Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Alright we are heading out with some friends of ours this weekend, and being relatively new to the lake we are looking for something "NEW" to do. We usually hang out at mac n rays or the moot. Have done gull island, metro beach been up the river many times. Have never been south of the bridge in detroit tho, not really sure what there is to do south of there. Looking for somewhere cool to go. Maybe resturant or a cool anchoridge or a cool cruise. We are in a 28 ft cruiser so it has to be deep enough. Havent had much of a chance to do some exploring. Help me be creative and find something awesome to do. This site is great so much info from you guys. Esp. people that have grown up on the lake. Alo have not had a chance to meet anyone from the board so that would be nice also.

Maybe even somewhere cool to anchor and dinghy around in

Thanks for the input all.

taylor

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
A cruise to Port Huron could be fun. I am thinking about going up there this Saturday if the weather report changes. Right now it's going to be too chilly for swimming/wading anywhere.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
On the off chance you haven't checked these places out...

What about Brown's, Riverside, or Deckers?

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
We used to go to Wallaceburg all the time by boat. It's a nice leisurely ride and very scenic. Just take the Chenal Ecarte across from Big River Grille in Algonac. It's about a 10 mile ride. Several places to eat or have ice cream in town.

Matt

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the off chance you haven't checked these places out...

been to all 3

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 14 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We used to go to Wallaceburg all the time by boat. It's a nice leisurely ride and very scenic. Just take the Chenal Ecarte across from Big River Grille in Algonac. It's about a 10 mile ride. Several places to eat or have ice cream in town.

Matt

Where is this???

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 14 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We used to go to Wallaceburg all the time by boat. It's a nice leisurely ride and very scenic. Just take the Chenal Ecarte across from Big River Grille in Algonac. It's about a 10 mile ride. Several places to eat or have ice cream in town.

Matt

Where is this???

I should have said it's Canada. Follow that blue line to the circle. Used to be a Libby's glass factory there that my wife loved but I think it's gone now.

Matt

Ecoregion Map World Nature Natural environment

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 14 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 14 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We used to go to Wallaceburg all the time by boat. It's a nice leisurely ride and very scenic. Just take the Chenal Ecarte across from Big River Grille in Algonac. It's about a 10 mile ride. Several places to eat or have ice cream in town.

Matt

Where is this???

I should have said it's Canada. Follow that blue line to the circle. Used to be a Libby's glass factory there that my wife loved but I think it's gone now.

Matt

View attachment 63908

is it all no wake??? Is it plenty deep??? Do we need to check in with canada???

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is one possibility.

http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70074

A little nervous of the shallow water

That is exactly what I instinctively worry about too! BUT, if Convincor says it's deep, that's good enough for me.

If you feel like a longer cruise, you could try Portofino's in Wyandotte. http://www.portofinoontheriver.com/

Once you get about 6 miles south of the bridge, the River really is beautiful! There are channels all over the place, so a chart plotter is a must.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 14 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 14 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We used to go to Wallaceburg all the time by boat. It's a nice leisurely ride and very scenic. Just take the Chenal Ecarte across from Big River Grille in Algonac. It's about a 10 mile ride. Several places to eat or have ice cream in town.

Matt

Where is this???

Matt

View attachment 63908

is it all no wake??? Is it plenty deep??? Do we need to check in with canada???

It averages 15- 18 feet. It is posted no wake but there are spots you can get on plane occasionally. There is a swing bridge and a cable ferry along the way.

As for checking in if you dock you will need to do that. I'm not familiar with the procedure as we haven't gone in a few years.

Matt

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is one possibility.

That is exactly what I instinctively worry about too! BUT, if Convincor says it's deep, that's good enough for me.

If you feel like a longer cruise, you could try Portofino's in Wyandotte. http://www.portofinoontheriver.com/

Once you get about 6 miles south of the bridge, the River really is beautiful! There are channels all over the place, so a chart plotter is a must.

looks cool what else is south of there?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is one possibility.

looks cool what else is south of there?

Actually, the only other place I've actually gone ashore is at the Elba-Mar Yacht Club on Gross Ile. (you'll need to be a member of a partnered club to go there)

There are plenty of scenic possibilities. I always take people through the Livingstone Channel for one.

It's easy to spot the best places to anchor. Lot's of boats down there too!

If we happen to be out when you're there, it would be nice to meet. We're docked in Ecorse. If you like, feel free to PM for my cell number, etc. if/when you go.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you come up to Port Huron we have a couple things going on this weekend. There is a new event called boats, balloons and bbq. It is being put on by Acheson ventures and citizens first bank. Here's a link that tells what's happening each day. http://www.bluewaterbeat.org/waveforum/ind...hp?topic=3411.0. Then there is the 2nd annual Black River raft-off. This is basically just a party where people raft off at the sea wall behind the cfs bank, hang out, meet new people and have a good time. There's a dj and various prizes. It was pretty fun last year, about 30 boats. Here's a little link for that as well. http://www.bluewater.org/main/EventInfo.aspx?eventid=175 If you want to stay the night, River Street Marina is right there and can set you up. Ask for my buddy Jake.

Hope to see you up this way this weekend,
Jeramie

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Bugsy Seagull @ Jul 14 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the off chance you haven't checked these places out...

been to all 3

We like Tin Fish. It has a tropical feel and there food is really good.

Last time we went there we got horrible food and a pist off waitress. Had been there a couple of times before that and it was nice. Maybe i will give it another try soon.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
How about Peche Island? Ever been there? It's a great thing to do for a day. Walk the island and look at the sites from both sides of the island. Yes, you do have to check in with Canada. If you are used to it no problem.

A nice cruise with some nice scenery would be the Chenal Ecarte or the Bassett channel. As long as you don't throw anchor you don't have to call in. But the Bassett is so secluded I doubt you would have an issue with OPP.

For a couple "different" spots to anchor and enjoy the view and lake is anywhere in and around the Sni Bora. The most beautiful area on this lake I might add. Fisher Bay is now accessible. A nice cruise down the Sni is always a nice place to take people who don't get out there much. Then anchor down near the no wake zone.

One spot on the lake that is pretty cool and not too difficult to get to is at the mouth of the Baltimore Hy. Here is is a chart of the spot. Easy to get to from the North Channel markers. Usually you will get several boats in this spot just chillin' out. You have a nice view of the North Channel traffic and Anchor Bay.

Ecoregion Map Nature World Organism

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 15 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bugsy Seagull @ Jul 14 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 14 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 14 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the off chance you haven't checked these places out...

been to all 3

We like Tin Fish. It has a tropical feel and there food is really good.

Last time we went there we got horrible food and a pist off waitress. Had been there a couple of times before that and it was nice. Maybe i will give it another try soon.

We have never had a problem, but we always sit outside at the bar or one of the surrounding tables. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Now I would have to say the food at Tin Fish is head over heels better than Deckers! I have not been to Deckers in a while, but the food was so greasy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts