Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I haven't checked the board in a while, but I am glad to see that conversation doesn't stop once the lake freezes over. Can't wait for the ice to thicken up a bit!

Meanwehile, I have a question for some of the fishing / boating guru's on here. I have a 97 'Liner 1952 CL. It's an okay boat, not too large, not to small -19 ft. It was obviously never meant for professional fishing, but I would like to at least *somewhat* outfit it with some fishing specific equipment. Most of all, I definately need a trolling motor. There is only so much you can catch while drifting. I was wondering if anyone knew of trolling motors/systems suitable for this boat. Gas or electric, how are they installed, the cost, where to buy them cheap, and what system would work the best for my boat. Any suggestion would be really helpful!

A gasoline powered system would seem very suitable, since it could double as an emergency motor, but for some reason i think those are too loud for trolling.

Tight lines boys,

Beermaster

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Go up to Bass Pro Shops and see what is available. You have many options....

Gas Kicker w/mount (say a 10hp), Trolling plate for I/O, or even an I/O mounted electric motor.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Beermaster: if you want to slow your drifts down on the windy day, look into what's called a DRIFT SOCK basspro has them not to expensive. They work like majic..

h2o<----says a good tool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put a 15hp 4 stroke on the back of my 26' boat this year. It will push me fast enough to troll Muskie 4 - 6 MPH and go slow enough 1 MPH or less to do walleye. Had a few days with no wind and a limit of walleyes so I don't think the noise is an issue. The Honda's are even quieter but I couldn't justify the extra money. I would think a 9.9hp or maybe even an 8hp 4Stroke would would fit your boat and needs well. I use drift socks whenever possible but they don't help on those 'no wind' days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Something that sits on my IO would definately be awesome. However, i think a small kicker would be even better, since it would double up as emergency power and help me get in shore if the main engine malfunctions. I think I'll just go with that. My only issue would be mounting it on the hull. Its fiber, has a swimming platform on the right of the ourdrive, so the kicker would have to go to the left of it I suppose. Is it mounted with some sort of a mounting kit/plate that just screws to the hull? Drift sox are great, I am sure, but going too fast has never really been a major issue. Toss the bucket overboard, and it acts like a drift sock. Need even lessdrift, toss a small anchor out. Worked like a charm this summer. Control and drifting with no wind was more of an issue than anything. Plus I am always afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the lake and having to call for help. I don't have the crazy money these people want to tow you back in. So I really want something that i can use to limp on in-shore. I will follow Dewman's advise and try and get me a 4 cycle 8hp or so kicker. 4 cycles don't require oil mixed with gas, correct? If so, thats perfect. I hated the whole mixing ordeal when we had our old boat.

Again, thanks for all replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts