Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my grandson out today behind Selfridge and man did we get the rockbass!!! We brought home 38 rockies and thru back at least that many. Could have kept all of them actually for the sizes, but we just kept the really huge ones because grandpa did not want to clean fish for a few hours today. Yellow and firetiger harnesses were great for us as were some crank baits that my grandson used as well. We also caught 7 smallies, one largemouth, a huge catfish that I guess went 10 pounds, only two perch and a sunnie.
Fish the area between the boat launch ramps and the barracks for two hours 10:00 - 12:00 noon. They were still biting like heck when we left. We were trolling, and guys were getting their share of them casting too. Lots of boats out there. Mainly 5-7 FOW for us. Lot of boats out farther too. Spoke to one guy out there that said he and his dad caught 7 eyes out there yesterday, but had none today themselves. Your kids will have a blast out there with those rockies. Get 'em out there!

Note: Saw lot of minnows jumping being chased by something I would imagine, but I did not try minnows today.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I fished the same area 5/20 with soft plastic worms. The Rock Bass were on fire every cast five or six hits before one would get hooked but a Rock Bass on every cast. About 50% were the big 10" plus black ones. Gar Pike everywhere and a bunch of small 18" Muskies.
I was wishing I had my grandson out there but he had school.
Fun times and memories for the kids.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I fished the same area 5/20 with soft plastic worms. The Rock Bass were on fire every cast five or six hits before one would get hooked but a Rock Bass on every cast. About 50% were the big 10" plus black ones. Gar Pike everywhere and a bunch of small 18" Muskies.
I was wishing I had my grandson out there but he had school.
Fun times and memories for the kids.
Are the gar pike the fish that were swimming right at the surface of the water? I was wondering what they were out there. I was never close enough to really see what they were, but thought they may be pike just kinda rolling at the surface. My grandson really enjoyed himself with those rockies. We caught a lot of the big black ones, and the all just nailed the worms and crank baits. When they hit, they were hooked and all put up a great fight. It was amazing as how many were biting yesterday.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great day with your Grandson. Those minnows are everywhere! There must have been one heck of a hatch. I've seen them on Lake Erie from Toledo all the way up in the Detroit. I've never seen this many minnows on the lake in all my years of fishing. The white bass are everywhere as well. You can't make a cast without catching one of those darn things. This minnow population should help the perch and walleye young out some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts