1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0311/22/...etro-331965.htm

Reef gives Great Lakes sturgeon place to meet, mate
Associated Press

DETROIT -- A $500,000 federally backed project aims to give ancient Great Lakes sturgeon a better place to meet and mate.

An artificial spawning reef just off the city's Belle Isle park in the Detroit River will be ready in time for the sturgeon's spawning run next spring, local, state and federal officials announced Thursday.

The goal is to bring back natural breeding in the river after more than a century.

"There is very limited evidence that they are successfully spawning at all" in the river, said John Hartig, Detroit River navigator.

In the late 1800s, fishing nets caught many of the hard-scaled fish, which can live 150 years and reach 7 feet.

"We mined out the gravel by dredging the river for shipping, and for building the buildings you see in Detroit today," said Bruce Manny, a fishery biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. "No gravel, no spawning.

"Left with nothing but the mucky, spongy bottom of the river, the females simply never lay eggs."

Scientists have found sturgeon spawning in other areas of Michigan, including the St. Clair River near Port Huron and near Algonac, the Black River near Cheboygan, the St. Marys River in the Upper Peninsula and some tributaries of Lake Michigan.

The project will create three 50-by-80 foot squares of rock and gravel under 20 to 28 feet of water in a fast-moving section of the river.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Very interesting PWood:

I'd be interested to see what other species might also use this for the spawn.

h2o<----sturgeon should like this idea.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
QUOTE(PWood @ Dec 3 2003, 03:02 PM)The project will create three 50-by-80 foot squares of rock and gravel under 20 to 28 feet of water in a fast-moving section of the river.
Man,..and I thought my bed at home was hard!!....

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
A great addition to the spawning site would be underwater webcams.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
When I'm spawning, I don't normally like any cameras watching...that's just me...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(djkimmel @ Dec 9 2003, 01:21 PM)When I'm spawning, I don't normally like any cameras watching...that's just me...
I certainly dont want that visual Dan....lol

The Sturgeon reef should be an asset to the fish, I just hope it isnt taken over by smallies....or maybe I do! LOL

Thanx for sharing the info woth us Terry....I didnt want to let anyone know about it....j/k

Mini

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I wonder if the Sturgeon and Smallies spawn at the same time??...I bet the sturgeon spawn a lot earlier,.....like Pike,...but I have no idea....who can enlighten' the Brutha?? LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts