Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I am looking to get a cheap fishing boat to shoot around lake st. clair in. I came across this on ebay and have been in contact with the seller...Aside from the condition listed on the page it needs a new reverse linkage which apparently is a fairly cheap fix. I really don't know much about boats at all! Please give me your input. My buddy told me to stay away because he thinks the fiberglass is brittle and that it will break in half. LOL. I definatly don't want that to happen in the middle of the lake! So I'm stuck as to what to do. The reserver was set at 700. Not one single person bid on this (which made me think other people might know something I don't) They are asking $650 for it now. It SEEMS like a good deal; but again, I know NOTHING about boats...Please let me know your thoughts....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 25 2009, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey everybody,

I am looking to get a cheap fishing boat to shoot around lake st. clair in. I came across this on ebay and have been in contact with the seller...Aside from the condition listed on the page it needs a new reverse linkage which apparently is a fairly cheap fix. I really don't know much about boats at all! Please give me your input. My buddy told me to stay away because he thinks the fiberglass is brittle and that it will break in half. LOL. I definatly don't want that to happen in the middle of the lake! So I'm stuck as to what to do. The reserver was set at 700. Not one single person bid on this (which made me think other people might know something I don't) They are asking $650 for it now. It SEEMS like a good deal; but again, I know NOTHING about boats...Please let me know your thoughts....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
It is not a "good deal" it is priced about right. $250 for the boat, $200 for the motor and $150 for the motor makes $600. It's all together so $650 is about right. A couple of considerations. Are you good with a wrench? A boat/motor/trailer this age will require some work. The trailer looks a bit rough and the bearings would most likely need re-packed before you pull it out of the grass. You need to hear the motor run before going any further, preferable would be to do a sea trial. If there are any issues with the motor you could double what you paid for the boat in no time at all. I would plan to spend $100 up front in routine maintenance. The boat itself looks like maybe a Lone Star but hard to tell from pics. Early '70's I would guess. Good chance it doesn't leak but check for soft areas in the floor and deck. If soft walk away.

Needs a battery and reverse linkage so you are going to drop at least $100 up front. Does safety equipment come with the boat? Lifejackets, fire extinguishers and flares can cost you another $100 in the blink of an eye. There are boats for sale all over. Drive M29 for an hour you will probably see 20-30. There are "deals" out there. This boat might be OK but realize you could spend a few weeks and a few hundred bucks getting it ready for LSC. Just my opinion after many years of boating. If you do get the boat be sure and tuck a couple $100's in your wallet and keep them there for the inevitable moment when they will be needed. Best of luck and welcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks canaller. When checking for soft spots do I just walk on the boat and see if my foot dips in anywhere? Again, I'm a total novice at this. Also, without the boat having a battery I'm curious as to how they would start the engine....hmm, maybe I should E-mail them about that.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 25 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks canaller. When checking for soft spots do I just walk on the boat and see if my foot dips in anywhere? Again, I'm a total novice at this. Also, without the boat having a battery I'm curious as to how they would start the engine....hmm, maybe I should E-mail them about that.

The floor should feel firm, not spongy when you walk on it. Push down on the deck checking for spongy areas as well. The ad said they had the boat out twice this year, if so where is the battery. Definitely worth checking in to. A battery is $50 at least and you want to start the motor before any purchase. Good luck.

t

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 25 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks canaller. When checking for soft spots do I just walk on the boat and see if my foot dips in anywhere? Again, I'm a total novice at this. Also, without the boat having a battery I'm curious as to how they would start the engine....hmm, maybe I should E-mail them about that.

The floor should feel firm, not spongy when you walk on it. Push down on the deck checking for spongy areas as well. The ad said they had the boat out twice this year, if so where is the battery. Definitely worth checking in to. A battery is $50 at least and you want to start the motor before any purchase. Good luck.

t

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a 15' Starcraft with a 75 Johnson I am selling for 850. It is solid and runs well, but does need seats. I have it on craigslist if you are interested shoot me a pm. I am going on vacation on the boat from now till Tuesday or Wednesday, but could show it to you anytime after then. I will have my laptop and wireless air card so I will get your message if you are interested. Search Starcraft American on craigslist to find it.

·
Banned
212 Posts
#1 Mistake - NO boat is a CHEAP boat

Seriously, also check out Craigslist. There are plenty of boats out there.
DON'T fall in love with the 1st one you see, and overlook the issues you "think" you can fix.

I made that mistake once. ONCE.

Good luck, choose wisely. Take your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts