Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of contacts and glasses <_<

Pain in the arse! I mean glasses don't need to explain.

Contacts...you go out meet some peeps, have a few come how, fall asleep. WAKE UP IN THE MORNING WITH FOGGY EYES

Pros and cons. Long term effects...etc.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTEHas anyone had..., Lasik Surgery?

Yes, I believe thousands of people have.

I'd like to, but it's not covered on my optical. <_<

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 1 2003, 10:51 PM)QUOTEHas anyone had..., Lasik Surgery?

Yes, I believe thousands of people have.

I'd like to, but it's not covered on my optical.

I heard you can get it done for $400 per eye.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 1 2003, 10:52 PM)I heard you can get it done for $400 per eye.
Where, in Canada?

That'd be like $50 per eye American!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 1 2003, 10:53 PM)QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 1 2003, 10:52 PM) I heard you can get it done for $400 per eye.
Where, in Canada?

That'd be like $50 per eye American!

Actually their exchange rate has come down I think it is at 1.25
now

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
A friend of mine had it done about 3 years ago in Canada and still says it the best move he has made. Every thing is still sharp and clear. He said it was awsome the first morning after. He woke up and was reaching for his glasses out of habbit then realized /remembered he didn't need them.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 1 2003, 10:55 PM)Actually their exchange rate has come down I think it is at 1.25
now

Uh oh.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Aug 1 2003, 10:55 PM)A friend of mine had it done about 3 years ago in Canada and still says it the best move he has made. Every thing is still sharp and clear. He said it was awsome the first morning after. He woke up and was reaching for his glasses out of habbit then realized /remembered he didn't need them.
Did they tell him he WILL need glasses when older for reading or have they corrected that yet????

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I know at one time they could not correct a current or prevent a later need for reading glasses. I don't think having it done ment that you will need reading glasses later in life.

I have also recently heard radio adds on some new radio frequency procedure that is suposed to correct the need for reading glasses and you can have it done even after Lasik. Sounds too new for me.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
As i rub my lenses in my eyes... i wish i could afford it!

Everyone i have talked to that has had the procedure, is happy with the resluts. Some peole need more than a couple procedures for it to take.

Just keep investigating and hopefully you will find someone that can refer a doctor.

Man this is hard to type. i have a very frisky cat on my lap grabbing at my fingers as i type

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Dookie @ Aug 1 2003, 11:34 PM)Man this is hard to type. i have a very frisky cat on my lap grabbing at my fingers as i type

That's funny...I kinda miss our cats. We were watcing old tapes of our daughter when she was 2 and the cats were there.

I'm kinda krindging on the cost too, but I'm thinking
$100 per year for glasses.
$180 for contacts per year
$90 for solutions/wetting drops
What ever for exams etc...

That's almost one eye right there...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 1 2003, 10:44 PM)QUOTE(Dookie @ Aug 1 2003, 11:34 PM)

Man this is hard to type. i have a very frisky cat on my lap grabbing at my fingers as i type

That's funny...I kinda miss our cats. We were watcing old tapes of our daughter when she was 2 and the cats were there.

I'm kinda krindging on the cost too, but I'm thinking
$100 per year for glasses.
$180 for contacts per year
$90 for solutions/wetting drops
What ever for exams etc...

That's almost one eye right there...
Daily disposable lasts 1-2 weeks Accuvue (sp) was sued for selling the same product, daily and weekly, at different prices.

I have been using daily disposables (as weekly) for a couple years and it's so much more comfortable + no solution to buy. Rewetting drops after boating maybe.

If in the mean time you want something more comfortable, I suggest DD's

My eyes are bothering me now because I am getting over pink eye. They are still a hassle but $$ is the biggest factor. I can afford a little bit here and there. I'm told by friends that the eye surgery cost an easy $1500 to start. It's been a while since I have checked into it.

ps. Try ferrets and cats competing for my lap space, it's a little hiss-fest! (in a fun way, no big battles here)

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 1 2003, 11:44 PM)...I kinda miss our cats. We were watcing old tapes of our daughter when she was 2 and the cats were there.
You can come see ours.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I had it done going on three years ago now...

Not sure I would do it again; my eyes weren't bad to begin with, but my cool retro glasses had just gotten trampled and I thought that good enough excuse. Took 6 months to get fully healed and never did achieve 20/20... some things never cleared up (license plate numbers, etc...) and now they are to a point where I need a repeat surgery or glasses bc even the computer screen is blurry. But I don't want to go back for the surgery again bc how many times can you do something to your eyes? Won't scar tissue build up or a different risk come out of it?

But, I know others who had horrible coke bottle classes that still say it's a miracle!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i had it done like 5 yers ago my eyes were really bad though coke bottle glasses , iam not 20 20 and they cant guarntee that you will be but its still beter than before , i need glasses to read close up though , and like pauligan said at night lic plates are little blurry , my wife alsohad it done and hers arent 20 20 either we both went to henry ford , was reading they came out with something new a dr in birming ham does it thats supposed to be better i saved article i just have to look for it when i find it il send it to you . i was told when you get older though you still may have to wear glasses for reading , guesss just something you have to considder if its worth it or not depending on how bad your eyes are , i dont regrett it though nice waking up and being able to see even if iam not quite 20 20

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Local Baby Boomers Have Eyes On Nonlaser Procedure
Results Exceed FDA Guidelines
Posted: 5:41 p.m. EST January 23, 2003
Updated: 6:15 p.m. EST January 23, 2003
Metro Detroit residents who struggle to read a newspaper, menu or computer screen now have a new option in vision correction, Local 4's Lila Lazarus reported.

CK PROCEDURE

Answers To CK Questions

Conductive keratoplasty is the latest refractive surgical procedure to be approved by the Federal Drug Administration.
CK utilizes the controlled release of radio waves to reshape the cornea, without cutting or removing any tissue, according to doctors.
The procedure reportedly takes less than three minutes and is done in a doctor's office using eye drop anesthesia.
Dr. Steven Shanbom performs the procedure in his Berkely, Mich., office and is among the first 250 physicians in the nation to offer it, Local 4 reported.
The procedure is specifically designed for people over 40 who develop reading problems as a result of aging, Shanbom said.
Studies show that CK procedure has provided a restoration to normal vision in 93 percent of patients.
The results exceed the FDA guideline of 85 percent restoration to normal vision for refractive surgical procedures.
Copyright 2003 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I also had it done about 3 years ago. I went over to Canada (Dr Tafore). I only have minor blurred vision at night, But they told me that before the procedure. Not a big deal. The only thing I regret is that its a lot cheaper now than it used to be.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I had it done just about a year ago. I did a year's worth of research. I wish I had it done earlier, however technology has made the procedure infinetely better in the past 36 months.

I have NEVER regretted it, and would have paid triple to have it done. I would do it again today, if I had to get it done every year I would.

I have 20/15 vision, from 20/100! (I did not even know they had 20/100)

I met with probably 10 doc's in US and Canada. I paid top dollar, but after all it is your eyes, and clipping coupons out of a newspaper for someone to melt your eye with a laser seemed a little bit wierd. I went to Dr. Mertz and the Metropolitan Eye Center. It was $3,400.00. He was the only one who would offer me a lifetime guarantee with a dual astigmatism. I love my new eyes, and cannot reccomend it enough!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 2 2003, 07:44 AM)QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 1 2003, 11:44 PM) ...I kinda miss our cats. We were watcing old tapes of our daughter when she was 2 and the cats were there.
You can come see ours.
NO WAY! THe reason we had to get rid of them is allergies...I will break out and have sneezing fits!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts