Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I braved the world of traffic all by myself today.

Warmed up the bike a good 5-8 minutes...

was having issues with the choke not being able to go in all the way without stalling.

So, started on my quick journey with the choke at a point that it wouldn't stall

pushed it in as I was driving.

Stalled each time I stopped

pull out the choke is the only way to restart it.

stall when I put on the brakes with clutch in even with choke a little way out

next I stalled and the gears wouldn't go back down to first and neutral.

stuck on jefferson for 5 minutes trying to get it "unlocked"

so all in all~miserable trip and the choke never worked properly.

Is there something wrong with my bike?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
P, if you stall in gear and you are having trouble down shifting to neutral to restart, try rolling the bike forward and back a few inches with the clutch in wile trying to shift. Make sure you have your balance and good footing as you will have one foot on the peg while trying push with the other.

If it won't idle without the choke after a 5 to 8 min warm up something is not quiet right. It may be something as simple as the idle needing to be adjusted. If you can't get it to idle right tomorrow I would put the warrantee to good use.

As you are a novice rider, if ANYTHIING does not appear to be working correctly I recommend that you don't ride it until it's fixed or somebody can confirm that it is a normal condition If you do take it back to the dealer you might want to get one of the more experienced riders to ride it there for you.

It's a bummer that you are having trouble on one of the few nice days that we have had this spring. Good luck.

·
Registered
465 Posts
On the "gear" thing. Just rock the bike back/forth then click down w/the clutch out.

On the choke thing, you are probably choking it more than necessary. Just choke it for a minute at the most, before riding away.
You may have fouled up the plugs by choking it too much.

Here is what you do.....
1) choke on full & start the bike.
2) start letting the choke back out untill bike ALMOST stalls.
3) leave the choke there for a few moments, until idle stabilizes.
4) start backing the choke off some more, a little at a time until
it's off all together.

Basically, you want to get the choke off ASAP so the plugs dont foul.
I speak from experience. Fouled a set of plugs before putting a single mile on a bike I bought back in the winter of '95.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I agree with all the above advice. Especially getting that choke off as quickly as possible. I would also check your idle just in case.

Good luck and you missed bike night last night in royal oak even though you have a crusier.

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE(cotty @ Jun 4 2004, 07:23 AM)I agree with all the above advice. Especially getting that choke off as quickly as possible. I would also check your idle just in case.

Good luck and you missed bike night last night in royal oak even though you have a crusier.
I was there too!

Quite a turn out last night..........

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Speadfreak, Where were you located at?

Did you see the moped gang?

Yeah pauline don't feel bad because I had my first experience of running out of gas at 90mph and couldn't get to the fuel switch quick enough do to the rough road. Not a big problem just a big pain in the butt.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody!

That is when the gears seemed to magically pop back into play; upon frustrated rocking of the bike!

Soooo.... what do I do with the fouled plugs??? Are they guaranteed fouled after about a half hour of running with the choke out?

I also forgot to add, that it took about 5 minutes just to get the thing to start.... is that a sign as well?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hey P, just call Rustho, licensed professional engineer @ 313 873-9408, private line at work, he works at the school just down the street from me and ask his opinion. He has owned and operated a small motorcycle repair shop for over 20 years. Never a charge for friends. he just returned from the superbike competition at Mosport Park Race track.

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE(cotty @ Jun 4 2004, 07:32 AM)Speadfreak, Where were you located at?

Yeah pauline don't feel bad because I had my first experience of running out of gas at 90mph and couldn't get to the fuel switch quick enough do to the rough road. Not a big problem just a big pain in the butt.
I was standing right in front of Starbutts, with all the Ducati guys.
A few of them are friends of mine, but I dont hold it against them (Duc ownership)!

I DID see that moped gang! So THAT'S what happened to the Audio-Visual kids after high-school!

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 4 2004, 07:55 AM)Soooo.... what do I do with the fouled plugs??? Are they guaranteed fouled after about a half hour of running with the choke out?

I also forgot to add, that it took about 5 minutes just to get the thing to start.... is that a sign as well?
If it's still running fine, you're probably OK.

Just try to be more "stingy"(sp?) w/the choke & you'll be fine.

It's all part of the learning curve !

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Speed freak said it text book, B2B is also right on.....my .02

Also.... if you bought your bike used?.....then you should do the maintenance.....oil, plugs, check the tires by a "pro"
Most people don't toss any cash at a toy when it is being sold. It will make your purchase last and operate better.

Lets ride baby!~

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
P,
I have a Yamaha crotch rocket and a little Harley sportster lined up for next Wed. if you still want to do bike night in R.O. (I'll prob. take the yamaha, its bigger.....)
Let me know....

P.S., I hear they do a bike night in Pontiac on Thursdays.....hint, hint.......

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 4 2004, 07:55 AM)Thanks everybody!

That is when the gears seemed to magically pop back into play; upon frustrated rocking of the bike!

Soooo.... what do I do with the fouled plugs??? Are they guaranteed fouled after about a half hour of running with the choke out?

I can run by and change your plugs for you, or help you do it if you prefer.....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(speedfreak @ Jun 4 2004, 10:10 AM)QUOTE(cotty @ Jun 4 2004, 07:32 AM) Speadfreak, Where were you located at?

I was standing right in front of Starbutts, with all the Ducati guys.
A few of them are friends of mine, but I dont hold it against them (Duc ownership)!

I DID see that moped gang! So THAT'S what happened to the Audio-Visual kids after high-school!

We were just down the street in from of Mr. B's.

Everyone was cracking up about the moped gang. How did they ever get 10 people to buy those things.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bike is brand new... only 32 miles on her...

can that get clogged so soon???

ps, thanks so much no code!! I have somebody coming over tonight to have a look at it....

·
Registered
530 Posts
QUOTE(cotty @ Jun 4 2004, 07:23 AM)I agree with all the above advice. Especially getting that choke off as quickly as possible. I would also check your idle just in case.

I was out there last night. had a beer on the patio of Mr. b's. I was on a black krapana. I didn't see you although there was a lot of people. what were you riding? I usually go every week.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(conquest @ Jun 4 2004, 03:19 PM)QUOTE(cotty @ Jun 4 2004, 07:23 AM) I agree with all the above advice. Especially getting that choke off as quickly as possible. I would also check your idle just in case.

I was out there last night. had a beer on the patio of Mr. b's. I was on a black krapana. I didn't see you although there was a lot of people. what were you riding? I usually go every week.
I didn't see you either.

I was on the outside patio of the B all way at the end closer to the Starbutts.

I drive an all red cbr 600 but it was parked on the side street.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Ms. P.
When a bike is new they use a heavy break-in-oil and in make you foul out your first set of plugs, run thru a tank of gas. Then do your 500 mile inspection and ride on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts