Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
1,036 Posts
Granholm Calls For Carp Summit After Supreme Court Loss

Governor Jennifer Granholm and other Great Lakes governors called Tuesday for a summit at the White House to determine how to address the threat of the Asian carp to the Great Lakes after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected motions from the state to close locks connecting the Mississippi River to Lake Michigan.

Ms. Granholm said she and other governors hoped to work together with the Obama administration to resolve the carp threat while Attorney General Mike Cox said he would continue with efforts to reopen the federal court case that allowed the connection between the lakes and the Mississippi River to remain open.

"The question is how do we quickly get a solution," Ms. Granholm said at a press event. "The only way I know is we need to shut down the locks."

And shutting down the locks grew either more critical, or moot, given the announcement Tuesday that DNA from the fish had been found in Calumet Harbor on Lake Michigan. No actual carp have been found beyond the current electrical barrier.

Ms. Granholm said the issue needed both short-term and long-term solutions. Among those long-term solutions might be additional barriers, either electrical like the current ones or physical, to keep the carp out of the lakes.

But she said despite federal efforts to keep the locks open, the state and federal administration still had the same goal of keeping the invasive carp out of the Great Lakes.

Mr. Cox praised Ms. Granholm's efforts to meet with President Barack Obama on the issue, but he said the president was ignoring the lakes by fighting to keep the locks open.

"President Obama said he would not tolerate new threats to the Great Lakes, yet he has left the front door to Lake Michigan wide open," he said. "Billions in economic activity and 800,000 Michigan jobs connected with the health of the Lakes are at risk. His indifference is just stunning."

Mr. Cox acknowledged after the ruling that an injunction from the nation's high court, while appropriate, was a long-shot request.

"While the injunction would have been an extraordinary step by the court, Michigan and the other Great Lakes states are facing an extraordinary crisis that could forever alter the lakes, permanently killing thousands of jobs at a time when families can least afford it," he said.

The court gave no explanation for its decision not to hear the request for an injunction to close the locks and canals constructed to connect Lake Michigan and Mississippi River, but Mr. Cox said it also did not address his motion to reopen the case that allowed the water flow from the lakes to the Mississippi Basin.

He said he would also continue working with the state's congressional delegation to create statutory measures to keep the carp out of the lakes.

Experts argue the carp, which can reach 100 pounds, would destroy fisheries in the Great Lakes by out-competing native fish for food.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
cant we just dump a bunch of fertilizer in the water? if it killed all the fish for 12 miles for the guy on black river, im sure if it was intentional, we could get alot more fert. for a project.

i know its far fetched but considering the outcome, this wouldnt be that horrible of an idea

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jan 20 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cant we just dump a bunch of fertilizer in the water? if it killed all the fish for 12 miles for the guy on black river, im sure if it was intentional, we could get alot more fert. for a project.

i know its far fetched but considering the outcome, this wouldnt be that horrible of an idea

Of course it's only temporary, because there are way too many of them to kill. We would just be putting off the inevitable unless it would buy us some time to change the ruling.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Its tragic for sure, Obama won't close the waterway because it would cost

so much, because the freight can't get through, but then how much will they
spend later to try to clean up the mess, at our expence.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ya typical. Look at the short term and the % of money loss to shipping goods instead of the long term and the XXX% of what those damn carp will do to the great lakes industry as a whole.

Why is it that for issues such as this as well as others the answers seem so clear and obvious? Are there that many politicians that are making secret deals and getting money stuffed in their pockets and causes that this is what happens? Maybe its time for a clean sweep? Maybe...awww forget it. Not gonna continue with this.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Why cant they just close the channel up further, allowing the barges to come into the channel to unload. Then the cargo could be transported either by land or loaded onto ships on the other side of the barreir. This would cost more for the shipping, and it would reflect in prices, but its the only system i can see that works for both parties. Otherwise were gonna have to put up barriers at the Soo or st. clair river. God, this sucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jan 20 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cant we just dump a bunch of fertilizer in the water? if it killed all the fish for 12 miles for the guy on black river, im sure if it was intentional, we could get alot more fert. for a project.

I'd say someone over there, should just dump some hydrowet in the water. Done deal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok we are talking about our Government (who don't have a clue) I would not be suprised if next winter we will be talking about "I went ice fishing behind Gino's and asian carp were jumping out of my hole."

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(BiologistChadHutchy @ Jan 20 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jan 20 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cant we just dump a bunch of fertilizer in the water? if it killed all the fish for 12 miles for the guy on black river, im sure if it was intentional, we could get alot more fert. for a project.

I'd say someone over there, should just dump some hydrowet in the water. Done deal.

Just kill them bastards before they get here!!!!

1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The mismanagement concerning this threat is unbelievable. The "temporary" electronic barrier has been in place for several years on that shipping channel while they tried to bring a permanent one online. The temporary barrier was not sufficient to stop fingerlings from getting thru and everyone knew it. And even today there are still issues with the permanent electronic barrier.

This problem did not just pop up over night. The asian carp have been a known threat for years and years and yet now we are just finally taking decisive action. This summit should have been held five years ago before those little carp bastards were knocking on the Great Lakes back door.

It does seem to be a broken record. Imminent threat of yet another invasive species getting into the Great Lakes and the federal government is painfully slow to react. And yet we are still not even fully protected from invasives being introduced thru ballast discharge water (as of the end of 2009 there have been over 190+ invasive species introduced into the Great Lakes). But there are strong lobbyists in Washington for the shipping industry and they will do everything in their power to slow the cost of infrastructure to retrofit their shipping fleets.

As far as closing the shipping channel, it will never happen. Chicago is Obama's home turf. He has more than usual personnal interest in the ramifications of shutting down the main shipping channel for commerce in Chicago. It would be extremely costly, whatever industry would need to do if the shipping channel were shut down.

All we can do is keep screaming for action and hope its not too late to stop this fish.

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Jan 21 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The mismanagement concerning this threat is unbelievable. The "temporary" electronic barrier has been in place for several years on that shipping channel while they tried to bring a permanent one online. The temporary barrier was not sufficient to stop fingerlings from getting thru and everyone knew it. And even today there are still issues with the permanent electronic barrier.

This problem did not just pop up over night. The asian carp have been a known threat for years and years and yet now we are just finally taking decisive action. This summit should have been held five years ago before those little carp bastards were knocking on the Great Lakes back door.

It does seem to be a broken record. Imminent threat of yet another invasive species getting into the Great Lakes and the federal government is painfully slow to react. And yet we are still not even fully protected from invasives being introduced thru ballast discharge water (as of the end of 2009 there have been over 190+ invasive species introduced into the Great Lakes). But there are strong lobbyists in Washington for the shipping industry and they will do everything in their power to slow the cost of infrastructure to retrofit their shipping fleets.

As far as closing the shipping channel, it will never happen. Chicago is Obama's home turf. He has more than usual personnal interest in the ramifications of shutting down the main shipping channel for commerce in Chicago. It would be extremely costly, whatever industry would need to do if the shipping channel were shut down.

All we can do is keep screaming for action and hope its not too late to stop this fish.

The Comrade President and the rest of the politicians need to act instead of watch. Mr. Spock said it best, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, the one."

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(transammike @ Jan 20 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hate to be a pessimist, but I think trying to keep them out is useless. I know you can shoot them with a bow.
Screw that. When they get to our side of the lake. I am not using my bow. Arrows cost to much. I will be carrying the old trusty 12 gauge and blast those mothas back to he!! where they came from. LOL

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTEThis problem did not just pop up over night. The asian carp have been a known threat for years and years and yet now we are just finally taking decisive action. This summit should have been held five years ago before those little carp bastards were knocking on the Great Lakes back door.
Keep that in mind guys. Obama did not create this situation. It was handed to him on the same platter of catastrophic problems that were bringing this country to it's knees long before he became President.

You can't turn back time, but the fact that these things were allowed to be imported (over 25 years ago) without the foresight of the potential devastation they could create can't be ignored. But it happened.

You also can't ignore that Federal funding to complete the elctronic barrier on the Chicago Ship Canal didn't happen until 2004, when the little ba$tards were already within 50 miles of the Great Lakes. After watching them travel over hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles north, nothing was done - for years - to prevent them from reaching the Great Lakes until they were literally knocking on the door. Then, when it was time build the barrier, the COE really did a pi$$ poor job. Nearly $10million (!!!) was spent to build the barrier, which had to be upgraded less than four years later (last year) because it was not doing an adequate job of stopping the fish.

Now the administration is being faced with the proposal to close the canal which would, regardless of the diminished traffic in recent years, quite likely cause the loss of jobs the closure of businesses that rely on the shipping that still takes place in the canal. From our side of the fence (no pun intended) it seems like an easy decision to make. Can you understand how this might not be a popular decison to make at this point in our economy, even if the closure is temporary?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't be for sure but I thought I heard last night on channel 7 on the 7 o'clock news that som buisnessmen from chi. were going to but a bounty on these fish. Local ferilizer company owners could use these little bastards to make their product and would pay by the fish for them. Its not a half bad idea. In history humans have hunted several species to the brink of extinction for profit, why not these things? In 1975 after the release oj the movie "Jaws" 250 million white sharks were sluaghtered on the alantic coast so many in fact that white sharks were not seen there for decades. I site my facts from discovery. We could do something like that here. Asian carp have no season, no size limits, no possision limits as the DNR doesnt have them listed on their site. I say happy fishing boys!

Just my two sense, sorry if I offended.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hunting to extinction wouldnt solve anything. Look at gobies, other carp, and other invasive species. I can catch hundreds of gobies a day at metro, and still make no dent in the population.

This is the idea i had: the shipping that goes through chicago must go through the Soo, correct. (most of it, anyway) Why doesnt michigan close off all shipping at the Soo. Then, there would be almost no shipping coming through to chicago. At that point, they might as well close the lock in chicago, cause no ships are going through anyways. Then these stupid politicians can all have there little meetings and hopefully come up with something productive. I do realize that the shipping companies would be pissed, but im sure theres some loophole we could use to close it temporarily. Something like " Oh, no, the locks broke, guess you'll have to wait till we can fix them". It seems like a lot of Michigans politicians are against the carp, so i feel we have enough people on our side that they could atleast try this tactic. Idk, just a thought.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Typical politics. Regardless of who is in office, this situation would turn out the exact same way. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan... They would have all bowed to the almighty dollar. It's politics and it's total BS!! The people in Washington only care about getting re-elected, and fishermen (especially great lakes fishermen) are such a small part of the constituency that they don't matter. Of course Michigan's legislators will argue for the closure, because they're the ones who are effected by the votes. The only person accountable in Washington for this is the president, and I don't think he's worried about us so much as his Chicago area support. Cash is king, and nowhere is it more true than in politics.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts