Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Russian classic is and always has been (having had a Russian grandmother who made it alot) a favorite of mine. This one really fuels the furnace.

1 head cabbage
6-8 medium fresh beets
1 pound beef stew meat. beef neck bones make a much more authentic Borscht
3 quarts beef stock (stock, not broth)
1 24-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp butter
Sour Cream for garnishing

Start by chopping onion, garlic and shredding cabbage about 1/2 inch strips. Season the meat/neck bones with salt and pepper. In large soup pot melt butter, when it's melted add the meat, onion and garlic and saute until onion starts to soften but don't burn the garlic. Add cabbage, stir it all up and continue to saute for another 5 minutes stirring often. Add the beef stock and crushed tomatoes and bay leaf, stir it all up well and bring it to a simmer. Let simmer for at least an hour stirring ocasionally. Now peel and grate the beets(do this in a bowl so you catch all the beet juices during grating), you're going to want to wear gloves for this, unless you won't mind having purple hands for few days. Add the grated beets and their juices and stir. Continue to simmer for another 1/2 hour or so.

Serve hot with a good dollop of sour cream(I like to stir it in instead of leaving it in one lump). It's also very good cold with sour cream garnish, when serving cold I like to add a few tbsp half & half and stir it in before adding sour cream. This stuff is sooo good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 9 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This Russian classic is and always has been (having had a Russian grandmother who made it alot) a favorite of mine. This one really fuels the furnace.

1 head cabbage
6-8 medium fresh beets
1 pound beef stew meat. beef neck bones make a much more authentic Borscht
3 quarts beef stock (stock, not broth)
1 24-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp butter
Sour Cream for garnishing

Start by chopping onion, garlic and shredding cabbage about 1/2 inch strips. Season the meat/neck bones with salt and pepper. In large soup pot melt butter, when it's melted add the meat, onion and garlic and saute until onion starts to soften but don't burn the garlic. Add cabbage, stir it all up and continue to saute for another 5 minutes stirring often. Add the beef stock and crushed tomatoes and bay leaf, stir it all up well and bring it to a simmer. Let simmer for at least an hour stirring ocasionally. Now peel and grate the beets(do this in a bowl so you catch all the beet juices during grating), you're going to want to wear gloves for this, unless you won't mind having purple hands for few days. Add the grated beets and their juices and stir. Continue to simmer for another 1/2 hour or so.

Serve hot with a good dollop of sour cream(I like to stir it in instead of leaving it in one lump). It's also very good cold with sour cream garnish, when serving cold I like to add a few tbsp half & half and stir it in before adding sour cream. This stuff is sooo good.
thanks for the recipe . i am goin to try it. sounds great on a cold winters day

1 - 2 of 2 Posts