Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my supervisor at work, Pam is an ex firefighter and an amazing woman. She can handle any problem that comes her way and is very much in charge. She has developed breast cancer and over the course of the past year has had her breasts amputated and gone through lots of chemotherapy. However, she comes to work every day she is scheduled and does her job no matter how sick she feels due to the chemo. Everytime I talk to her she is on top of things and seems in a good mood. Management is getting upset though because she is switching hours with other supervisors to make it to chemo treatments and taking too much time off of work. Every time she requests time off she has to provide proof that she's going to a doctor, she can't just take time off for the hell of it. So now she has been demoted back to a cashier. Those who have seen her crying over this say that she says that she was told she 'wasn't doing her job' There are rumors going around that she is taking a four month leave of absence though I'm not sure about that. I am totally at a loss, I am very upset by this. At the very least I am planning on petitioning to get her job back, I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Where do you work? What type of work does this lady do? It's to bad that compasion has been lost.....it's not her fault that she had cancer.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
It is great that you want to do something to help out a fellow worker but in this economy I would be careful that what ever you do will not upset management.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That's really too bad.

My wife had breast cancer about eight years ago and she had a double mastectomy with reconstruction but only stayed off work two weeks, which is really wild if you know anyone who has gone through that. But that was all the vacation time she had. Her employer wasn't about to give her a paid medical leave because that's just not their policy and we understood that. But they were really great about telling her to do the best she could every day and leave when she got too tired or was in too much pain to stay. And there was never any question about her taking off for doctors appointments or the eventual chemo treatments she had to have.

So I know firsthand that what your friend is going through is a real bitch and if her employer values her at all they should show her consideration. I'm sorry they aren't - most of us get stuck working for bastards it seems.

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am currently a cashier at KMart <_< <_< <_< She is (was) a front end supervisor/service desk associate. I cannot even believe that they could do that.

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ttt

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
that sucks sounds like she needs to seek out leagle advice doesnt sound right at all .

worked at a shop in ferndale cm smillie long time ago this guy got cancer and was off for chemo a lot , while he was in the hospital after being sick for a while from it my foreman calls him up and lays him off. said he missed to much work course he told me what he did i opend my mouth telling everyone what he told me because he thought it was funny what a arse hole he was. word got back to him i was bitching course i was booted shortly after for speaking my mind. wasnt a big deal jobs were plentyfull then but becareful what you say to people and who you say it to.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(Veronique @ Oct 22 2003, 04:45 PM)I am currently a cashier at KMart <_< <_< <_< She is (was) a front end supervisor/service desk associate. I cannot even believe that they could do that.

Well, I won't be shopping at Kmart! That is just terrible and wrong.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
BUSINESS IS BUSINESS...NEW CORPERATE MOTTO....

AND I FOR ONE SAY THAT IS BULLSHIOT!!!!!!!

LEGALLY THAT ARE WITHIN THEIR BOUNDRIES, BUT MORALLY CORUPT!!!!!

BUT IF WERE THEM OR THEIR FAMILY IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT STORY.

I AM TRULY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR FRIEND... PASS MY BEST ON TO HER

THIS BOTHERS ME BECAUSE MY FRIENDS WIFE JUST DIED FROM BREAST CANCER AND

SHE WAS TREATED MUCH IN THE SAM MANNER FROM HER FORMER EMPLOYERS. AND

THEY HAD THE BALLS TO SHOW UP AT HER FUNERAL..BASTARDS

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
it makes me sick.
freaking corporations.
i am NOT setting foot in kmart. first martha, now this.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
WHAT BULL SHIOT!!!
That blows! My wife worked at K-Fart for 7 years and they never did give much of a damn for their employees. She saw employees get disciplined for the stupidest things. If a customer had a stick up their arse, you didn't want to be in that area at all because all it took was a stupid, unfair complaint and you were in trouble.

I'm sorry for your friend, can't even imagine what she is going through right now. She sounds like a valuable worker and I wish her luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
"LEGALLY THAT ARE WITHIN THEIR BOUNDRIES, BUT MORALLY CORUPT!!!!!"

That remains to be seen! Can you say EEOC and lawsuit!! That's the kind of case the EEOC is just gnashing it's teeth for. Total BS,

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Typical KMart logic. I'd alert the news.

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Oct 23 2003, 09:20 AM)Typical KMart logic. I'd alert the news.
what he said!!!! seriously, channel 2 hall of shame, problem solvers, ruth to the rescue, anyone!!!

which kmart is it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts