Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well hello there folks... Me and my girlfriend been lurkers on this board for over a year and finally signed up for an account. Sorry it took too long. We both love fishing and we have a bayliner capri 1952. Neither one of us is very good at it tho. Lately We've been drifiting infront of metro and 400 with a simple crawler harness consisting of 2 hooks, couple of beads and a tea spoon size spoon that spins on the line as you drift. Following someones hint i attached a tiny split shot sinker about 4-5 feet away from the hooks. It was the first time i tried the split shot, and caugh my first walleye monday evening. Came out tuesday evening and caught a few perch, smallies and a blue gill (go figure?). We were drifiting in 12-14 feet of water, but kept on getting little stuff. We are gonna go out again tonight to try our luck... Any suggestions on proper tackle and good spots to try as well as first hand demonstrations would be highly appreciated... We'll be out a mile or so infornt of 400 condos or little towards the lower mile roads depending on what works. Either way, its a blue and white 19 ft bayliner, so feel free to say hi... Do any of you guys chat on VHF?> If so, what channel? I got the radio, just need to get a small antenna and hook it up.

I must say, everyone on this website kicks a$$ (edited). We hope to become a part of the community here.

WELCOME BEERMASTER, SINCE YOU ARE NEW I AM GIVING YOU THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. JUST KEEP IT CLEAN, PLENTY OF CHILDREN READ THIS SITE. THANK YOU.

JOHN "MINI" MANIACI

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had trouble finding the eyes in that area too. I hear they are still along the mile roads, but out deeper (14-17ft) Also, Ihear by the St. Clair Light and Buoy S. they are being picked. That's where I am heading next time I'm out. Good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am gonna try it over there too. Is it american or canadian waters? Do you happen to have GPS coords for either of these places, as i am not exactly familiar with the area just yet....

·
Registered
230 Posts
The St. Clair Light is on the edge of the shipping channel (U.S. side). It is basically straight out from the 9 mile tower. Buoy S is northwest of the St Clair Light, I believe straight out from 10 mile. I don't have the gps coordinates. In fact, I do not have my gps yet. I just bought my boat this past May. Checking into one though. I am sure someone else reading this can help with the waypoints. The St Clair Light is pretty easy to find. I've haven't actually looked for Buoy S yet. I'll try to find it next time. My father-in-law is out there right now. Says they are not having too much luck by the light. Good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply... I am actually tempted to throw the fishing gear in the boat, push it out of the driveway and go hit the light after work.... I am addicted to fishing now.......

·
Registered
230 Posts
I hear ya. Wish I wasn't so busy. I'd like to be out there every weekend. Probably won't get out until next weekend. Just leave some for me

·
Registered
230 Posts
I hear ya. Wish I wasn't so busy. I'd like to be out there every weekend. Probably won't get out until next weekend. Just leave some for me

·
Registered
47 Posts
i got the chart below (links) at gander moutain, also saw them at dick's sporting goods. it has alot of good spots marked to get you started and to learn where the places are you hear about; firecracker, dumping grounds, st. clair light, and alike. just about anywhere along the shipping channel in 14ft. to 18ft. of water will get you walleye now. yesterday after work, 8 in a couple hours and today 4, before the sky started looking nasty. crawler harness hammered gold blade. bounce the bottom... nothing to it. if i can do it, anyone can... believe me. there are plenty out there. you need to get a chart of the lake, or at least look at the one they have at this site... http://www.lakestclair.net/charts/lsc_full_chart.htm notice the american water runs to the other side of the shipping channel. the dumping grounds are on the canadian side of the channel, but in american water. and you probably don't know why it's called the dumping grounds??? lets see how many people think it has to do with dumping garbage. NOT!

http://www.fishinghotspots.com/fhsinet/maps.cfm
http://www.fishinghotspots.com/fhsinet/product.cfm

"L130 Lake St. Clair/St. Clair River (MI/ONT)

[G.P.S.]
Outstanding fishing opportunities for a diversity of species including smallmouth bass, muskie, walleye and yellow perch. Widely recognized as one of the nation's great smallmouth and muskie fisheries." that's the chart # and what it says about lake st. clair.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Millertime! I wrote you an email, also...
I bought a st clair chart at that bait shop on jefferson and 16 mile. It has fishing hotspots on it but doesn't really indicate any of these places that you guys keep on talking about.... I know where the shipping channel starts over by gull island. There is this little beach right by it, that the border splits in two. We go there sometimes. I wish someone had a set of GPS coordinates to give me so i knew i was in the right spot

Why is it called the dumping grounds anyways? I'd like toi come out there tonight. That would be super cool.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The lake bottom sediment was deposited there whn the shipping channel was created, or at least that is what I have been told.

Keep up the good work guys, you will find the fish and get to know your way around by doing what you are doing....getting out and fishing!

Mini

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a gps # for ya .... you have the LSC hot spot map right ? This will put you in the dumping grounds #25 on your map .... here is the #'s 42'23.000 82'51.000 if you look at your map you will see the # 's on the sides and top it's easy to do . Now just punch in the # on the GPS and hit GO TO and it will bring you right there . Today was my first time in LSC and I was at the grounds we had a GREAT TIME ... and got a hole lot of fish. EYES , Small mouth BASS , Pearch , rock bass and a sheep head ...... Good luck !!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Mac, thanks for the GPS coords. I got my Garmin Bluecharts last night and hooked it up to the GPS and loaded up all the waypoints, buoys etc etc. Your coordinates were purrrrrfect! Hopefully i can get out there... I gotta work at the dream cruise this weekend, we got this honor the first responders booth set up. So who knows if ill make it out this weekend, but i hope so.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's a bummer. I was hoping to see ya out there. I plan on going both days, but I'll settle for one. I am going to start at the dumping grounds & work my way up from there. Probably take by friend & his son. Would love for them to nail a few. We'll see

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, Ill post this in a seprate thread, but how about we all meet up tomorrow at the buoys 26-29? Marine forecast and regular forecasts look phenominal for tomorrow....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both bearings are toast? I got a machine shop by my house that will do the bearings (install and machine new ones into the wheelhub)for like 10 bucks usually... If you can pickup a new set in town somewhere theyll do it on the spot... Can;t be all THAT bad lol. If not, i can always use a partner since admiral is working late... Those bloody slave drivers at dick's sporting goods. They suck

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, all of them r bad. It's a tandom axle, so 8 sets. I have half of them. I have to stop by a trailer place for the rest. What kind of machine shop? I mean, do they do trailers? That seems real cheap. Is that including putting them in? Hell, it cost me about $10 to purchase each bearing set.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hasting Auto parts, corner of I75 and 9 milre road. Right on the corner. Machine shop in the back. 10 bucks or so, is for for machining and installing the new bearings in the wheelhubs., Of course doesn't include the cost of the bearing itself. I dont see why they wouldnt do a trailer wheel, not that different of a job. Just give them a call. They are in hazel park, mi. There is also a very good trailer accessory and parts place right on 8 mile also in hazel park. Might be a good source for bearings. just hit www.yellowpages.com and search for any business that has the word trailer in it in hazel park, mi

·
Registered
230 Posts
The hub does not need to be machined, just new race & bearings. I am picking up the rst after work, but if I don't have time I may have them do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts