Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Our long time 27" tube TV went out, I ve spent time doing some research on new flat screens.....
Wish it was as easy as a fishing...lol . To many options & features causing delema.

The question I have is should I buy an LCD or Plasma? Below is a link for the comparison chart and my cost between the two "out the door" is only $66.00

thanks
RK

comparison info here

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
We are not huge television watchers, but ended up purchasing a 42 LCD and LOVE it..Love it even more when watching college bal games all day saturday!.after up grading to hd value from my cable provider! We have an LCD on the boat too, and it works great. I have no experience with Plasmas.

Please keep in mind, the last Television I purchased was in 1998 when the 32"/500lb Sony Trinitron was the TV to have! I still have that and it works great, just my back does not after moving it!

The new television was 2 hunfred dollars cheaper than the Sony in 1998-

The only reason for purchasing a new TV- I was in the middle of laying floors in the living room and did not want to move that heavy SOB another time that weekend!

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
I have experience with both. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and a 37" Sylvania LCD. The Plasma is in the living room, and the LCD is in our bedroom.

My best advice: If you do end up getting an LCD, make sure its in a room where you wont be too close to it, otherwise you will see the grainy-ness of the picture. Otherwise, at a distance, it looks great. The Plasma looks good close and far away.

The plasma has a clear crisp picture, that the LCD does not.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Get a 720p LCD with at least 120hz that fits your budget. The more HDMI connectivity the better off you will be in the long run.

You dont need 1080p unless you have BluRay or like video games or you have sattelite that broadcasts in 1080p. Most providers are still broadcasting in 720p (1080i).

Also keep in mind that all LCD's are not the same. Samsung manufactures most LCD's on the market. They also have the new LED tv's MUCH slimmer. With all that said, I have a SONY XBR and I love it. I based my descision on my history with Sony XBR tvs. I have only purchased 3 in the past 25 years. All of them are still running today.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat @ Nov 19 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have experience with both. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and a 37" Sylvania LCD. The Plasma is in the living room, and the LCD is in our bedroom.

My best advice: If you do end up getting an LCD, make sure its in a room where you wont be too close to it, otherwise you will see the grainy-ness of the picture. Otherwise, at a distance, it looks great. The Plasma looks good close and far away.

Good advice and also consider that "most" plasmas need a darker enviroment than an LCD.

You dont have to go HUGE to get a great picture. I have a smaller living room so I opted for a 40"....and it you wall mount it (which I dont recommend) try to not mount it too high. You shouldbe looking at the middle of the TV while seated, most people dont want to mount their tv's to the wall that low.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I almost bought a 55 inch Samsung LED TV at Best Buy over the weekend.. The only thing that stopped me from doing it was I would of had to upgrade all of my other stuff that plugs into my TV because the new LED TV set had all HDMI hookups and only one componet hookup.. My DirectTV box would need to be upgraded to HD and my DVD player would need to be upgraded also.. I just couldn't justify replaceing everything at once.. But man that Samsung was nice.. It even has internet wifi built in.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Nov 19 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat @ Nov 19 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have experience with both. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and a 37" Sylvania LCD. The Plasma is in the living room, and the LCD is in our bedroom.

Good advice and also consider that "most" plasmas need a darker enviroment than an LCD.

You dont have to go HUGE to get a great picture. I have a smaller living room so I opted for a 40"....and it you wall mount it (which I dont recommend) try to not mount it too high. You shouldbe looking at the middle of the TV while seated, most people dont want to mount their tv's to the wall that low.

I have my 42 inch mounted above my fireplace and I love it.. There wasn't anywhere else in our family room to put it so up it went and when I do get my 55 incher it will replace the 42 on the wall. If I could find a 75 inch that I could afford it would also go on the wall. lol

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
We went to the Chicken Shack in Southfield on Norhtwestern for lunch yesterday. They had 3 flat screens (maybe 50 inch) as their menu over the counter.

A forth one was doing a slideshow advertising their different products.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would go with the LCD over Plasma. It is possible to get image burn in on the screen with plasma. This is more of a problem when you leave the TV on when there are school closings or weather alerts scrolling accross the bottom of the screen. Yes they have been getting better with resolving this but its still not 100%. So if you are one to fall asleep with the TV on then I would definately go with the LCD.

·
LSCN Sponsor since April 2010
91 Posts
QUOTE(RK4BASSIN @ Nov 19 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Nov 19 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Actually LED seems to be the up and coming TV.

Another selection....

The new LED tv's are actually still LCD tv's with LED's for the backlight. I did not realize this at first, but they look great, and use less energy, and the backlight is suppose to last longer than the regular LCD tv's. Samsung is kind of misleading people with there LED tv, the next technology that everybody is waiting for is OLED tv

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(jeff-t @ Nov 19 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(RK4BASSIN @ Nov 19 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Nov 19 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Actually LED seems to be the up and coming TV.

Another selection....

The new LED tv's are actually still LCD tv's with LED's for the backlight. I did not realize this at first, but they look great, and use less energy, and the backlight is suppose to last longer than the regular LCD tv's. Samsung is kind of misleading people with there LED tv, the next technology that everybody is waiting for is OLED tv

LOL misleading or not, the picture quality sure beat the he** out of the 42 inch LCD that I currently have.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
QUOTE(ColPepper @ Nov 19 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I personally would either buy the LCD or the newer LED.. I like the plasma but there have been too many issues with them for me to take a chance on them.

this would be one of those things you'd get the "Bestbuy" warranty on it...if anything goes wrong, bring it back and they give you a new one!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.