Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we live in a area where the lord has "blessed" us with two differant types of fishing, hard and soft water. Which one is your favorite and why? Im just trying to start a new nice topic so here we go... I personally like summer fishing because of the lure fishing in the weeds for whatever bites and the not having to worry about falling through ice

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I like summer fishing, I like being on the boat or just fishing off shore.
the weather for me is better, as I am not a cold weather person. I do
like reading the posts in the ice fishing forum, and seeing the pics but its
just not for me. I tried it once, and just didn't care for it. Even whipping for
walleye in the spring in the cold, or perch fishing in October or early November
is fine with me.
You can keep the hard water.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
summer softwater..cause I enjoy being on the boat casting vs sitting on the ice over a tiny hole. If I could walk out onto the ice, cut a huge hole big enough to cast into, I'd be set. I also dont eat any fish I catch, so catching a mess of panfish isnt my cup of tea, so to speak. Anyone that has fished with me knows im anti-panfish LOL..Its also nice seeing some of the babes in swimsuits when leaving/returning to the docks.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Soft water. It is too cold to be outside trying to work on the boat during hard water season.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Soft! My decades of being a Penquin are over. Beside SM is closed when the ice takes over.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
as much as i liked my first year on the ice, followed by my first boat, the ability to cast is alot better. i do love the ice season, but covering a bigger area has a better turn out.

ice does reduce the cabin fever though.......

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I like them both equally. I find myself fantasizing about ice fishing during the summer, and I dream of soft water fishing in the winter. You always want it just because you can't have it. Ice fishing is nice for someone who doesn't have a boat (that's me) because all you need are your 2 feet to get out and go fishing. It opens up a lot of opportunities for me. However, I tend to get cold hands and feet real easy, so ice fishing isn't always so pleasant for me. Nevertheless, I love it and don't plan on stopping. Softwater fishing is nice because you get to cover a lot of water. When ice fishing you cover very little water so you really have to be on the spot. On the sofwater you can cast and cover lots of water, thus increasing your chances. I also LOVE being on the boat (someone elses) and just cruising around. Plus, you can't fish for bass through the ice. The weather is usually a little more hospitable too. But overall, they're both great, and this question is like asking a parent who there favorite kid is. It's just not fair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am definitely a ice fisherman. To be honest I don't even touch a fishing pole until winter. I have fished in soft water but it's just not for me. Maybe because I have never had a boat to fish off. Not to mention I spend my summer scouting for archery season so that leaves little time for fishing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 20 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like them both equally. I find myself fantasizing about ice fishing during the summer, and I dream of soft water fishing in the winter. You always want it just because you can't have it. Ice fishing is nice for someone who doesn't have a boat (that's me) because all you need are your 2 feet to get out and go fishing. It opens up a lot of opportunities for me. However, I tend to get cold hands and feet real easy, so ice fishing isn't always so pleasant for me. Nevertheless, I love it and don't plan on stopping. Softwater fishing is nice because you get to cover a lot of water. When ice fishing you cover very little water so you really have to be on the spot. On the sofwater you can cast and cover lots of water, thus increasing your chances. I also LOVE being on the boat (someone elses) and just cruising around. Plus, you can't fish for bass through the ice. The weather is usually a little more hospitable too. But overall, they're both great, and this question is like asking a parent who there favorite kid is. It's just not fair.

Best answer yet....

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Add one more to the soft water column.

I can take the ice because fishing is fishing, but the work involved to drag everything around the ice in search of fish is always a sad reminder of how out of shape I am.

My back can't take sitting on a bucket all day anymore, either. Although it doesn't seem to bother me as much to bounce around the lake in the boat all day. Go figure.....

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
As a Kid it was both for me. I went ice fishing 63 straight days (No work) one year. I have fished over 300 days a year for qseveral times over the years. No it is soft water for this old body.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I love both of them with a passion. Nothing Like hooking that nice early spring smallie. Just as much fun as pulling that first jumbo through the ice. I don't have a boat so I am able to cover a lot more water on ice but am able to go after a lot more species on the soft. This is too hard, NO FAIR

1 - 20 of 28 Posts