Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the walleye was caught in about 6 fow, in the middle of a school of carp. there was a huge school of minnows right where we were fishing, and the minnows we were fishing with were the exact same size. i don't have a temperature guage on my depth finder, but my hand said the water was much warmer from the warm water discharge from the edison plant where the fish were caught, than the temp in the river the further down from the plant.

we boated around 8 carp i believe, but only the one walleye. i'm sure there had to be more walleye there, but couldn't manage any others. i was snagging up, and breaking off constantly. if you didn't snag up, you weren't catching anything, not even bites. i probably went through 15 jigs in 5 1/2 hours. i caught fish on black, red, and chartruse. didn't seem to matter too much. however, not one fish was caught without a live minnow.

i almost caught a fish i didn't even have hooked.... i caught someone elses' fishing line, and the fish was attached to that line. i almost couldn't figure it out when my jig was out of the water, but i had a fish on, fighting. the fish took one good run, and my bait pulled free from the line. would that be a legally caught fish?? is that tournament legal??? i had a dnr guy in my boat with me, and he was unsure about that very question.

anyways, after this week of warm rain, and warm weather,,,, the eyes will be in there thick soon.... time to buy some more jigs.

derrek <-- walleye are ok, but smallies are much more fun

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
In my eyes it was legal....

It happened to me a few years back in a State Championship tournament. Yes I weighed that fish in.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Great story nitroderrek. There are tricks to the snagin problems. But with all the tonage you caught what's a few jigs. A legal fish has to be caught with a hook and a line and that's what you had on so heck, how could a judge or anyone dispute that. Thanks for the report you guy's had a blast.

h2o<---You posted the first caught Wallie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts