Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Guess bass fisherman can't read

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  No More Mini 
#1 ·
Was at the launch at Selfridge at 4:45 Tuesday afternoon. I was coming in from a day of pleasure boating. Looks like a small bass tourny might be ready to launch. Guys were in the retrieve lanes while getting ready to launch and the retrieve docks while launching. Other boats were also coming in to retrieve.

Docks 1-8 are for launching and 9-13 are for retrieving. There are enough signs stating this, guess they can't read.

I think I pissed one guy off because I was in the retrieve dock and he wanted to launch. Oh well buddy you lose!!!

#2 ·
We had that problem alot last year, not from other fishermen, but from drunk speedboaters, etc and even some jet ski's. they complained and even went as far as trying to fight with us once we got on shore! wheres the sheriff when you need them?
once on shore, most of the guys could barely walk let alone drive!
very disturbing to know that people get that drunk out there so close to docking the boat! I told them that i would call the police if the driver of the boat tried to drive the car.
The majority of boaters and fisherman know there limit and how to appreciate the lake without seeing it with one eye covered!
I know i am ranting a little, but this situation should be addressed, maybe by the dnr watching over it, or just ticketing those who ignore the signs and almost cause accidents!
sorry for how nasty this sounds, but i hope most of you agree.
selfridge gets packed and a simple mistake could cause hours of backup.

#3 ·
Well said....I have seen more "other"' boaters (read non bass boaters) use the lanes incorrectly. I really dont think the general public understands the launch and retrieve lanes......

A little friggin note.....

When you look in the mirror and the end of the dock has a red reflecting sticker on it you better be retrieving your boat......or else you are in the wrong lane.

TO easy times at the launch....yea right...lol

Mini

#4 ·
I have seen this problem all the time.....People that back their boat to the waters edge and them decide that it is time to take the straps off and prepair to launch. That is what the prep lanes are for. If you are prepaired to launch when their is a open slip it wouldn't be so bad. Most Bass Fisherman are able to launch their boats in seconds NOT WEEKS like some chumps.........

#6 ·
We launched out of Selfridge last night for the GNT Trail prox. 4:30/4:45 and I didn't see a problem with the loading/unloading of boats, heck there was plenty of room for both when we unloaded. I unloaded on #9 and didn't see a problem, it wasn't like there were pleasure boats just waiting to load because of bass boats in the way. If it were anything like the weekend (a busy time) I would have never put in on that dock.

Maybe you should have gone over to talk to the guy to see if he knew that he was unloading on the wrong dock and was blocking someone from coming in. The main problem is that some people always complain about someone else whether it's at the launch or on the water. You've also got to understand that there's a lot of new boaters every year some do/don't know the proper procedures and little bit of courtesy and respect to each other will go a long way. I'm sure most of us have made mistakes before (I for one), but sometimes you have to make mistakes in order to learn. I've even forgot to put the plug in once and even forgot to unstrap the back of the boat one time! I'm willing to admit that I put in on a out ramp but just remember the next time you blow thru a yellow light that you are breaking the law and even possibly putting someone else's life in danger. Just my .02 cents.

#7 ·
I know this sounds a little simple and straightforward but could we have the docks signed saying RETRIEVE OR LAUNCH instead of with colors. A lot of the weekend boats don't have a clue as to what these colors mean. Why can't we make it simple and simply put signs at the end of the docks? I have been launching on St. Clair now for over 20 years and it seams like it would be such a low cost solution to a very annoying problem. I would be happy to make a set of signs for this launch and give it a try. They could even swivel so as to say Retrieve on one side and Launch on the other, that way the DNR guy can control his site based on traffic.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
RED---MEANS STOP

GREEN---MEANS GO

Can't get any simpler than that.

If you noticed on the launch ramps you see green while launching, and on the back side of those docks it is red.

Jefferson launch has neither with only 3 available docks.

I can see launching from all docks early in the morning because no one is coming in.( although if someone is coming in he should have the right of way on the retrieve docks) But after say 11am, launch and retrieve rules should apply.

Ozonemaker-- there are signs there and also arrows on the pavement directing retrieve and launch.

#13 ·
eye kin reed jus fyne thanc yoo feri mush.

on the real tho, i think most people just dont care. they see an open lane and they take it. im not saying all, but from my experiences last year at harley ( and i did see tickets being given) a lot of power boaters/jet skiiers payed no attention to what lane was for what.

it is always bad when there is a tourney because you are adding 20 to 50 or more boats that need to get off the water at the same time. now if there are 20 or more boats waiting to pull their boats off the water, these other guys just jump to a launch lane if there isnt anyone backing a boat in at that time.

the first time we went down there we pulled up to a launching dock too. we had no idea, ther were signs yes, but there is always so much going on that we didnt even notice. we got called on it, and we learned a lesson. no damage done. no we know, and knowing is half the battle.

madman himself

#14 ·
By the way, Mike, how was the fishing?

#15 ·
I was pulling out sat. afternoon forma pleasure fishing trip and unfortunately I timed my arrival just as the 2 tournaments were pulling in. What a mess. But, the "Ramp manager" ina DNR uniform was out there do his job. I did see him whistle at a couple of boats that were violating this red/green rule.
On a separate note, a tourny guy with Indiana numbers on his boat was putting his boat on his trailer and he did a little "power load" bump to drive the boat into the stop. I politely mentioned to him that he could get cited for that at this ramp and you would have thought I had discussed his origins relative to the marital status of his mother from the look he shot me. My 11 yr old was with me so I held my temper and let it ride. This is certainly the kind of stuff that we have all discussed and read here before.

Greg

#16 ·
Is this a St. Clair thing?

Every single launch that i've been to I have never seen or heard of this Red/Green stuff.

Never had a problem on the big ramps on Erie or Detroit River with first come first serve type of deal.

Whatever happened to common courtesy?

With these launch and retrieve lanes are you supposed to wait until a retrieve lane opens up and leave the launch lanes open? Sounds kind of stupid to me!

#19 ·
Come over and launch in Canuck land. If you are going though Detroit to launch at either Metro Beach, or Elizabeth Park, it's just as quick to launch in Windsor. You won't get all your crap stolen either like at St.Jeans.

#20 ·
H?ey Mini I see you down there..

The boat launch brings out the best in everyone.

I clearly understand the red and green reflectors. I always thought I they didnt surve a purpose cuz I was the only person who paid attention to them. I do think fishermen are more respectful and pay more attention to these things.

Jet skiers dont even need a dock.

#22 ·
Since it seems that many people, even on this site, don't know about the green and red markers on the docks, more needs to be done to inform the boating public. People aren't stupid just because they haven't been shown the correct system at the launches.

#23 ·
Walleye Mike,
Way to single out the bass boat anglers. Thanks. We need more attention brought to everything we do.

I've noticed that an awful lot of boaters just tie up and pull out from whatever dock is open at any ramp regardless of rules. I'm sure many don't know about the red and green. When it gets busy, people just do what they feel like and there are a lot more non-bass boats than there are bass boats.

Last night, I saw a tuna boat with down-riggers plowing into the Clinton River. He didn't have musky lures out, so I could assume he was a walleye angler and say "Hey, can't you walleye anglers read the no-wake AND understand the sheriff" since he hollered twice at the boat over the loud speaker including demanding the second time he come over the the station. Instead, I just figure the guy driving the boat was a selfish jerk who will just do whatever he feels like since I consider the individual. He just happens to drive a small cabin cruiser with downriggers.

Last I saw, he disappeared up the Clinton still plowing a heck of a wake and nothing happened. The sheriff office loudspeaker went silent and the tuna captain never changed his speed a bit. I wonder if that just means he got away with it and will do it again? There was only one small boat left at the sheriff station. I'm almost positive I've seen this same boat plowing in at night along the rocks the same way before. I guess he's one of those special people who doesn't have to live by the rules like the rest of us. Interesting since most people actually do honor the no wake rule in the Clinton River.

#25 ·
Walleye Mike,

There has been alot of singling out of bass fisherman lately and Dan Kimmel has been adamannt on defending all people that drive bass boats. AND informing bass fisherman that we are under the scopeof the general public.

Bottom line there are people that will do as they want no matter what. Fortunatly enough, most of them dont boat or fish, but some of them do.

Mini

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.