Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new sonar/gps...

I've looked at the new HD Lowrance units and know about the add on side by side imaging plug and play.

I'm tempted to go with Hummingbird because my Lowrance LCX19c blacked out on me for no reason. Lowrance's outsourced service department wont even work on them and just say they have no parts!!!

All that said, I'm only looking for unit choices that will primarily be used for largemouth and smallies.

I have been considering buying the LMS 332c or other used unit as I hear the HD's also have been riddled with problems. The basspro guy told me he sees lots of units coming back that have taken in/on water.

Hummingbird side by sides I'm told have giant cursor, and if you want to zoom all the way in to see a spot on spot type structure...say a tiny rock pile or stick up that you know is holding 1 fish etc. That you cant see your saved wpt as the cursor doesnt get small and covers the wpt.

Whats the most recent/best unit any of you have been using before the HD's? Do you know for a fact that Lowrance will still work on them?

Thanks for the help......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
The widespread problems with the HDS were in the 7's and some 5's. It's been rectified, but that's not to say that there still aren't defective units on store shelves.

I've got the HDS8, and now....now I love it, but I had a learning curve. I was originally running Hot Mapss Prem, and it didn't like them. Neither did my second HDS8, or the 8 down at West Marine. But what they do like are the Platinum Charts...not Hot Maps....the charts. Photo overlay, all of that. Now it runs like a champ. A bit slow sometimes, but runs like a champ. I can't belive the clarity over the LCX and the user-friendliness isn't bad once you get to know the system. I'm doing all kinds of cool stuff with this unit, and I'm almost hoping the 27C on my bow craps itself so I can put a 7 up there. HDS has some bugs to work out, but they're working on it. Structure Scan just came out and is hitting the field. So far, sounds like the shiz-nit.

As far as their customer service, they did hit a back up with the HDS because of all the units coming back; they didn't have units to replace them. Supposedly that was an issue with the 3M sealant, and 3M was paying for all repairs and it was slow.

Lowrance CS has been on the upswing as of late. They've got a great product, but were lax in backing it up. Word on the street is they're stepping up their efforts to keep us happy.

Don't have SS yet, but will be putting it on in the spring...can't wait.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a Humminbird 997 Side imaging unit and I really like it. They have a free download coming in January that will show the imaging not only 480' out to the side but directly under the boat. They have fantastic customer service and good luck!

http://www.humminbird.com/leading_innovati...de-imaging.aspx

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice Smallmouth Picture...

I think the Hummingbird/Lowrance is like the Chevy/Ford debate from years ago....

If you can get ahold of Linda Colt at Lowrance their Service is awesome....If it wasn't for her I would advise anglers to look at Hummingbird or Garmin....

I have two 28Cs and like them so far but I have had issues...It took me about a year to get 2 units to work properly..I went all last year with no issues.....

I will probably look hard at Hummingbird or Garmin when I get ready to buy new...We will have to see what develops with Lowrance and the new models....(And if Linda Colt remains the service POC there.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a HDS back in August and have had no probs, I been watching esoxfly posts on his dilemma with his, glad he finally has it figured out ! I do not have a card in mine, been using the HDS maps, I also bought my LSS last week and will get a HDS 7 before the spring, good luck whatever brand you choose

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this! If I were to purchase the HDS am I understanding you correctly....My lakemaster card, and/or my navionics would not work?

My concern is the mapping that comes with the unit may not have as detailed contours for my specific lakes/area etc.

It seems highly likely that because they are trying to cover the whole country, they probably arent as detailed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the difference between the charts and the regular cards? I've always used the cards so I dont know. Also, can you link/network an LMS with the HDS so you dont have to buy both in one season etc.

QUOTE(esoxfly @ Nov 26 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The widespread problems with the HDS were in the 7's and some 5's. It's been rectified, but that's not to say that there still aren't defective units on store shelves.

I've got the HDS8, and now....now I love it, but I had a learning curve. I was originally running Hot Mapss Prem, and it didn't like them. Neither did my second HDS8, or the 8 down at West Marine. But what they do like are the Platinum Charts...not Hot Maps....the charts. Photo overlay, all of that. Now it runs like a champ. A bit slow sometimes, but runs like a champ. I can't belive the clarity over the LCX and the user-friendliness isn't bad once you get to know the system. I'm doing all kinds of cool stuff with this unit, and I'm almost hoping the 27C on my bow craps itself so I can put a 7 up there. HDS has some bugs to work out, but they're working on it. Structure Scan just came out and is hitting the field. So far, sounds like the shiz-nit.

As far as their customer service, they did hit a back up with the HDS because of all the units coming back; they didn't have units to replace them. Supposedly that was an issue with the 3M sealant, and 3M was paying for all repairs and it was slow.

Lowrance CS has been on the upswing as of late. They've got a great product, but were lax in backing it up. Word on the street is they're stepping up their efforts to keep us happy.

Don't have SS yet, but will be putting it on in the spring...can't wait.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(PowerHawg @ Nov 30 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks to everyone who has posted on this! If I were to purchase the HDS am I understanding you correctly....My lakemaster card, and/or my navionics would not work?

My concern is the mapping that comes with the unit may not have as detailed contours for my specific lakes/area etc.

It seems highly likely that because they are trying to cover the whole country, they probably arent as detailed.

It all depends. If you're speaking of Insight, you'll need to check it out first hand. Just like any mapping platform, some are better on some bodies of water, and some are better on other bodies. I'm a Navionics guy, and Insight, while a decent map platform is mostly just a "gee-whiz" cool looking gimmick. It's got cool photo 3D overlay, but once you zoom down to like a 2 mile scale, it drops the 3D and reverts back to a basic chart layout. Insight didn't impress me on LSC, but I'm sure it looks great on other. It just depends on the body of water which is better.

I don't think Lakemaster will work, but I could be wrong. As far as Navionics, you'll have to experiment. My Hot Maps Premium did not work. It'd load, but as soon as you zoomed, it drop the chip and rever to basemap. It was terrible and I went through two units to get it figured out. And the answer was to try the Platinum Charts, which are 100% better. And that brings use to your next question....

QUOTE(PowerHawg @ Nov 30 2009, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whats the difference between the charts and the regular cards? I've always used the cards so I dont know.

I'm not sure the exact answer, but the Navionics Hot Maps are the same maps you can buy in a paper format in the Fishing Hot Spots series....at least that's my understanding. The Premium runs I think $100 or $150 and covers either North, South, East or West. We're in "N" chip. The Platinum charts are far and aways more indepth. It takes two chips to cover just the Easter Great Lakes. I have Eastern and Western Great Lakes, for a total of four chips. I only have the Great Lakes and attached water. I don't have inland lakes on my chips. But what I do have is photo overlay, bathometric bottom contours, photos of ports and rivers and just too much information to use! These things show bars that are there, but aren't on the Hot Maps, and their accuracy is amazing. They run $400 for the set (two chips) So depending on which unit you get, it will dictate which mapping platform you use. You may be better off running Insight and not mess with the Premium, unless you don't mind dropping the coin on the Platinum.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
You've seen them Mini. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me- where do they get all the extra info on the Platinum charts? There's info on them not on my NOAA charts, and especially more than my Hot Maps chips. That bar in front of Metro Point is on the charts, but not on the Hot Maps.

And where does the bottom shading come from? Is it just extrapolated from the soundings on the chart, or has there actually been a survey of some sort to lay them out?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Navionics uses multiple sources for mapping data. NOAA charts, Army Corps of Engineers soundings, sattelite soundings, data collection boats, etc.

The most data that can be found on the water is usually found in a navionics chart. There are many levels of charts and for different bodies of water too.....

I have been with them since 1997 when I did beta testing of the Great Lakes (Erie and St Clair) stuff. I can tell you that once word got out to a few pro's what they were working on, it didnt take long for ALL of them to get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.