth only to be #%#$%#-slapped sideways and over almost completely. They made it back in soaking wet and looking pretty sheepish.

Another boat was knocked sideways into the worst of the breakers and was rolling so violently to Port that they were almost driven into the rocks before they were able to turn around and back into calmer water. A 38-footer enclosed cruiser made it out, but I could only see the roof when it was in the troughs. The biggest breakers at the mouth stood the boat up incredibly steep, but they made it out by going straight into them.

A small open tin walleye boat made it in off the big water, but they were drenched right at the pier. I give them credit for timing the 'surf' right so all they got was soaked. BIG FUN.

I think I'll check those stumps in the middle of the channel...

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Shhhhhhhhh ......... Dont let everyone know my secret game plan.

To Answer a few questions.

QUOTEHow often are tournaments being won over there with smallies only that didn't come out of South Haven (White's been disappointing for several years now)

I personally have won a few and seen several. However usualy it's a mixed bag that wins it.

QUOTEwhat kind of weights usually take it up/over there?

I would say that on an average it takes a 3 plus pound limit to win. Actualy it almost always takes that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Last year at this tournament I left the Grand and caught big fish the day before but didn't get bit the day of.
This year in prefish I found a good spot with both LM and SM.

I am confident that I will get my limit, which is all I want to do. Friday I will prefish a little more to find a back-up spot. Over all the River is waaaaay down and the fishing is pretty tough. Watch those short cuts this year boys. The water is skinnny.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Last year it took less than 12 pounds to win the BFL. The weights I've seen posted so far this year to win have mostly been under a 3 pound average on the Grand.

I'd love to run to Muskegon, but the BBT has about 90 or so boats who will already be there on Saturday ahead of us. I expect Muskegon and White to be a little crowded already. Should be fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it blows and we cant get out onto Lake Michigan 12lbs should win it. The river has been almost non-existant this summer. And really it has been for a few years now. My only thing to you guys heading this direction is run if you can. And remember that by the time you come back that there will be a thousand boats around downtown with the Coast Guard Festival going on. Lets hope for some rain!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Got over here early to finish the prefish strategy.
The gravel pit is on fire. Pulled in 3 and 3.5 largemouth on jig and pig at will. No reason to go far from the ramp this time.

·
Registered
927 Posts
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

it was supposed to be a secret

just kidding. the pit is a good spot, no doubt. if one worked hard they could pull a nice limit out of the grav pits.
would be a good place to start the day out.

anyone hear what the weather is supposed to be like on the west side?

madman himself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts