Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season I fished the Michigan BFL circuit as a co-angler, and noticed that several of the boaters had a pretty neat culling system. They were rubber tubes of different colors and an alligator type clamp on the end. The type I have is the bobber style and you have to put the clip thru the fishes mouth...I'd like to know where to purchase the rubber tube type...I've checked the new BPS catalog and Cabela's...Didn't see them in either catalog...If anyone could help me out...I'd be most appreciative.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You know what??? I have purchased three different types and the best one I have used and have used it for three years is one i bought from D&R in Kalamazoo which now Cabelas has one like it. IT is colored rope with white,,,kinda like clothes pins. They do not pinch through the fishes lips, but hold tight enough to reach in the livewell and grab the rope to life a fish out. I think Cabelas charges like $24.

Dan

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I tried the ones commercially available with the small metal clip and kept finding them loose in the bottom of my livewell...1 or 2 at a time but definitely defeated the purpose of using colored cull markers.

I now use the Quik Culls with colored ropes and a large plastic clip that holds under the edge of the jaw bone. I've never had one come off and I can lift bass up to 3 pounds with them. Don't try lifting bass with the small metal ones (unless they've changed them since I tried them several years ago).

This is where I ordered mine (hopefully still good contacts):
PLASTI-CLIP CORPORATION
38 PERRY ROAD
MILFORD NH 03055-4308
800-882-CLIP
603-672-1166
FAX: 603-672-6637
QUIK-CULL

·
Registered
927 Posts
i have found that if you really get to know the fish, you dont need culling tags.

what i mean is, spend some time with your fish. get to know their likes and dislikes. find out what makes them tick. then assign them names like pete and debbie, maybe even dan or brian. its easier to remember a name when you have a face to put with it.

once you know your fish, you will remember who is who. when it time to throw eric the 2 lber back and put rob the 3.5 lber in, you will know what to do.

give it a shot.

madman himself

·
Registered
927 Posts
i forgot to mention, i name all my small bass ( 1 lb or less ) jeff cheetam. dont ask me why, but the name just kinda stuck

madman himself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MADMAN, THAT A PRETTY GOOD IDEA...BUT I'M USALLY TO BUSY LANDING MY BOATER PARTNER'S FISH TO GET THAT CLOSE TO MY FISH... I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA...TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.."JUST CATCH 4EA. 5LBS. AND LET EVERYONE SHOOT AT THE 20LBS..." WOULDN'T TO DOING ANY CULLING...

ALL KIDDING ASIDE, I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THE POSTINGS, AS JUST ORDERED THE "QUIK-CULL". THAT LOOKS LIKE THE WAY TO GO.

FLIPPIN

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dang, that must get confusing for you Brian...How do you keep track of all those Jeff Cheetam's?

I have the Quick Cull, and I must have got a bum batch, because all the plastic clips stretched out and ended up breaking. I don't know if they warped from being in my dry storage (from the heat?) or what...

·
Registered
666 Posts
You guys must be catching way to many fish if to need one of those systems.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
boatnfish, you keep reading this board and working at it, and some day you'll cull a bass too! Don't worry. Hang in there. It'll happen (or maybe not - I've seen the baits you throw).

jcheetam, I haven't had any problem at all with my Quik-Culls. That's the first I've heard. I'll have to check with the other guys I know who have them. That's an odd one. I like mine a lot.

As far as madman, that last wave must have knocked something loose. I take all responsibility for this... I'm so sorry!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I bought the "safety pin & bobber" style cull system last year. I used it ONE time. I couldn't believe how much they mangle the fishes mouths.

I purchased the "Quick Cull" system this winter when I seen it advertised on bassfan.com and they gave it a good review. I knew it was good product.....It's from NH

It's nice to see that some of you here are happy with it too.

jcheetam, are you trying to lift the fish with your quick-cull tags? Their literature plainly states that they are not desinged for that.

New clips are available from them. If you ask nicely they may send you some free ones.

East Coast

·
Registered
467 Posts
East Coast,I haven't lifted a single fish with the system. Like I said, I must have gotten a bum batch. I didn't have it more than a month (I think I bought it last June?) and it didn't last more than a couple months. Actually, three of the six (or is it seven?) clips broke, and I didn't use the system again.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I actually made mine from a plastic stringer (Sampo) and silicone tubing (for sunglass holders I found at Walkers Landing). The plastic seems to be easier on the fish and the silicone tubing floats......

The whole deal cost about 15 dollars to make, but it doesnt rust, is easier on the fish, and you CAN lift the fish using it. That makes it faster to cull....not that I have to worray about culling...lol

Mini

1 - 17 of 17 Posts