1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Explain???

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was at a friends house (where I go all the time) and got a parking ticket for being parked on the street between 3-5am. The whole street is loaded with cars, so I belive this to be selective prosecution. My intention is to have an attorney appointed- but I'm not sure that can be done for civil infractions. I would just like to see if anybody has any experience defending a parking ticket.

·
Registered
921 Posts
QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 20 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was at a friends house (where I go all the time) and got a parking ticket for being parked on the street between 3-5am. The whole street is loaded with cars, so I belive this to be selective prosecution. My intention is to have an attorney appointed- but I'm not sure that can be done for civil infractions. I would just like to see if anybody has any experience defending a parking ticket.

don't you just call the poo and let them know you'll be parking in the street overnight? maybe the other car owners did.

lawyers usually give free consultations, but for $20 not sure it's worth even trying.
If you try to get a court hearing on it, the judge may throw it out but charge you $50 in court costs.

tg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The court costs is a concern of mine. If I get a lawyer, it's gonna have to be appointed, not retained. I'm not gonna spend any money on this.

I doubt the other owners of cars are calling the police. The PD would have to have a seperate department to handle that many of phone calls.
There are numerous cars on this street- it is a mile long.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I hate to be so blatantly negative...but it's a no win situation.
I wouldn't even try to fight it.

However, if the principal of the thing is worth $$$$ to you...go ahead and try....
but you'll never get out of there without spending or being fined $$$$.

(sorry to say)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Seems to me that this is an open and shut case. If it was posted " no parking" and you chose to park there anyhow, you are in the wrong, and the ticket was justified. My kids pull this crap all the time. They get a ticket, and it is always " The stupid cop". You broke the law, you got caught, be a man and pay the ticket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are lots of people who park on the streets because they have a permit to do so. You won't win. Pay the $20 and be done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I live in the shores, PAY THE TICKET.

They on give parking tickets if someone

calls and complains about a lot of cars on

the street. I had someone(bastard neighbors)

call on me.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
You're likely not going to find representation (court appointed or not) thats going to help you contest a $20 parking ticket.

It sucks, you feel targeted, but its only $20. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You first will have to go to court to plead not guilty, then return for a pre trial, where you discuss the charges and evidence with the prosecutor, at this point you can ask for legal representation, but just because its a court appointed attorney does not mean you do not have any obligation not to pay them, then back to court.....you really have 3+ days to try to fight ticket....that appears by your own admission that your guilty (even the admission on this web site is admissible evidence.)
Just bring pennies to the clerks desk to pay the find.....that or empty beer cans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PAY THE FINE AND BE DONE WITH IT.

ITS A NO WIN SITUATION.

THE TICKET IS A CIVIL INFRACTION AND NOT A CRIMINAL MATTER.

YOU WILL ONLY BE PROVIDED A COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY IF IT IS A CRIMINAL MATTER.

SORRY

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jun 21 2009, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hate to be so blatantly negative...but it's a no win situation.
I wouldn't even try to fight it.

However, if the principal of the thing is worth $$$$ to you...go ahead and try....
but you'll never get out of there without spending or being fined $$$$.

(sorry to say)

Ditto it's been a law since I've been here 1991 good luck you won't win and don't get caught blocking the sidewalk either

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are right.

I've been parking in this spot since 97, on the weekends. I've looked on the city website and I don't see anything about a permit, as I would gladly purchase one.

It was the neighbors who called the cops.

It looks like I'm just gonna pay this one, but I hope I can get a permit so I don't get more.

I've had the "blocking" ticket already, more than once, more than twice......

Gotta find out about this permit........

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You guys are right.

I've been parking in this spot since 97, on the weekends. I've looked on the city website and I don't see anything about a permit, as I would gladly purchase one.

It looks like I'm just gonna pay this one, but I hope I can get a permit so I don't get more.

From what I understand and my son has looked into this, they will send a traffic person? to your house and verify how many cars will fit in the driveway and not give you a permit if the homeowner does not exceed this..but good luck, it's worth a shot...

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
As a kid I can remember having to get a parking permit, but like I said that was when I was a kid and I don't know what has changed since then.. I can see that the parking on the street from 3 till 5 has not changed by you getting a ticket. I remember going down to the police station when I got my first car to get the permit.. That was back in 1968 though.. LOL ageing myself again. If it were me I would pay the ticket and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
i just got popped for the 3-5 ticket last night in front of my own house

happy fathers day!!!!

what is the intent behind these no parking 3-5 laws??? anyone have any idea???

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jun 22 2009, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You guys are right.

From what I understand and my son has looked into this, they will send a traffic person? to your house and verify how many cars will fit in the driveway and not give you a permit if the homeowner does not exceed this..but good luck, it's worth a shot...

Correct. Permits are issued to resident homeowners once it is proven you need one. Normally it's a larger family with many cars or someone with a boat or rv kept at home.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Are there signs posted? If not & you do not live there or in that city, you may be able to beat it.

I got a parking ticket in Marysville. I was parked overnight in front of my daughters house. I called the police dept & asked what the ticket was for, they said there is no parking on the streets something like 12 to 5 in the winter months for snow removal. I told them it wasn't posted, I do not live there, I was not aware of the law, & it wasn't snowing. They told me it was posted on the signs at the city limits. I went to the city limits, nothing on the sign, I took a picture of the sign & went to court. The police officer had to show, he & the judge were kinda dicky about the whole thing. The judge said my daughter should have known the laws, I told them she had just moved there that month, & I asked him how they advised their new residents of city laws. The judge found me guilty but waived the fine.

I know it was kind of a waste of time to pursue it, but it was the "principle" of it for me too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Something I forgot to mention .....If your just staying the night

you can go to the police station (anytime that evening)

and request and over night pass. My sister does it all the time

she lives in georgia and does it when she visits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts