Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
What kind of boat do you have and what speed were you hitting?

Saturday night we were doing 7.5 with all the sails up on a hunter 33, one of our best rides ever, hated to come in we were having so much fun!!

Agreed about the winds, the water's up, the winds are in our favor, apparently the gods are happy!!! (Seems that swig of Grey Goose I offer to Posoiden every time I go out is pleasing him!

·
Registered
349 Posts
As this is my first full year on the lake,,,,, wow,, this is great. This is my first boat and I am lovin it!

Still learning to handle the quiet winds as well as the stiff ones.

If this is what I have been missing for 43 years,,, shame on me.

hope to see you all on the lake!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
696 Posts
Glad to hear it Jeff!!

Lake St Clair is indeed s treasure and a fantastic sailing lake, we are in our 8th season on the lake with a sailboat and loving every minute of it.

Have you been night sailing yet? I highly recommend it. The winds pick up, all the jet skis are off the water, most of the powerboats are gone and it's quiet, very quiet. We love going out after midnight and leaving the radio off and just sailing... The Nautical mile is well lit up and you can always find your way home but the peace and serenity of the lake at night is truly something to experience...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have been told that night sailing is the best by some friends,, but have not yet tried it.

I think Ill have to move it up the list of things to experience.

Thanks, I really appreaciate all the help and advice.

I would like to crew on someones boat one of these days,,,, to see how it is supposed to be done.

Jeff

·
Registered
696 Posts
Racing or beercan sailing??

·
Registered
349 Posts
probably either,,, but got to warn those serious racers out there,,, Im very new to this.

So probably beercan to start. But I can only think that racing will be fun too.

I only have the experience on my boat to date, and I know I dont know much. I have read alot and talked to friends that have sailed in the past, but have not had the opportunity to bring them out for a day(to pick their brains).

I will have the boat out of the water the weekend of 7-24/25, cleaning her up and a coat of bottom paint b4 we take her to grand traverse bay, soooooooooooo
If anyone wants a lazy crew member, Im available!!

jeff

ps: Ill bring the beer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jeff,
What kind of boat do you have, what kind of sailing you looking to do, and where do you sail out of?

regards,
Dan
1995 Seaward 25'

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tuition a 26' 1976 clipper marine, I just finished a new paint job,,, both top an bottom.

Puttin it back in the water on Sunday, the 15th.

I like a cruise around the lake, I keep it out of a canal near Selfridge.

see ya on the lake

·
Registered
696 Posts
Saw a TON of sailboats out tonight, the winds were pretty consistent between 13 & 17 kts, we were sailing from Nautical Mile to Strawberry Island & back, what a beautiful night; great sunset, great wind, ahhhhhhhh This is summer time!!! Too bad it's freakin September already!

·
Registered
349 Posts
That was a very good day on the lake,,,,

Loved hearing the power boats complain about the chop. This was probably the best day Ive had on the lake this year.

Hit the lake at about 9:30 this morning,, Made a fast trip across the bay from Selfridge to Fair Haven. Took a little to get used to the swells,,, but was a blast.

Went back for lunch in front of Mac 'n Rays(with just about everyone else on the lake).

Then just sailed to strawberry and back a few times. Was fun to see all the Sails filled on the bay.

And to think, only 2 months left of Summer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts