Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinking of buying a portable hand held vhf radio for on boat ,, any comments on how well they work? or brands? better then others?

G

·
I have an ICOM. It works very well. Well constructed, easy to use. Handles very well. I have talked to Hammer at Beacon Cove from Gull Island before. (When there wasn't a lot of chit chat on the air). My opinion: ICOM is the best. Mr. Sunbum has one that is 20 years old, and still works excellent.

·
12,052 Posts
I have a standard horizon waterproof model. At the NCYC it was on the bottom of the marina under the dock all night (it was on) and it still works.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Jul 23 2003, 09:27 PM)I have an ICOM. It works very well. Well constructed, easy to use. Handles very well. I have talked to Hammer at Beacon Cove from Gull Island before. (When there wasn't a lot of chit chat on the air). My opinion: ICOM is the best. Mr. Sunbum has one that is 20 years old, and still works excellent.
I also have an ICOM...I always hear you guys talking. I am off of Jefferson accross from the lake and it gets pretty good reception. I also take it to Harsen's with me and does even better at that location. I have heard that hand held's have the ability to transmit up 5-7 miles...some cases more depending on location and time of day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts