Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on your basic handheld GPS units.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am currently using the GPS MAP 76 from garmin and really like the features. Given the chioce I would have gotten a larger version though, when you are under way it is a bit hard to read...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Pistoli... I have a Garmin Map 76 and purchased Blue Chart. It's got great features and you can download periodic upgrades to the to the units base program from their web site.

Regarding screen size, like most hand helds it is difficult to see in certain situations, but if you have a laptop computer loaded with Blue Chart you can connect the Map76 to your laptop and use that screen.....

The Blue Chart software is an invaluable add-on to this unit. Not only do you get great detail of Lk St Clair (or whatever waterway you purchase) but it also gives you the opportunity to chart courses at home on your computer and then download the info into your GPS unit...

G

·
I had a Garmin GPSMap 76 on my last boat and loved it. It had a decent coverage of LSC including navigation buoys. Sometimes the shoreline was a little off and it didn't have any depth contours, but you could upload that info from a CD (sold separately.) It was also good for taking on road trips since it had most major roads on it too. I would recommend it over a plain GPS without any mapping/charting capabilities.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, sounds like we have a winner.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS MAP 76S model. It has more memory then the regular GPS76.. You can store more points and so on. I got mine $100 off on Ebay brand new in the box from a store who was taking bids on the unit.... Give it a shot...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts