Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I posted a similar message regarding crankbaits last year. Do you guys/gals like to:

1. tie directly to a hard jerkbait w/no snap or no "O" ring
2. tie to an "O" ring on the hard jerkbait
3. use a snap to attach directly to the hard jerkbait
4. use a snap to attach to the "O" ring on the hard jerkbait

Just wanted to see what guys/gals on the forum had to say about jerkbaits.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i know some guys take the ring off.

to me this makes no sense. that split ring is there for a reason. without it, you are sacrificing alot of the action the bait is designed to give when properly rigged.

you can slightly change the action of a jerkbait by using a slightly bigger split ring, or vice versa. it allows for some freedom of movement between your main line and the bait itself.

this is all just opinion, but it is all based on trying new things over the years. i throw hard jerkbaits all season. it is the bait i throw the most. i am in no way claiming to be an expert, but i do feel that i know my stuff when it comes to hard jerkbaits.

another thing to keep in mind is this. split rings while cheap, are not free. lure mfgs would not put them on the baits if they did not serve a purpose.

thats my story, and im sticking to it!

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Just as changing the size will change the action, so does removing it. Somedays it just might make the difference.

There is no limit to the experimentation on fishing lures!

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I just find that the split ring cause's the line to get into the split of the ring itself and cause problems. Most likely because all I use is fireline and the diameter is real small. So i like to remove it and tie a snap on the line and go from there I feel you get the same action on the snap and eliminates the problem i have with split rings. You can use different size snaps to change the action. Also you sure can change them up quickly.

h2o<---says it sure works good with my Bombers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.