Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re looking for a marina on Harsens Island. Does anyone have any comments/experience with South Channel Yacht Club? Deep enough water? Kid friendly? Kept clean? Security an issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We have been there two full seasons. We love it. Water is plenty deep. I had over 4 feet at the lowest point last summer, below the keel. Water is clean. People are great. The dockmasters live there all summer so someone is around all the time. About the only thing I can say that is negative is the potable water. There isnt any. Showers are fed with lake water. You have to bring your own drinking water. They got water lines put in last year but they stopped about a half mile before SCYC. I have heard that they may continue on this year, but I havent heard for sure. The only other down side is winter storage. SCYC doesnt offer it at all. We normally store for the winter at Tashmoo North so it isnt a problem for us. Prices are great and the slips are huge. I swim right off the back of my boat in the slip as do my grand kids and lots of the other people. Another benifit is insurance is cheaper as it is St Clair county versus Macomb. There is a couple different places for gas. Schnieders, Tashmoo South, and Walkers Landing are all near by. Gull Island is 10 minutes as is the Moot. So if those are your usual summer weekend hangouts, they are very close and you wont need as much gas. Quite a few of the others in the marina also hang out at Bassett Island. Its in Canadian waters and very nice and also very near.

Shirley is the dockmaster at SCYC. Her number is (810) 748-3535. I think they are back from Florida now. If not, they will be soon.

Randy

·
12,052 Posts
nice reply spider. figured you would pipe in.
There is also Sunset Harbor right next to the ferry on the north channel. They are affiated with Emerald City down by 9 mile. You can call Sue, a member on the board here, for prices.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spider! Any area within the marina more family oriented (we are not big party people) than others?

Hammer - thanks for the info. Sunset looks like a nice place and I think they even added a pool recently. I'll have to call and see if they put in potable water. We are generally not all that concerned about the amenities since we tend to be away from the slip more than we are in. Mainly looking for a clean, secure place to tie up during the week.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
No, not really. There are a couple of areas that have more grass area. That would be about it. Have to talk to Shirley and see which slips are open. There were several on my dock last year that were available. I am on the first dock past (towards the South Channel) the showers/bathrooms. It is a very quiet dock. There are several island residents that keep thier boats there and they are there mainly during the week. There is a dock closer to the road that is a bit more of a party usually. But even then its never been noisey enough to bother us. The next dock over from us has a great group of people. We have a get together with them a few times a year. The marina rule for quiet is 11PM I think. Shirley will come holler if your being too loud too. There is another couple on our dock that brings thier kids now and then. We bring the grand kids now and then too. There are other children around on other docks as well. Your best bet is to talk with Shirley and see whats open first, then see who is at those docks and what suits you and your boat. I am sure you would be able to move if you decided you liked a different slip later as long as there is one open somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
What about Algonac Harbour Club?

It's not on Harsen's but very family friendly. They have pools, resturant, potable water etc. Nice place to hang!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts