Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few years I have found myself struggling with a commitment to not fish St. Clair during the closed bass season. In the past you could find me out there hunting them down as soon as the ice would let let me. I decided to obey the laws a couple of seasons ago (minus a couple of days when the urge was just too great..... sorry...... just shoot me!!!) and found myself struggling to really stay off the water and leave the fish alone. But this weekend I think I came up with a solution that puts me on the water, keeps me in touch with what's going on out there, and helps me learn about our great fishery without ever making a cast.

I realized that when I have time to spend fishing the lake during the open season, I spend my time doing just that....fishing. Way too many times to count I have found myself watching my graph, with rod and reel in hand and catching fish, noticing something interesting happening on my graph (bottom composition, a contour change, etc...) and thinking to myself that I should come back later to really check it out. But I've realized, to my own fault, that I've never spent the time to do it.

I think that now is the perfect time to do just that. I can spend hours and hours on end looking for those big spawners, checking out the areas that they are using, and figuring out where they are going to go when done, WITHOUT EVER MAKING A CAST OR HOOKING A FISH!!! In the past I could never fathom spending 8 to 10 hours a day idling around a small area with the Aqua-Vu, learning the subtle intricacies of the bottom without a rod in hand trying to catch them. Now I can't wait to get out there.

I can think of so many areas (spots...) that I have neglected to explore in the past, that are just prime for idling around with notebook in one hand, and Aqua-Vu in the other. I feel that this will satisfy my urge to be on the water and get close to the fish, and keep me in touch with what's going on out there, without ever making a cast to hook one.

Honestly, let's face it.....there is no sport to catching smallies out there at this time. Throw a danged spark plug out there with a hook on it some days and you can catch one. I feel I can do myself much more good for the upcoming season at this time by learning more about the areas that I like to fish and learning what puts the fish there.

Like I said, just an idea.....

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
That sounds like a great idea Jighead. Can I get a copy of your notes?

I have an Aquaview also and, like you, I get too hung up fishing to use it to really understand the underwater world in order to really improve as a fisherman. I like it!

Jim

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
On a new lake, and even one you know, time spent with elevtronics (AquaVu or Lowrance) is time well spent.

I do it constantly, even while fishing in a tournament (Lowrance only) because I have built a confidence level in my equipment and I know if I see certain things on my screen I can equate that to a new weed bed, a school of baitfish, a rockpile, etc.

Well said jighead and great advice to all of us....

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
That's what I do, and it's paid off a few times....

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Just think of what I would know if I would have had a Aqua View when I was a kid. Or a depth Finder?? Wow.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Bob, I thought depthfinder was what they always called the tall brother in the 'old' days???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts