Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Helicopter

2K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  tcg 
#1 ·
Did anybody else see that helo that came accross the bay yesterday? He was about 10-15 ft off the deck and headed tword Selfridge. He hung by Selfridge for a couple of mins then popped up and went accross the base. It was a small blue and white helo, he crossed in front of me about 50 yards. Its bad enough that we have to watch out for other boaters now we have to watch the skys to.

#6 ·
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Aug 3 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There was an a$$ clown in a small plane (non float plane) flying the deck in the moot a few weekends ago.....JUST STUPID! I couldnt see his MC's to put him in the hull of shame!!!

yeah seen that gut when we were out with friends in the 4th of july weekend. flew less then ten or twenty feet off the deck, cocky, but yeah i'm thinking not to smart with all the boat traffic moving or not. he was lower then th tops of the small boats because I had to stand on top of my buddys cabin cruiser and still lost site of him.

#8 ·
I have no accounting of any low flybys...but I did see it again ydy whilst driving home from work.
It appeared to be travelling the same path....right along the coast line.
I haven't read up on it...(no time)....
so...pardon me for asking...
but is this a good thing ??
it seems rather ominous at the moment ???

#9 ·
to be more precise..of course I don't mean the low flyovers that have been reported here...

I mean...in general....should we feel safer or....somewhat intruded upon ???

At the moment...it seems like overkill to me...but then again....
I don't know the whole story (yet)

#13 ·
If the plane looked like this (referring to paint jobs versus model type)

Sky Aircraft Vehicle Monoplane Water

Cessna C-172

or this:

Wheel Vehicle Tire Monoplane Aircraft

Cessna C-210

again, it is your CBP hard at work.

From their website: "CBP Air and Marine's [insert aircraft name here] surveillance aircraft, which fly with a crew of two (pilot and observer), are particularly effective platforms for law enforcement operations. They provide better range and endurance than helicopters and blend more effectively with local traffic to mask the presence of continuous air surveillance."

Scott.

Attachments

#14 ·
FYI : Before people start crucifying the pilots of the helicopter or of the airplane in question for flying "too low", I thought it would be a good idea to explain the rules for such operations.
IF they were flying over the water, which it sounds like they were, they are perfectly legal to do so inches above the water so long as they maintain a 500ft. separation from any man-made object.
The separation rules are even less restrictive if the the aircraft is engaged in a commercial or a military operation that requires such a maneuver. There are also more rules for flying over sparsely and heavily populated areas as well as subjective
rules that the FAA could enforce that may apply to this situation, but that is the job of the FAA. I would guess that the pilots were just having a little fun. You get a real
sense of speed when you are flying low. Plus it is a lot of fun.

#17 ·
QUOTE(Red Tail @ Aug 5 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>FYI : Before people start crucifying the pilots of the helicopter or of the airplane in question for flying "too low", I thought it would be a good idea to explain the rules for such operations.
IF they were flying over the water, which it sounds like they were, they are perfectly legal to do so inches above the water so long as they maintain a 500ft. separation from any man-made object.
The separation rules are even less restrictive if the the aircraft is engaged in a commercial or a military operation that requires such a maneuver. There are also more rules for flying over sparsely and heavily populated areas as well as subjective
rules that the FAA could enforce that may apply to this situation, but that is the job of the FAA. I would guess that the pilots were just having a little fun. You get a real
So how low do you get that 747 you drive?

#18 ·
the low flyer was a very small one seater (maybe two). I doubt the plane was greater than 500 feet from any man-made object (ie boats). I've seen it out there before. cant remeber the colors or markings, wanna say light brown or tan. bubble canopy, looks like a mini wwII fighter plane, wings midship on bottom of the fuselage. not saying he was illegal, but not sure ifthe manuver was too smart, fly bridge boats in the moot are supposed to be used as air race obstacles.

#19 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 5 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Red Tail @ Aug 5 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>FYI : Before people start crucifying the pilots of the helicopter or of the airplane in question for flying "too low", I thought it would be a good idea to explain the rules for such operations.

You drive a car...you pilot a plane

#20 ·
QUOTE(Soo Sassy @ Aug 5 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 5 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Red Tail @ Aug 5 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>FYI : Before people start crucifying the pilots of the helicopter or of the airplane in question for flying "too low", I thought it would be a good idea to explain the rules for such operations.

You park a plane, you park a car. Why can't you park a boat?

Besides, I think RedTail flies the plane.

#21 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Soo Sassy @ Aug 5 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 5 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So how low do you get that 747 you drive?

You park a plane, you park a car. Why can't you park a boat?

Besides, I think RedTail flies the plane.

Because you can't, you're docking it silly...lol

Flying, piloting...same diff

#22 ·
QUOTE(Red Tail @ Aug 5 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>FYI : Before people start crucifying the pilots of the helicopter or of the airplane in question for flying "too low", I thought it would be a good idea to explain the rules for such operations.

First of all you confuse people when you put too many if's and when's in the sentence.

Bottom line here is that if it is not a military or specially marked aircraft of "any" department, it is not allowed to operate 'LESS THAN 500 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND" or water! (AIM- Airmens Information Manual)

The aircraft has tail numbers called "N" numbers, all American aircraft have N numbers

Get the N number and call the FAA immediately

This may be an aircraft for some reason that wishes to fly below detectable radar surveillance and might be cause for alarm. The FAA in conjunction with Dept of Homeland Security (ICE) will respond accordingly. I doubt you will see it happen again.

Even news choppers must operate more than 500 ft above the ground or nearest obstacle. Military and certain branches of the US Gov can operate below but you will see it's aircraft clearly marked.

Dutch

LAARTCC

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wouldn't this apply (FAA Regs):

Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

a ) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

b ) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

c ) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

#24 ·
QUOTE(KMC @ Aug 5 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wouldn't this apply (FAA Regs):

Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

a ) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

b ) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

c ) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

#25 ·
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Aug 5 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Aug 3 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There was an a$$ clown in a small plane (non float plane) flying the deck in the moot a few weekends ago.....JUST STUPID! I couldnt see his MC's to put him in the hull of shame!!!

yeah seen that gut when we were out with friends in the 4th of july weekend. flew less then ten or twenty feet off the deck, cocky, but yeah i'm thinking not to smart with all the boat traffic moving or not. he was lower then th tops of the small boats because I had to stand on top of my buddys cabin cruiser and still lost site of him.

Yes that was him. He did two fly bys I believe between shore and the boats. He poipped right up over our bridge and scared me to death! I wasnt sure whether to jump or just kiss it good bye!

Then he was up and down buxxing boats in the bay itself!

#26 ·
KMC : Thanks for referencing the proper FAA regulation that points out what I tried to say in my previous post. I am glad you were able to find the regulation for my copy of the FAR/AIM is packed away somewhere. I guess I should have quoted the regulations so as to not confuse anyone with my poor grammer.

Stodge : Unfortunately they only let us play around and fly low and fast when we are in the simulator. Other than that we are trying to get that bird as high as we can to save fuel and extend the range. I could buzz the bay once in the 747, but then I would have to retire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.