Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had to remove a treble hook for the kid. He didnt like me too much for a while, but he changed his mind after the ice took over.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Ouch!

Seems like it rite-of-passage for fishermen and women.
I still haven't forgot the one that ended up embedded in the back of my left ear.
I forgot Dad's rule about walking around in the boat without saying so while he was casting, lucky the ear is still attached.

Rip, hope you're feeling better.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I got one in the back of the ear before also but it was my own hook. When I was about 7 I was just learning how to fly fish and I still don't know how it happened but boy did it hurt. And the part that really stunk was waiting for my dad to come up the river to get to me to take it out. He told me next time I wanted my ear pierced that ma would do it. LOL Hope you are feeling better rip.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i never thought to get my ear pierced that way but my brother sunk a nice repala in chin whin i was about 35 and he was 34 bigest think he ever cought 6'-1" 250lbs
hope the finger is doing better Rip

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
lol, all is well Dr. MINI...

Tried for a half hour to get it out on the water. Finally relized that i couldnt get it out, took a quick pic then picked up the rod. Ended up catching 7 or so smallies and a good 40" muskie with that hook still in my middle finger. Mini did a lil precedure at the ramp and it poped out. Hurt going in, hurt twice as bad coming out. Thank you Doc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I know the feeling... got a treble buried like that this spring coho fishing on Lake MI. First fish of the day, netted him tossed the fish and the net into the boat and reached in to remove the rapala from his mouth. As soon as I did he started rolling, had my finger on a treble and the fish on the other treble. All I could do was practically lay on him to keep him from getting it any deeper. Got the fish removed from one ond of the rapala and then had to have my buddy use the fishing line trick and yank it out. After 3 yanks, it came free. I agree that it hurts as bad coming out as going in. My finger throbbed for about 4 days after.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The best way is to push it through and cut the barb off. Then back it out the way it went in. There are times that you dont have the room to do so.

I googled fish hook removal and got a couple of video examples, but cannot post links to them from work.

Basically you double up some stout (at least 12 pound test) fishign line. Wrap the double line around the hook gap near the skin. Press the eye of the hook into the skin and pull QUICKLY, SHARPLY, SUDDENLY on the line to rip the hook back out.

Bill Dance did it on his show many years back. Might be a video on his site.

MAKE SURE THE "HOOKEE" HAS HAD A TETNUS SHOT! Clean the wound as quickly as possible. Ice for pain.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 25 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The best way is to push it through and cut the barb off. Then back it out the way it went in. There are times that you dont have the room to do so.

I googled fish hook removal and got a couple of video examples, but cannot post links to them from work.

Basically you double up some stout (at least 12 pound test) fishign line. Wrap the double line around the hook gap near the skin. Press the eye of the hook into the skin and pull QUICKLY, SHARPLY, SUDDENLY on the line to rip the hook back out.

Bill Dance did it on his show many years back. Might be a video on his site.

MAKE SURE THE "HOOKEE" HAS HAD A TETNUS SHOT! Clean the wound as quickly as possible. Ice for pain.
Gotcha, don't forget JD for a disinfectant and pain killer

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I swear if mini didnt get it on the first pull i was going to kill him, well atleast atempt to. lol.

I hope the bill isnt too much, you still owe me form hooters!!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Rip, you are more of a man than i am! I dont ever see myself letting someone rip a hook out of my finger, i dont even want to think about it! Had one in the back of the ear before as a kid, cliped the barb and backed it out. Getting it in the finger though, man i didnt even like blood tests as a kid!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts