Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April 1, 2004 is finally here. we can now target bass on 6 michigan lakes ( 3 of which are in oakland county ) without having to look over our shoulders or think of excuses.

Now, get out there and FISH!!! Kent lake, Cass lake, and Pontiac lake are all great lakes, especially in the spring. anyone who has not fished one or all of these lakes is really missing out. Take advantage.

madman himself

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good luck to everyone today and for the rest of the season. Madman, I went and bought 5 traps so I hope they work on Kent Friday. I will see you on the water friday. Would like a report from anyone the went today (thursday).

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Casting, Yes today's the day. Got one, get the net. Fish on, He's bull doggin, it's taking line, Oh!!!! it's a monster, I can't do anything he won't come up yet. Don't know what it is. He's going around the boat. He broke water, No slack, I'll just hand land him. All those and more saying's apply now.

h2o<--says good luck to all that fish.

I caught a 11lb. largemouth ( April Fools )

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
h2o - I was sure it was a dogfish!!! That was our big one early last year at Kent.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Dan darn. Dogfish are pre-historic and i remember when they would say kill them. That never made sence. I got a 10 1/2 pound Bowfin, which is a dog fish, in the Georgian Bay years ago. Wow what a battle.
Bowfin fish

What do they look like?

Bowfins have large heads and mouths, have sharp teeth which they like to puncture their prey, one very long fin with about 50 soft rays, and a wide circular tail. These fish are dull in color, ranging from browns to greens on the tops and upper sides to lighter greens and whites on the lower sides and stomachs. These fish are known for their numerous stripes. They have what appear to be diagonal stripes on their dorsal fins, and maintain a rather large black spot near the caudal fin. In addition, bowfins do have a feature that is not present on any other freshwater fish. They have a bony plate-like feature under their bottom jaws. These are called gular plates. Another interesting feature of the bowfin is that it actually has an air bladder. These fish can hang out at the surface of the water and actually breathe air from above the surface.

How do they behave?

Bowfins prefer warm temperatures in which to live. They spawn in late spring and early summer. During spawning season, the males build nests on gravel substrates that may make good places to fertilize the eggs of females. The nests are the males. Females are the visitors to the nests. Each male's nest may have as many as 30,000 eggs. Male bowfins are highly protective of their offspring. They protect the eggs for several weeks until they hatch and can function on their own.

What else do you need to know about them?

You won't see bowfins eating any vegetation. They are meat-eaters. They like to eat young bass or walleye, in particular.

These fish are known as predators and generally work alone. You'll rarely see them in groups.

h2o<---it's been around along time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll be on Pontiac Lake Sunday. If there are no reports by then, I'll post one.

I caught a bowfin on St. Clair last year. It was an ugly S.O.B. but what a good fight. I would have taken a picture but Mac wouldn't let me pull in his boat. He made me cut my line

·
Formerly &quot;FRL&quot;
930 Posts
I took a ride out to Holloway today for a few hours.

Finally caught my first bass on that lake. A smallmouth too. I fished for about 2 hours and caught 3 keepers one over 3lbs.. Not a great day but I barely know the lake at all and for the most part I got some ideas where to go the next time I am there.

I will be heading down to Kent for a few hours tommorow. Since I know Kent slightly better I hope to have better luck. I will be on the water at about 9:30 am and coming off the lake at around 2:30 if anyone wants to meet me there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We were the first (and only) boat to grace opening day on Kent today (at least when we were when we left at 5pm). It was pretty darn windy which made it hard to control the boat, but we managed 3 keepers (two 3lb largies and a barely legal smallie). The first fish was caught on a Rattlin' Rapala (minnow color), the second on a Pointer (ghost minnow), and the third on a Mann's Minus 1 (baby bass). The first largie hit the Rapala burned in 1.5 ft of water, the second fish (the smallie) hit the pointer in 9 feet of water while paused, and the third fish hit the Minus 1 while burning it in 2 ft. of water. I did lay into a good fish using a 3/8 oz black/blue jig n pig, but it came unbuttoned before I could see it. I'll be back out there Saturday and will let you know how I do...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts