Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley Ensign Memorial - Boating Access Site

We have a group of folks heading up from Columbus, Ohio the weekend of Sept 19th and 20th. Actually we will be heading up midweek Sept 16th. So we are looking for overnight accomodations for the 16th through and including the 19th.

6 people, 3 trucks, 3 bass boats. Looking for decent accomodation recommendations. Cabin preferably, hotel if not available. We are not looking for campsites.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is a link to the launch site in case you don't recognize it:

http://www.greatmich.com/boat_launch/harley_ensign_memorial_boat_launch.htm

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'd look at Harsten's Island. There's a bunch of cabins and houses up there with ramps and boat access. I know of two groups of guys who've stayed there already this year.

Don't worry about Harley, we all know it as it's the most popular launch on the north end of the lake along with Selfridge. Some people refer to it as "Clinton River." There's also "Crocker" launch which is south, just adjacent to Beacon Cove Marina, and is a great launch too. Smaller, and often dirty water, but great location on the lake if you want to head south.

Welcome to LSCN

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have never stayed anywhere in the area since I live here but I have read a few of these posts in the past. Just to clarify what essoxfly is refering to I believe it is "Harsen's Island". However, I am not sure about cabin rentals there. I think most guys that end up coming in from out of state stay in the hotels located at 13 mile road and I-94 area. A quick jump on i-94 will have you to Harley Ensign in about 15 minutes or so.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm not sure if you are pinned to the Harley launch - as mentioned, the accomodations would be based on where you plan on fishing (and of course the least hassle in getting to/from the launch). There are several launch ramps along the west side of the lake, from 9 Mile Road in St. Clair Shores all the way up to Algonac - and of course as Esox said if you were to stay on Harsen's Island that would be a different deal altogether. I'm not aware of cabin-type rentals near Harley, there may be some houses/cottages for rent north of New Baltimore near the lake besides Harsen's. There's a fair number of hotels in Roseville/Clinton Township right off I-94 as Eric stated (like Baymont, Motel 6 or Super 8 I think) that would be pretty close to the Crocker launch (near 16 Mile/Metropolitan Pkwy and Jefferson) as well as Metro Beach MetroPark and not far from Harley. There's a nice Best Western Concorde Inn off M-59 and Gratiot, which is only a mile or two from the ramp by Selfridge ANG base. Lots of options.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The best western on gratiot is nice and you can pretty much be anywhere from fair haven to st clair shores in a half hour from there, but I dont think there are any cabins for rent in that general area, good luck and have a great trip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try the red roof inn, or the eastin hotel located both in roseville, on little mack and masonic ave.The red roof is where a lot of guys with bass boats stay. Or google a search for places to stay in roseville. there are a lot of options. No cabins around that i know of.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Aug 19 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The best western on gratiot is nice and you can pretty much be anywhere from fair haven to st clair shores in a half hour from there, but I dont think there are any cabins for rent in that general area, good luck and have a great trip.

I agree with this!

The 13 and Mack area has had 3 carjackings in the past month.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Aug 20 2009, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Aug 19 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The best western on gratiot is nice and you can pretty much be anywhere from fair haven to st clair shores in a half hour from there, but I dont think there are any cabins for rent in that general area, good luck and have a great trip.

I agree with this!

That's a great point Mini - unfortunately that are is a bit scary these days... there are several other hotel options on the M-59 corridor if that Best Western is too pricey or unavailable that are just a few miles further from the lake. There'a a Towne Place Suites or something like that in Sterling Heights at Lakeside Mall, and there are a bunch near the M-53 & M-59 interchange like another Baymont and a few others. That area has a TON of restaurants, shops, Gander Mountain, etc. as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Aug 20 2009, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Aug 19 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The best western on gratiot is nice and you can pretty much be anywhere from fair haven to st clair shores in a half hour from there, but I dont think there are any cabins for rent in that general area, good luck and have a great trip.

I agree with this!

WOW I didnt know that. Good reason to have a ccw.

1,036 Posts
I looked long and hard at renting cabins on Harsens Island. Most are just too expensive and not really fisherman friendly. I was really surprised at some of the renter's reactions when I told them I was interested in renting a house for a fishing trip. I think the homes for rent out there are more geared towrd "family vacations". Besides, depending on where you stay on Harsens, it could be a long boat ride to the main lake.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If everyone in your group chips in $1000 you can buy a house.

Sorry but you will find that the US side of St Clair has no accommodations aside from hotels. No campgrounds, no state parks.

Harsens Island sounds like your only option for a cabin and it is way out of your way. Have a good trip - love to see my fellow Buckeyes come up and have fun, just like when they have come up to Ann Arbor in November the past 6 years.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
This thread reminds me of a topic that came up a couple of months ago. This lake needs some ort of "Angler's Inn" - a small resort type of fishing destination with decent accomodations and lake access. Look at all the people that travel here from out of state (or across the state) just to fish, and think of all the hassels they have to deal with when it comes to an unfamiliar major metropolitan area.

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
We have a 2 bedroom apt. that is currently rented (tenant) out for the rest of the year. We will be adding a 3rd bedroom this winter and converting it to be rented out weekly as a cabin. You will be able to store your trailer on site and will include a boat well thats right next to the apt.
We have a charter captain from Ind who has tenatively booked it for his clients for the month of July already.
Look forward to hearing from you next year!.....................Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.